HybridZ
BRAAP

LAZY/broken shift keys RANT! Does this apply to you? Lets clean it up, please?

Zmanco    13

BRAAP, I think you nailed it in the title: the answer is usually just laziness. This is a huge pet peave of mine. If you can't take the minute or so to read the post before launching it, why should the rest of us spend any time answering?

When I ask people I haven't even met to help me solve my problem, the least I can do is make it easier for them to understand what I'm asking! Seems like common sense to me, but I can't help but wonder what those who make incomprehensible posts are thinking.

But I fear that those who are the biggest offenders haven't read even this far. Sigh...

240hoke    32

Mozilla Firefox checks you spelling for you, it really is a great browser so if you guys haven't switched I recommend it. That last sentence I typed I miss spelled 4 words, so its a lifesaver for me.

Not only am I not a good speller I type way to fast for my own good and do things like "hte" instead of "the"... but I'm working on it ;).

woldson    11

Seems like there has been alot of new members recently. How about adding Braap's "rant" to the newbie section? This is where alot seems to be coming from.

I know that I do not have much room to say much on the matter. What really sucks is my vocabulay is extensive and my spelling sucks, "catch 22", "I'am soo cold".

I do add "stuff" to my typing in order to convey humor or sarcasium. Try to add a :) to your english paper for example.........

BRAAP    244
Braap,

I totally agree and would like to add the following:

1. Bad spelling makes it that much more difficult to use the search function. As a example lets assume I misspelled a common search term such as "power steering". Instead I spelled it "power sttering", noticed the error but neglected to fix it. If my post had information in it that another would find useful but it never is picked up by the search I've diminished the usefulness of my post.

2. Bad grammar can lead to misunderstandings of what the original poster was trying to say leading to additional unnecessary questions to clarify the meaning. This makes it more difficult for a subsequent user to find the useful information in the thread, assuming there is any.

3. The FireFox browser has the ability to perform spell checking on text entered into a web page, use it instead of Explorer if you need a built in spell checker. Granted it won't catch all the mistakes but it will catch most.

4. The text entry capabilities of browsers do not compare to MS Word (which has auto-correct, auto-capitalize, auto-???), don't assume you can just type and the program will fix your stupidity.

5. Bad grammar, spelling and MALL speak reflect on the perceived intelligence of the poster and this board. Do us all a favor and at least sound like you know what you're talking about!!!

OK, I'll climb down off my soap box now, if the admins want to delete my post or ask me to refrain I understand and will comply.

Wheelman

EXCELLENT points Ken and thank you for bringing up how that also affects the search engine. #5 hit the nail on the head in my mind.

mY keyboarD haS A shifT keY?

:lmao::lmao: Too funny. I like it and just thought of a new user title for you. :lmao:

User title change thread...

cygnusx1    12

I posted about a built in spell checker about two years ago. I was informed that there is one here. I don't use it because I can't find it anymore.

This is less about accidental misspelling and more about lazy typing. Accidental misspelling can be excused now and then. I re-read my posts a few times after posting them and then go back to edit them.

For some reason my brain won't proof read them until they have been posted? Does that happen to anyone else? :windows:

DavyZ    403

Nah, I just use Firefox and it underlines each misspelled word. Just like "Nah" at the beginning of the first sentence.

The one catch phrase from Verbal Advantage is, "People judge you by the words you use..." That is true. In written form, it becomes even more evident. I would say that many on the forum who don't use proper grammar or punctuation take longer to gain credibility with the other members. Why? For the simple reason that it's difficult to distinguish their writing from a kid's writing who may be ten or eleven years old.

Thanks to all who make this a better place for the search function and my aching head...

Davy

Austin240Z    10
Nah, I just use Firefox and it underlines each misspelled word. Just like "Nah" at the beginning of the first sentence.

I have the same same spell checking function on firefox as well. Makes life a little simpler.

