Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

LAZY/broken shift keys RANT! Does this apply to you? Lets clean it up, please?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 Chaparral2f

Chaparral2f

2F-001, 2F-002

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationEqagle Point, OR

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:07 PM

I agree, its hard to put up with posts that can't be read. I'm a knuckle dragging truck driver but at least I proofread and edit my own stuff. But then I guess some people just don't give a shift.
If you're gonna be stupid, You gotta be tough!
'84 Z31 350 sbc 4 1/2" setback Full tubular frame Jag front suspension Jag Dana 44 posi rear

#22 m4xwellmurd3r

m4xwellmurd3r

Mmmmm... Bananas so good.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Locationavondale, az

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:07 PM

I just like using Fire Fox for that. It has a built in spell checker that underlines misspelled words in red. Not 100% perfect, but for general spelling mistakes it works pretty well.

After spending time looking at the situation rationally, I decided that owning a fuel burning engine that has a rated life of about 3 miles would be a stupid move. So this afternoon I sent my pal a check for $1350.

signature?
you mean you want my signature? what are ya, identity thieves? jk.
-Max, Owner of a 78 280z

#23 Stealth-Z

Stealth-Z

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:17 PM

Among my eBay searches: titles containing "Dotsun" "Datson" and "Breaks".......

I have found some good stuff with very few viewers / bidders.

You may want to add "obsolute" to your ebay searches.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

1/2 interest in a 73 240Z and the wife's 91 300ZX 2+2.

#24 Mauisnow13

Mauisnow13

Hardly Freezing 31

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:11 PM

It's actually harder for me to type all weird than if I just use proper grammar and spelling. Plus, if I type something wrong or use bad grammar, it really irritates me.
Posted Image
  • 1987 Porsche 944 - SOLD
  • 1970 240z #1542 - SOLD
  • 1991 300zx Twin Turbo

#25 Darrel

Darrel

Lexdystic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Locationdenver

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:50 PM

mY keyboarD haS A shifT keY?
82 280zxt 4 spd auto
73 240z--lsd, cv axles
things will only bother you if you let them
ferget donations, I'm into blackmail.
SAY NO TO SITE BASHING, ANY SITE.

#26 Challenger

Challenger

ReMembered

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2932 posts
  • Location99208

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:13 PM

ACTUALLY ALOT OF PEOPLE WILL WRITE LIKE THIS.

Darrel in your sig. "ferget"="forget". While were on the subject... :)
Derek
78 280z Dark Shadow Grey 2+2: L28et, MS2, HX35W, FMIC, Tial WG, Tokicos, Rear Disks, bla, bla, bla.
Posted Image

#27 Zmanco

Zmanco

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1570 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, Colorado

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:26 PM

BRAAP, I think you nailed it in the title: the answer is usually just laziness. This is a huge pet peave of mine. If you can't take the minute or so to read the post before launching it, why should the rest of us spend any time answering?

When I ask people I haven't even met to help me solve my problem, the least I can do is make it easier for them to understand what I'm asking! Seems like common sense to me, but I can't help but wonder what those who make incomprehensible posts are thinking.

But I fear that those who are the biggest offenders haven't read even this far. Sigh...
Daniel
'73 240Z

"As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

#28 RedEvilrps13

RedEvilrps13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationManchester, New Hampshire

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:08 PM

Wow, finally a forum i won't get bitched at for being a grammar nazi!
Posted Image
Laugh and tease all you want, but my 2+2's hump is better looking than your girl's will ever be.
"I'd rather have 6 in the front than 6 in the rear." -jmortensen

#29 m4xwellmurd3r

m4xwellmurd3r

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Locationavondale, az

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:07 AM

There's a grammar Nazi in us all.
Kind of like how there's a little child in us all screaming "Go faster go faster!!"

