HybridZ

New Project 240z Cobra

TheNick

meh, 95' cobra... meh. Nobody really cares much about these cobras. They don't handle like the fox can, and there isn't the same potential as the later cobra engines so they get lost in the mix.

I've a huge SVT fan and I'm GLAD this motor is going into a Z :D

Sweet project.

Looks like you already have a pretty ferocious power plant in that Z right now.

Theres a guy next to my friends race team that messes with nothing but Mustangs and I was surprised when he said he gets those motors from the JY for around 500 to 600.

Easy way to get 300HP.

Tom

Anything I can possibly use for the Z is going to make its way over. I bought a completely stripped Z - no gauges - no interior no nothing. So I'm going to use as much of the Mustang as I can. Everything else I'm going to part out and try to make my money back. (I only paid $2k for the Mustang :hides:)

I've already ordered everything I'm going to use to mount up the motor/tranny - JTR radiator is on the way too.

The Mustang could be fixed - but it would take at least $3k to do so and in the end it won't be nearly as fast as the Z. The front radiator supports are completely fubard and the driver side needs pulled a little on a frame jig.

Was able to do some work on the car tonight - 55deg here in St. Louis

Pulled the upper intake manifold and intake hose off. Played around with disconnecting some wiring. There is a whole lot of stuff in this engine bay I don't know jack about - I'm coming from little Honda/Nissan 4 banger world. So I'm gonna hold off for a bit on top of the engine until my Mustang FSM gets here next week.

Next is to remove the exhaust and figure out the best way to hook onto the motor/tranny to get it out. Oh yeah and to drain all the fluids/ac.

This Saturday will be dedicated to the Z06 (www.corvettez06.org) as we get it ready for the Solo2 National Tour season - so hopefully its warm this weekend :)

The heads should be the GT40 heads, which were probably made in cleveland. Lemme double check that info for ya. I'll just edit this post.

EDIT: I can't find anything that the motors were made in cleveland, but the block is definately the "windsor" style just like the other 5.0 blocks. SVT has always taken pride in the fact that they asseble their cobras themselves, and they don't go down the regular production line. It's possible their engine assembling team was based in cleveland at the time in 95'.

BTW, the OD on your 5th gear is NICE. .68 should make a great highway cruising gear.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2328/2214554592_7af01a4bb3.jpg?v=0

HA! There's proof those Mustang motors are dogs! Seems to fit pretty well in the Z's engine bay though.:wink:

Cute puppy.

Dan, It appears you need a project of some sort....PLEASE! :D :biggrin: :D :biggrin:

TheNIck, where in STL do you live?

2213751897_a2fcfe426b.jpg?v=1201096926

This was the day I got her (Nov 26th) She is now about 5 months old:

2214538534_2bd34d7f3f.jpg?v=0

I live in St. Charles Terry

i thought there were supposed to be horses under the hood:eek:

BTW i will be interested to know if that cobra intake fits under the standard hood....measurements on mine dictated i will have to use the standard 5.0 intake which is about 1 1/2" lower.....i had it Moss ported to get it to flow a little better

keep us up to date with the project

paul

V8 Z240 011_thumb.jpg

V8 Z240 015_thumb.jpg

V8 Z240 016_thumb.jpg