HybridZ

Short nose R230 and R200 info and why.

SATAN

You should post up a little bit about the situation that occured when it broke. Was it just brute torque that broke it? Or was it some wheel hop that was happening? Did your LSD not transfer power evenly to both wheels, or did it do it just too late since it is a VLSD? Any info you have to help others out would be great.

I have had it at the track over the years quite a bit and never had a known problem with these output shafts. (I never pulled them out to examine them either) Last week the local track re-opened after being closed for a couple of years. They re-paved the track, and had a few test and tunes to get some rubber on the track. The day I went, they poured several layers of VHT and the track was like glue. I have a brand new set of slicks and the guy I lined up against had previous times that were almost identical to my previous times. The burnout was great, no issues. My launch was a WOT, 6000 RPM launch and the car went maybe 1/2" on the launch. I let the clutch out, OK maybe I side stepped it, and all I heard was BAM. That was it. No more excitement. It is the VLSD and it has been fine.

I imagine it was major torque, new slicks, glue track and a "little agressive" launch. I wish I could add more to the learning curve.

Jody

• 4 months later...
SATAN: Did Mark Williams make a set of BEEFY stub axles and inboard CV half shaft mating flanges for you with 5x4.5 wheel stud spacing? What EXACTLY is the issue about of the CV shaft holding in the carrier?

Yes they did. The issue with the CV shaft holding in the carrier is... Paranoia. Ok not really. I know a guy in Puerto Rico who has broken them. Snaps the splines straight off, just like on the stub axles. This is in the standar 29 spline R200 though. He now runs the R230 in his z31. I was under the impression that both the Q45 R200 30 spline and the z32t R230 30 spline were both 30.9mm. According to this thread though, the z32t R230 is still a 30 spline but is 1mm larger in diameter than the Q45 R200 30 spline.

Normal R200 = 29 spline and 30mm.

Q45 six bolt R200 = 30 spline and 30.8mm

Z32T R230 = 30 spline and 31.8mm

here is what Mark Williams made for me.

Picture006-1.jpg

Picture007-2.jpg

Satan: Now there is a sturdy Stub Axle. Yet I had the same strength Stub Axle which works with the 300ZXT R200 CLSD which should withstand 700+ Ft/Lb torque. It was supplied by Modern Motorsports.

Hmm, no pic showed up.

Now, don't take this as bashing on Modern Motorsports, because they were very good and fair to me when I had problems with my set for the 300, but...

When I was talking with the guys at Mark Williams enterprises, I brought them the Modern Motorsports stub, and said " I need a companion flange for this." They said "Well... No can do. That is a very odd ball spline that is on there. That and a spline that fine should not even be used in drag racing. Not to mention the fact that they are not even hardened."

SO, they made me a completely new set (while using the M.M. bearings) That had a more coarse (and more common) spline on it, along with it being through hardened 4140 Cr-Mo, and thread in (not press in) studs. I am confident that MANY other things will break on the car LONG before these even break a sweat.

i just have a quick question, whats the wheel base in the rear of a 280z compared to the z31 and z32? any wider, are the mustache bars different? and if the wheel base is the same why not just swap the rear subframe an all into the 280z, best of both world disc brakes, better rear, so on and so forth. If i am in the wrong thread please direct me to the correct one!

Satan: Thanks for sharing the info with me. Did Mark Williams check the MM stub axle for hardness? If so then I need to go to Mark Williams and have them make similar stub axles and mating flanges with 4140 Cr-Mo. If I send them one of the stub axles can they make more similar? Please advise. Thanks.

Satan: Thanks for sharing the info with me. Did Mark Williams check the MM stub axle for hardness? If so then I need to go to Mark Williams and have them make similar stub axles and mating flanges with 4140 Cr-Mo. If I send them one of the stub axles can they make more similar? Please advise. Thanks.

Yes they can. They have my set on file. so they could pull that up again if need be. However, if you are doing something different, they would need to know as much info as possible for obvious reasons. They are in Denver essentially, so I just drove up there and gave them one of the M.M. Stubs with a bearing on it and an OEM companion flange. They made the kit from there. I have the bearing part numbers if you need for the z31 rear end, but can't help on any other application.

The M.M. components were not hardened at all. I know this because I had to take them to the machine shop across the street from where I work and have the center ring machined down so my nissan wheel would fit onto it. This was all before I decided not to go with M.M.

i just have a quick question, whats the wheel base in the rear of a 280z compared to the z31 and z32? any wider, are the mustache bars different? and if the wheel base is the same why not just swap the rear subframe an all into the 280z, best of both world disc brakes, better rear, so on and so forth. If i am in the wrong thread please direct me to the correct one!

Wrong thread, don't know where the right one is though. Don't know 280z subframe but... z31 subframe is way narrower than z32. People put 240sx sub's (Which is same but narrower than z32) into the z31. This enables MANY different suspension options along with short nose R200 options. Even R230 options are close to bolt on with that style subframe.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've actually been looking for info on my rear end. This helps out a ton.

I've been toying with the idea of rolling with a higher final drive instead of the 4.083 I have I just can't find any information on what will swap over from the plethora of r200's out there.

• 4 years later...

Whoohoo brought back from the dead!! Ok so the reason why I revived this is because I just picked up a long nose r200 vlsd from a 88 z31 ss. It has 29 spline and the diameter at the splines are 29.8mm. My question is has anyone tried to fit z32 non turbo stub shafts into th ss diff? Then I could use z32 non turbo axles in my build.

For reference look at the first pic on this post.