I have to say, I am glad that I dont see as many "HI I LIKE Z'S DO YOU KNOW HOW I CAN MAKE IT UBER FAST SO I CAN DRIFTOOOOOOOO?"

It seems like the majority of the people on here are pretty goods about making sure they are civil and well understood. :icon14:

capt_furious    12

The phenomenon that made AOL the repository of HAY YOU GUYS (L)users has now branched out into the rest of the world. Cheap, easy access to the web has brought it out of the realm of exclusivity for the tech-savvy and 'geeky' and into common use for pretty much everyone. A person used to have to know a bit about computers and be somewhat a cut above the general population to get around on the web. The expense of having a web-capable piece of technology also prevented a lot of people from browsing the web. Now just about anyone can hop on a computer and go invade forums like ours. Cheap computers, cheap access, and web-capable devices are everywhere, as are their less than professional or courteous (L)users.

If people have trouble with their shift key, they probably have trouble with their turn signal and checking over their shoulder before changing lanes...it's the same mentality. It's right at their fingertips, but they can't be bothered to use it, because it's not important to them and people that their behavior offends(or in the case of the turn signal, endangers) aren't important to them, either. From their point of view, we grammar nazis are just too uptight and need to chill out...from our point of view, they're lazy twits. While both sides are probably right to a considerable extent, it holds regardless that typing in a manner that is legible and easy to read is more conducive to getting one's point across. Don't expect people to expend the extra effort to understand shorthand or your lack of effort in using the resources at your disposal to correct your grammar and spelling.

RANT: You know what annoys me the most? pEopLe whO tYpe As iF theY'vE Got aN iNtERmiTtenT sHoRt iN tHieR sHiFt kEy. Do you have any idea how much effort it takes to type like that? You're honestly going to expend the effort to put in random capitalization because it 'looks cool' and 'that's the way you roll' when it's discourteous and annoying to others, and would take LESS effort on your part to simply type properly? GET OUT.

I've Also Seen People Type Like This. I Appreciate Your Effort, But You Don't Need To Use Your Shift Key That Much. Again, your overexertion is making it difficult for people to communicate with you.

Lastly, learn how to properly use a [email protected]#$% apostrophe! It's not that difficult!

apostropheposter.jpg

Guest gold83zx   
Guest gold83zx

Poor spelling has always been a pet peeve of mine. It would be great if people would spell check if they aren't sure of their post contents.

Brian

PhilbertZ    10

Thank god for your post - if you guys want to feel better about HybridZ, just hop over to www.e46fanatics.com for a dose of "mall rats" and bad grammar. That's what I have to put up with for my other car.

"Breaks"...."Definately"..."ne1"...those are some of my favorites.

So nice to have real English written here - I feel like I'm among real adults :)

Barrel_Ball    12

This thread reminds me of my english classes all over again, except it's actually entertaining, this time around. I seem to have a tendency to type too fast and screw up spelling too, or just type a completely wrong letter by reflex, or two of the same letter when I shouldn't, but at least I try to correct it before posting. Windows Live Messenger is to blame for that.

zgeezer    3
Thanks Ron, I feel so much better now that I've done my penance. :)

I've learned my lesson, I'll never post in one of these threads again, those reading the thread are extra sensitive to spelling and grammar errors. :)

Wheelman

Back in the Dark Ages before the magic of DOS, my form letters would refer to an enclosed "Self Addressed Envelope" enclosed with my monthly statement. The undercover Grammar Police, posing as two of my clients, sent me rude, inconsiderate, and downright nasty letters suggesting that envelopes are inanimate objects and have no ability to "self address" themselves. The proper phrase being "pre-addressed" and "pre-franked" envelopes. They not only questioned my education, but suggested that my IQ number was probably in the high two figures. I was shocked. Yes, I was also hurt. I changed the form letters. I also became very aware of spelling and grammar: something I thought I escaped when I graduated from high school.

I really appreciate the generally high level of communication skills I see on this site.

g

g