HybridZ

"Airport Z" project update

duragg

Been a while since I have done an update here on Hybridz.

Restoring a 1972 240Z ground up.

Replaced floorboards and strengthened frame.

Planning an LS2 / T56 (ls7??).

Long way to go.

Full log from start to now: http://www.desertzassociation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=759&start=30

fender1.jpg

fender3.jpg

fender4.jpg

BODY WORK QUESTION:

I know I am going to do a simple clean rear bumper that I will make myself. I have a good image in my mind of what I want to do there.

The front, I have no idea. I want a simple, clean look, not boy-racer. Needs to look menacing and functional. Any ideas?

I think the guy that makes them says they are an inch or two wider.

My stock sheetmetal was a little cruncy in that area so using these flares accomplished a few goals at once.

They retain the stock feel, but make room for big stickys.

Tj

"The Subtle fender kit adds 1.5 inches of width to each corner of the car. Depending upon backspace and suspension configuration, you can run up to 9.5 inch wide wheels with this kit", as mentioned by John washington of http://www.reactionresearch.com . Great guy to do business with as well as a quality kit.

Duragg, I was wondering what progress you had made since you last left off. Your project is my inspiration to start with my 73' turbo subtle z kit project, good to see more progress, looking very good !!!! Chris

Z truth is: Progress has been slow.

But from the start this was a 3 year project ...with a 5 year extension.

It all started here: http://www.desertzassociation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=759

Basic metal was made whole again (Soda blast and rust removal)

Camber plates installed.

Frame strenghtening rails and stitch welding.

Cut out spare tire bin for new fuel tank.

2008 = Seam sealing and friggan unbelievably expensive primer (wholy crap!)

I am basically done for this year financially on the project.

Will probably do little things like stainless steel hydraulic lines, and the Painless wiring kit. That should keep me busy a year or so with minimal investment.

I have picked out a cam for my LS2,.... it is about 18" tall with LSA of about half a turn and wont idle below 3500rpm.. :). Arizona has this cool law that if you promise not to drive a vintage car TOO much you don't need emissions. ... really I promise its a museum piece...

God Bless America.

Tj

Not to cut in on this thread but to answere MULL quetsion they do add about 1 1/2 inches and im running a 11 inch wide tire on a 10 inch rim and they are tucked under the fender nicely .

Say you got those from John the ones i ordered dont look near as nice and dont have the " wheel well lip " like the ones in youre photo

Jason