HybridZ

240Z L28ET project

Right now I'm just waiting to get some money together to buy ARP head studs, Cometic head gasket, ACT clutch, AZC billet differential mount, and some other odds and ends. Then I need to take care of the wiring conversion, permanently mount the Autometer gauges, reinstall the heater box and dashboard, and get the new drivetrain installed. Last step once that is done is to take care of the fuel system, which I've decided to go with a fuel cell so I'll need to cut out the spare tire well and fab up a cradle. Slowly but surely!

Progress pics:

Drivetrain components: Z32 tranny with Mazworks billet adapter plate, Fidanza short shifter, Fidanza flywheel, Modern Motorsport billet axle adapters, rebuilt and modified Z31 cv axles, Z31 clutch-type LSD, custom-length driveshaft

000_0868.jpg

Turbo being taken apart to get rebuilt

000_0873.jpg

Engine cleaned up and painted, test fitted AZC aluminum oil pan.

000_0866.jpg

000_0869.jpg

Edited by MazterDizazter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This week I took advantage of the media blaster at the shop I'm "intern" at, and bead-blasted a whole bunch of exterior engine parts:

000_0898.jpg

And since I don't have the budget to powdercoat them all right now (if only I had a crappy oven that I could dedicate!), I dug through my stock of engine paint:

000_0901.jpg

These should come out looking nice!

I also picked up the speedometer pinion gear I need to convert the Z32 transmission from electronic to mechanical speedo:

000_0900.jpg

• 1 year later...

Yeah... I dunno. I really want to keep it but it's tough because haven't had time or money to put towards it. I'm very close to having all the parts for the swap (I only need a clutch, clutch hydraulics, differential mount and mustache bar, 280Z stub axles and some other odds and ends like I/C piping and fuel system stuff), but the rest of the car needs a decent amount of work, too.

Initially I put it up for sale because I saw an all-original, one-owner '73 Z with low original miles on it that I thought I wanted, but the more I think of it, do I really want a car that I can't modify, that takes 10 seconds to do 0-60 instead of 0-100? This is a difficult decision. Clive, I left you my # but I think I'm going to keep everything unless I get an offer I can't refuse. It's not doing any harm sitting in my garage so I guess I can wait.

Edited by MazterDizazter

• 11 months later...

Well guys, I'm sorry to say it but I sold the Z yesterday. After 2 years of the project stagnating I decided that enough was enough. A lot happened since then; I worked as a sales rep for Audi and got to lease a 2012 S4 for 6 months... Having a brand new car absolutely spoiled it for me, and I decided that it was time to have just one project and one new car. Then the Subaru BRZ was released earlier this year and it's the first new car I've ever really wanted to own! I see it as the closest spiritual successor to the original Z car, much moreso than the overweight 370Z. I figured I had the choice to either spend $30k on the BRZ over 5 years and get the car right away, or spend that same $30k over 5 years restoring the Datsun. No doubt the end result of the Z would be nicer, but I'd have to wait 'til I'm in my 30's, and that's just not cool; I want something I can enjoy now!

I know I haven't been too active on the forums, but I just wanted to thank those who helped me along the way, bid you all farewell and who knows, maybe someday I'll get another one or if Nissan gets off their arses and builds a purer Z, you might see me on here again! If anyone here is on FT86club.com (BRZ/FR-S forum), give me a shout - I'm "Turbowned" over there. :)

Cheers,

Corey

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

P.S. Clive, I still have the L28ET long block with stock turbo and most of the ancillaries if you know anyone who needs one. I'll put it up on Craigslist this weekend, most likely.

Edited by MazterDizazter