HybridZ

3000GT Motor swap

Guest Sick_Boy13

Guest Sick_Boy13

I noticed that the 3000GT had a 3.0 liter V6 the same size as the supra's 2JZGTE. Was wondering if anyone else had thought about doing that sort of swap, or if its worth my time to even try doing it. It really a project for school since I am going to wyotech and I wanted somehting of my own to work on.

If you could figure out how to make this engine RWD, it would be a pretty cool swap. These engines have alot of potential, although they are quite difficult to work on in the stealth3000gt platform. I had thought about this engine too, but I was stumped at the transverse mounting transmission. I think there is a forum dedicated to this engine platform ... 3SI.org or somthing similar, they are running rediculous horsepower and 1/4 times with these. Do some reasearch and see what comes up.

Good luck !

Chris

Hey guys,

In being a 3000 owner I thought I would jump in and try to help. rudypoochris pretty much got it. There are several cars and trucks that use the 6g72 engine. Nobody is trying to turn the engine on the 3s platform but one guy is putting a 6g72 in a tvr. He talks about a custom bell housing he got made from half of a shogun bell housing and a ZF bell housing for a BMW gearbox he wanted to use. http://www.tvrgto.com/index.php?itemid=7

Pete

I'm no expert, but I believe that there will be an issue of adapting a RWD tran onto a FWD/AWD engine. Much like the issue with the FWD SR20 and The RWD sr20 trannies.

Usually the truck/suv engines made in the late 80s threw the 90s were made in mexico and made with more leaniant quality standards, like the vg30's and the ka24's

Usually the truck/suv engines made in the late 80s threw the 90s were made in mexico and made with more leaniant quality standards, like the vg30's and the ka24's

Its the opposite for the Ford motors. Mexican blocks are desirable due to increased nickle content, or so they say.

I agree with the possibility of the engine not swapping over. If there is a rebuild involved though it probably isn't a huge deal to swap blocks. I still think that the engine might very well be the same though (bolt pattern wise).

Like others are saying, if you can figure out the tranny issues then go for it!

If you the OEM trannies won't work out, and you can't make a custom tranny adapter/bellhousing then there are MANY motors that we've talked about on this board, but know of no one who's done it.

Ford Supercoupe V6

Mercedes V8

BMW Inline 6

Any toyota 4 banger (they have some good truck motors)

Again, toyota truck motor, V6

Ford 460 ( i don't THINK it has beed done, but I'm probably wrong, I don't frequent the ford section here enough. but it'd be a wicked swap)

There are MANY swaps out there that havn't been done, but are perfectly viable swaps. If you're gonna be fabricating stuff for a custom swap that's never been done, the options seem endless imo.

Good luck with the project!

Like others are saying, if you can figure out the tranny issues then go for it!

If you the OEM trannies won't work out, and you can't make a custom tranny adapter/bellhousing then there are MANY motors that we've talked about on this board, but know of no one who's done it.

Ford Supercoupe V6

Mercedes V8

BMW Inline 6

Any toyota 4 banger (they have some good truck motors)

Again, toyota truck motor, V6

Ford 460 ( i don't THINK it has beed done, but I'm probably wrong, I don't frequent the ford section here enough. but it'd be a wicked swap)

There are MANY swaps out there that havn't been done, but are perfectly viable swaps. If you're gonna be fabricating stuff for a custom swap that's never been done, the options seem endless imo.

Good luck with the project!

The BMW has been done, but it's still cool! I think a BMW V12 has been done as well actually. I know a Jag has.

I'd like to see more VH45 swaps. Those are BAD.

The BMW has been done, but it's still cool! I think a BMW V12 has been done as well actually. I know a Jag has.

I'd like to see more VH45 swaps. Those are BAD.

Well what can I say, it's freakin' hard to keep up with all the swaps out there! And that's a GOOD thing.

The VH45 is definately a sweet motor. I'm personally more a fan of the 1UZ, but I'm not sure I could really tell you exactly why. They're both great motors, similar in many ways.

• 11 years later...

I had the same idea. I have a 3000gt sl that i want to 2j swap. In my opinion it wouldn’t be much work besides fabrication and tuning. I started thinking about cars that come stock with the 2j. I looked at the is300 gs300 and sc300. All are rear wheel drive. With that being said I was thinking you could just find a cheap one of the 3 maybe got in a wreck or no title. Then bam. You have a full drive train motor mounts and scrap metal to use. The al is just a fwd vr4 without the turbos. Exact same frame. Which means if you put it on a lift and look under the car you have a tunnel for a axel and a rear end. 

I wanna hear some feedback. Maybe I missed something or there are flaws in the thinking process. Every comment helps. Thanks

Edited by Prince

I think you're drastically underestimating your two steps of "fabrication and tuning", and everything that would go into that.

You'd be doing a lot of work for an engine that's possibly heavier and doesn't make any more power then the stock power plant.

Any reason why you wouldn't just do the AWD swap on your SL, and then turbo the stock power plant?