HybridZ

Fan controller SPAL PWM

bjhines

Do you have the highest output setting wired up though? Or are you running low speed only?

It has its own temp sensor, it changes the speed of the fan depending on how high the temp is. I believe the controller is variable speed not just low or high. I am also using a Spal fan and a Afco alum radiator.

Rudy,

Chemicalblue is not using the 3 wire(2 speed) Taurus fan.

The Taurus fan draws only 17 amps on the low speed wire(235 WATTS).

It draws nearly 40 amps on the high speed wire(550 WATTS).

The absolute maximum current the Spal PWM can deal with is 30 amps(425 WATTS). Therefore the Spal PWM must only be used on the LOW speed wire.

To put this in perspective, I spent ~$100 on an aftermarket 14" fan from Summit that only draws 10 amps(145 WATTS).

Something else that should be noted is that

1. Fan CFM ratings(airflow) depend on the radiator they are mounted to(1 row vs 4 row).

2. Free airflow(low speed, high torque) current draw will be higher ... than the restrictive airflow(high speed, low tq) current draw.

3. Ultimately the CFM and current ratings given in Catalogs are useless for anything more than generalizations.

4. The Taurus fan beats the crap out of anything but the most expensive($450+) fans available.

5. The Taurus fan beats the crap out of most other fans ON THE LOW SPEED WIRE!!!! without resorting to the monstrous 40 amp current draw of the high speed wire.

I found a master list of everything the highly desireable Taurus fan comes on. This would make a great JY master pull list.

DORMAN PART NUMBER 620-101

so is this dorman aftermarket part equivalent to that of the factory issued rad fan setup? does it perform the same or is it "like" the original?

cause this is 125 bucks!

• 1 year later...

I manufacture a radiator fan controller here in Southern California for a Datsun shop called Mikes Z Shop in Whittier. The owner's name is Mark and he has a web page at www.mikeszshop.com that has been purchasing my controllers for about a year. He has found that these controller work and has just about zero problems except when audio radio shops mis-wire the controller and it stops working.

He has a lot of Z owners and other cars that were convert to an electic fan controlled by Auto Cool for best cooling in the summer and cars with after market AC systems.

This controller is very simple and easy to install and you can mount it under the hood, under the dash, or in the trunk. It has a black knob on the front that you can control the operating temperature of your radiator.

This first Auto Cool is a on off controller with an internal 30 amp relay. I am working on a pulse width modulated that is pure analog NOT A microprocess based controller. I will be having the printed cirucit board started in a few days. The prototype has been completed - now to get the package completed and into the market.

Darryl Dashiell

Radio Research, Ltd.

1-28-10

AUTO COOL AAA FOR ADS_thumb.jpg

AUTO COOL AAB FOR ADS_thumb.jpg

AUTO COOL AAD FOR ADS_thumb.jpg

GREEN GEO SENSOR 11-09_thumb.jpg