HybridZ
SATAN

Short nose R230 and R200 info and why.

rsicard    11

Satan: Thanks for sharing the info with me. Did Mark Williams check the MM stub axle for hardness? If so then I need to go to Mark Williams and have them make similar stub axles and mating flanges with 4140 Cr-Mo. If I send them one of the stub axles can they make more similar? Please advise. Thanks.

SATAN    10
Satan: Thanks for sharing the info with me. Did Mark Williams check the MM stub axle for hardness? If so then I need to go to Mark Williams and have them make similar stub axles and mating flanges with 4140 Cr-Mo. If I send them one of the stub axles can they make more similar? Please advise. Thanks.

Yes they can. They have my set on file. so they could pull that up again if need be. However, if you are doing something different, they would need to know as much info as possible for obvious reasons. They are in Denver essentially, so I just drove up there and gave them one of the M.M. Stubs with a bearing on it and an OEM companion flange. They made the kit from there. I have the bearing part numbers if you need for the z31 rear end, but can't help on any other application.

The M.M. components were not hardened at all. I know this because I had to take them to the machine shop across the street from where I work and have the center ring machined down so my nissan wheel would fit onto it. This was all before I decided not to go with M.M.

SATAN    10
i just have a quick question, whats the wheel base in the rear of a 280z compared to the z31 and z32? any wider, are the mustache bars different? and if the wheel base is the same why not just swap the rear subframe an all into the 280z, best of both world disc brakes, better rear, so on and so forth. If i am in the wrong thread please direct me to the correct one!

Wrong thread, don't know where the right one is though. Don't know 280z subframe but... z31 subframe is way narrower than z32. People put 240sx sub's (Which is same but narrower than z32) into the z31. This enables MANY different suspension options along with short nose R200 options. Even R230 options are close to bolt on with that style subframe.

jshull    0

I've actually been looking for info on my rear end. This helps out a ton.

I've been toying with the idea of rolling with a higher final drive instead of the 4.083 I have I just can't find any information on what will swap over from the plethora of r200's out there.

Whoohoo brought back from the dead!! Ok so the reason why I revived this is because I just picked up a long nose r200 vlsd from a 88 z31 ss. It has 29 spline and the diameter at the splines are 29.8mm. My question is has anyone tried to fit z32 non turbo stub shafts into th ss diff? Then I could use z32 non turbo axles in my build.

For reference look at the first pic on this post.