HybridZ

Re-Wire

Guest Shadow416

Guest Shadow416

Could anybody give me a rough estimate as to how much it would cost me to have a 1976 280Z almost completely rewired professionally? My friend is trying to sell me his, and he told me the person who previously owned it messed with the wiring, and my friend had to replace the computer and the wiring to the fuel injectors. He doesn't know to what extent they messed it up. If anything, how much would the wire cost, and how difficult would it be to do myself? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much:biggrin:

You may not even need the entire harness ....but perhaps just a dash harness? Take it apart and look for the problems....New OEM harnesses or a decent used ones are available. Ive seen harness sections on ebay many times.

No point in having someone charge you lots of money to make a new one.

There are many available....In fact I have a very nice 280Z harness, just not sure what year??

Bottom line....if your a Z owner learn to do repairs yourself. You will be surprised how easy it is......and fun.

A good vehicle wiring job from headlight to tail light seems to average around $3000 USD. This is "Street race car wiring", where there are usually as many systems as there are for a daily driver street car.

That being said, Jerry is probably correct in that the car doesn't need to be completly re-wired, but only portions of it. This can still be a costly endevour, depending on whether the harness that is needed is available or if it will ne to be built from scratch or repaired. There can also be some diagnostic time in there, if you are looking to re-pair what's already existing. If you do it yourself, you could most likely get away with making the necissary repairs for less than $1000 USD, depending on how far you go. A basic harness, such as what is offered by Painless, EZ, and a few other vendors average around $400, depending on how many circuits you need/want, etc. This latter part is for a complete re-wire, repairing what is there, can vary quite a bit.

If it were me, I would re-pair what is known to be bad and go from there, you may find that the rest of the harness is just fine.

You can find a harness on e-Bay cheap, less than $200 for the whole car. You need to figure out exactly what the problem is, you may not need to replace anything. Get a 1976 factory service manual to start with.

Good luck

I bought the full color diagram off eBay for my Z. it was extremely helpful when I was tearing my harness out and labeling it, much easier to follow than those stupid black and white diagrams that are spread all over throughout the book. I found only two very minor discrepancies with the whole thing. I did it because the last owner screwed with the heater fan speed circuit and I thought it would pretty bad but just ended up being two wires cut and crossed.

If you decide that you don’t want to deal with the harness you have I am selling my harness soon, and for much cheaper than any painless harness is going to cost you. It is in good shape, all new injector plugs and water temp/thermo switch plugs. Problem is I am selling the whole electric system together; body and engine/EFI harnesses, ECU, air flow meter, ignition unit, and switches. You probably don’t need all that but PM me if you are interested.

When I did the wiring in my 280ZX for my turbo swap I changed virtually EVERY WIRE over from the turbo donor, minus some very small things like electric door locks, etc.

My working conditions sucked about as much as possible, and I don't have a good collection of tools. If I was in a shop and had both cars there I could do the entire wiring swap in a day easy.

So keep that in mind when a shop quotes you 3k for custom wiring. You're not paying them to put the wiring in, you're paying for them to design a system for your specific car, and then do all the cutting, soldering, and/or clamping required to get it done.

I'd suggest playing with it yourself first with a new harness. It's not that bad.