HybridZ

280Z front bumper on 280ZX?

PhilbertZ

This is my third attempt to post this here....let's see what happens.

I'm wondering if it's possible to bolt on the front bumper of a 280Z to the front of a 280ZX? I really like the gap and intergrated turn signals between the hood and bumper. And I really hate the look of the black and chrome bumper on mine - see the photo below (mine's in blue).

280Zvs280ZX.png

Anyone done this? Is it just a straight bolt on? Any fabbing needed? Can someone share pics if they've done it?

Thanks!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 280ZX nose is around 5" or so wider than a 280Z. you'd have to find a way to widen the bumper to make it work.

I'm in progress of widening a 240Z airdam to fit the ZX but I'm keeping my bumper...

if your looking to ditch the black and chrome, I'd sugguest finding a set of '83 bumpers. they're more modernized plastic type covered bumpers painted body color. its a cleaner look than the early ZX bumpers, but it still doesn't create a gap between the bumper and hood.

Heres a chop of my car i did i while ago os something I'd like to try with my spare 83 bumper and headlight buckets; collapse the shock and shorten the bumper to tuck it into the body a bit, shave the "nose cone" that meets up to the bumper and replace is by a flat piece of fiberglass, and then fill in the remaining gap at the inside corner of the headlight buckets with fiberglass. Lastly relocate the signals into the freshly opened up grille 280z style, and shave the cutouts in the bumper.

choppedzxresizedcopyuq8.jpgEdit: Forgot to mention replace stock air dam with a nicer looking aftermarket one of course. In this pic i just chopped out the grille. I tried doing that this summer and putting some bosche foglights in the opening, the stamped sheet metal inside the opening wasn't too pretty.

thanks Maxxx for the tips and the pic!

As mentioned in my initial post, I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't involve fabbing (shaving/fiberglas, etc) as I have no skills for that, and no specialty tools (and a measley 1 car garage right now...).

Was just thinking there might be an aftermarket front the bolted right on to get the desired effect.

If you got 'em, post 'em please.

BTW Maxx - looks like you have a drop of about 1 inch - is that a Tokiko kit?

As mentioned in my initial post, I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't involve fabbing (shaving/fiberglas, etc) as I have no skills for that, and no specialty tools (and a measley 1 car garage right now...).

Was just thinking there might be an aftermarket front the bolted right on to get the desired effect.

got the PS elements 2.0 drop kit

I f you want the same look as the 280Z that is pictured, just get the same MSA air as on that car, but the one for the ZX. Why would you want the stock 280Z bumper? It's huge and hideous.

768663_131_full.jpg

Thanks guys for the comments and ideas!

While the MSA bumper looks great -see below - it still doen't create the gap I seek, like in the S30 (also pictured). I really want something that allows me to move the turn signals into the grill (that's non existent on the existing S130).

Unless it's something that doesn't require shaving/fabbing/etc, I'll probalby leave as is...I just really hate the OEM S130 look I have now.

MSAfronton280Zgrillcircled.jpg

MSAfronton280ZXredsquare.jpg

i like the look of the s30 open mouth without the bumper on there. with just a kit. kind of like the member aziza on here. so what im in the process of doing is i cut out the middle section of the msa body kit even with the hood all the way down. then you fill in the turn signal holes with fiberglass resin and some bondo and wam big mouth bumper on an s130. oh ya and you will have to be creative when it comes to making new turn signal lights... i still have to figure that out myself. if wanted i will take pictures of the work ive done so far. and also you will need to make a support for the middle of the body kit if you remove the front bumper like i did.

• 1 month later...
Guest Z DVL

I hate that look too so i just took the bumper off and got some mesh to fill the gap. It's not too flash but it looks much better than having the bumper on there.

front day_thumb.JPG

front end dark_thumb.JPG

Guest bmxmike

Know this is old and im new to the Z's but looking at it the buckets sit higher on the S30 where as on the S130 it somes down at the angle which makes the hood connect with the bumper with no gap. Is there anyway to replace the buckets with S30 and S30 hood? Though I did just realize a problem with this plan. Is the hood the same size across as a S130 cause then that would need to be widend

I was thinking along the same line as bmxmike. You could swapped the headlight buckets and trim the excess off the s130 hood. Then you would only need someone to weld the front of the hood back to seal it up. Buy the msa air dam you hyperlinked and fill the turnsignal holes in and relocate them in the newly acquired space under the hood. This should give you the look you want.

Good luck fitting a S30 hood or buckets onto a S130, as they're completely different designes.

On both cars the buckets bolt to the fenders and the fenders are completely different.

Will all the time and effort trying to adapt everything you can just fabricate your own front end design for the car.