HybridZ

Custom center console (lots of pics)

calpoly-z

Well a few months ago I had the stereo stolen out of my car. It seems like the stock console never really held it a modern stereo in properly and I didn't particularly feel like giving away another head unit so I decided to pull out the stock console and build my own. At least thats how things started. While thinking about how I was going to do this i decided on building a two piece unit and carpeting the tranny tunnel between the front console and an arm rest. This lead to me deciding to carpet the entire front of the car. Pulling the passenger carpet led to a reminder of the rust holes which had to be fixed as well (pretty much a case of one thing leads to another and another and ...). Finally two months later the car is carpeted and the rust holes are fixed and part one of the original project is complete. My new center console now holds a standard single din unit very securely.

the bare basic design made of 1/2 inch MDF

DSCF0407.jpg

heres the back with sheet metal support and mounting bracket

DSCF0408.jpg

bare console fitted in place

DSCF0412.jpg

Vinyl covered with switches and speakers

DSCF0413.jpg

DSCF0417.jpg

DSCF0414.jpg

DSCF0416.jpg

some of the rust holes and patches

DSCF0401.jpg

DSCF0404.jpg

For the most part I'm pretty darn happy with how it came out. The switches arent quite where I wanted them but now that I have an initial prototype it wont be hard to build another if i decide to do so down the road.

Next is an armrest for between the seats w/ at least one cupholder and a locking storage area.

Let me know what you guys think and if anyone else has done similar I would love to see them for some more ideas.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Now I just need to make the thing a little more theft resistant by getting some security screws for the front mounts.

I've looked at mcmaster and fastenal and I can't seem to find any metric security screws. Everything seems to be english, but I need a couple M5 screws.

Does anyone have any idea where I could find something other than a standard allen head or torx?

The switches are electric fan, hazards , fog lights. They work great but they just didn't quite end up where I wanted them

I might be willing to make another couple of them depending on how much yall are willing to pay. The materials are pretty cheap, but it is pretty time consuming to build. If I get some time in the next couple months after I finish my armrest I might make a couple, but we'll have to wait and see. Depends on how much free time I can get.

I'll ask again since no one answered me before, but any idea where to find METRIC secturity screws?

Nice work, simple and clean! I love it.

Good job on fixing your rust too. Sounds like a busy couple months!

Evan

You may consider using phillips screws and caps that press into the heads. Realistically, if someone wants your stereo they will take it. But if you disguise the screws so the location of them cannot be detirmined from the outside of the car you may discourage the lazy thieves.