HybridZ

Wide ZG-flares - where can I get them?

mull

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 280ZForce
280ZForce, what size rear tire is that in the picture? Wheel offset? Thanks!

it's a 315/35 on a 17x10.5 w/ I think -6 offset, 5.5" backspacing.

Not to hijack...I have had these for years. My friend picked them up while on travel to Nissan in Japan (he works for them). They are only the rears if anyone is interested PM me. He said they call them 3 liter overfenders.

http://www.putfile.com/album/180531

I got a set friend who works for Nissan as well and he sent me a set. Currently they are out to a guy who is going to remake them out of Carbon Fiber for a future project. I did not think much of them when I had them at the house because he also sent the Works style kit too which has even bigger rear flares. This guy is trying to stuff 16x14 Panasports under the rear of this car.

I got a set friend who works for Nissan as well and he sent me a set. Currently they are out to a guy who is going to remake them out of Carbon Fiber for a future project. I did not think much of them when I had them at the house because he also sent the Works style kit too which has even bigger rear flares. This guy is trying to stuff 16x14 Panasports under the rear of this car.

The tire size and the ruler measurements posted earlier can be misleading. Flares don't usually get mounted so that the lip sticks out perpendicular to the body, which I think is why the measurement is misleading. If I had to guess, I'd say the one with the tape measure is probably a 3" flare. I have a very common bubble flare for my car, and it is a 3" flare but measured from the mounting flange to the lip probably gets 6 or 7 inches. The tire size quoted earlier is also misleading in my opinion. Pinching a wide tire on a narrow rim might allow the tire to fit within the flare, but doing that to the extent necessary to fit a 335 under the flares pictured would require using a narrow rim that isn't the "right" size for the tire (not recommended by the tire manufacturers if nothing else). A 335 should probably go on a 12 or 13 inch rim (check with the tire manufacturer for your preferred brand), and I do not think that a rim that wide will fit inside any of the flares talked about here.

Assuming that a 12 or 13 won't fit, then the aforementioned 16x14" wheel won't fit under the flares in this thread or the works flares either. That is a seriously huge wheel and tire and I'd bet dollars to donuts that it will require something a bit more aggressive. Clifton's thread on fitting 15x14 wheels with 350mm wide rears is particularly useful for the gigantic rear tire crowd. In my opinion he got it exactly right.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=842149

You must know Prenton-san too...? Are you his friend that is storing some of his parts? PM me if you are he has a turbo exhaust manifold with my name on it. :)

Anyways, after many PM's I decided and listed them on a quick 3 day Ebay auction, item # 160217425077.

There must be an offset difference due to the larger diameter rim. I'm trying to fit a 15x12 under that 3" flare. I'm already expecting that I'll have to chop and modify the flare. I know you can move the wheel in because you have more clearance on the inside due to the larger diameter, but I was also rubbing the inner fender at full bump with my smaller diameter 15's, so I'm still a bit confused as to how this all works out. Clifton was fitting a 275 under a stock fender on his silver car if I recall, and his was rubbing a bit on the inside. Did you pull the spring and compress the suspension and check for clearance? Does it rub on the inside?

Jeff,

They look very similar to the extra-wide version of the ZG-style rear overfenders developed and made by a small company called 'Marugen Shokai', based in Hokkaido, Japan. I have no idea where 280ZForce's rear overfenders were originally made, but they look very similar to the Marugen Shokai versions.......

This is a company with a very high reputation in Japan, renowned for producing some of the most accurate replicas of the original factory ZG parts on the market today.

They make an extra-wide version of the rear ZG factory-style overfender, and you can see it on one of the pages of their website, here:

http://home.att.ne.jp/sky/FairladyZ/Body/Bodymain.htm

Does anyone have pics of these puppies installed?

http://home.att.ne.jp/sky/FairladyZ/Body/works/works_photo003.htm

1 fast z,

Your 2+2 will have a little more room in the rear then the coupe's. Probably not a valid comparison in this situation. Love what you have done with engine BTW. Clever man!

I don't think so. I checked the measurements in the FSM a couple weeks ago when someone PM'd me to ask if they were different. Everything around the rear had the same measurements.

280zforce: You originally have ZG Fender flairs correct? Did the rear fender you have now bolt into the same place you had the ZG's installed? I'm ordering some ZG for now, but would like to get yours whenever you finish everything, but if I have to redrill I'd rather wait it out on the ZG's.

Guest 280ZForce
280zforce: You originally have ZG Fender flairs correct? Did the rear fender you have now bolt into the same place you had the ZG's installed? I'm ordering some ZG for now, but would like to get yours whenever you finish everything, but if I have to redrill I'd rather wait it out on the ZG's.

Yes, I originally had standard ZGs in the rear... but I had them placed lower on the fender and the fender wasn't cut at the time cuz I had a whole differ wheel and suspension setup. I then cut my fenders and in the process I got a hold of these flares. So I never hold old bolt holes to go off of cuz the old ones were part of what I cut off.

I will look into the bolt hole spacing though and get back to you on that.

Guest 280ZForce
280zforce are we talking about my huge zg fender flares????haha hope theyre coming along well!..keep me posted i might need another set...

Hey Oscar, indeed we are talking bout them, again, huge thanks for loaning them to me so I could make my own. I'm still waiting for ya to pick them up. How's your Z coming along?