After spending time looking at the situation rationally, I decided that owning a fuel burning engine that has a rated life of about 3 miles would be a stupid move. So this afternoon I sent my pal a check for $1350.

signature?
-Max, Owner of a 78 280z

#30 240hoke

240hoke

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1429 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:56 AM

Mozilla Firefox checks you spelling for you, it really is a great browser so if you guys haven't switched I recommend it. That last sentence I typed I miss spelled 4 words, so its a lifesaver for me.

Not only am I not a good speller I type way to fast for my own good and do things like "hte" instead of "the"... but I'm working on it ;).

1971 240z w/ VQ35DE

www.HokePerformance.com

Modern Performance. Vintage Style. 

FaceBook Page

#31 OlderThanMe

OlderThanMe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2897 posts
  • LocationATLANTA

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:09 AM

Wow, finally a forum i won't get bitched at for being a grammar nazi!

2 errors...
Capitalization and not "family friendly."

:iospalo:
[URL="http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=137080"][/URL]

#32 woldson

woldson

Sputnik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1794 posts
  • LocationSpokane wa.

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:10 AM

Seems like there has been alot of new members recently. How about adding Braap's "rant" to the newbie section? This is where alot seems to be coming from.
I know that I do not have much room to say much on the matter. What really sucks is my vocabulay is extensive and my spelling sucks, "catch 22", "I'am soo cold".
I do add "stuff" to my typing in order to convey humor or sarcasium. Try to add a :) to your english paper for example.........

#33 BRAAP

BRAAP

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4166 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:27 AM

Braap,
I totally agree and would like to add the following:
1. Bad spelling makes it that much more difficult to use the search function. As a example lets assume I misspelled a common search term such as "power steering". Instead I spelled it "power sttering", noticed the error but neglected to fix it. If my post had information in it that another would find useful but it never is picked up by the search I've diminished the usefulness of my post.

2. Bad grammar can lead to misunderstandings of what the original poster was trying to say leading to additional unnecessary questions to clarify the meaning. This makes it more difficult for a subsequent user to find the useful information in the thread, assuming there is any.

3. The FireFox browser has the ability to perform spell checking on text entered into a web page, use it instead of Explorer if you need a built in spell checker. Granted it won't catch all the mistakes but it will catch most.

4. The text entry capabilities of browsers do not compare to MS Word (which has auto-correct, auto-capitalize, auto-???), don't assume you can just type and the program will fix your stupidity.

5. Bad grammar, spelling and MALL speak reflect on the perceived intelligence of the poster and this board. Do us all a favor and at least sound like you know what you're talking about!!!

OK, I'll climb down off my soap box now, if the admins want to delete my post or ask me to refrain I understand and will comply.

Wheelman

EXCELLENT points Ken and thank you for bringing up how that also affects the search engine. #5 hit the nail on the head in my mind.

mY keyboarD haS A shifT keY?

:lmao: :lmao: Too funny. I like it and just thought of a new user title for you. :lmao:

User title change thread...

#34 RedEvilrps13

RedEvilrps13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationManchester, New Hampshire

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:25 AM

not "family friendly."

:iospalo:

BiTe Me LoL

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Posted Image
Laugh and tease all you want, but my 2+2's hump is better looking than your girl's will ever be.
"I'd rather have 6 in the front than 6 in the rear." -jmortensen

#35 cygnusx1

cygnusx1

SID

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3838 posts
  • LocationHudson Valley, NY

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:27 AM

I posted about a built in spell checker about two years ago. I was informed that there is one here. I don't use it because I can't find it anymore.

This is less about accidental misspelling and more about lazy typing. Accidental misspelling can be excused now and then. I re-read my posts a few times after posting them and then go back to edit them.

For some reason my brain won't proof read them until they have been posted? Does that happen to anyone else? :windows:

#36 DavyZ

DavyZ

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 5366 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:21 AM

Nah, I just use Firefox and it underlines each misspelled word. Just like "Nah" at the beginning of the first sentence.

The one catch phrase from Verbal Advantage is, "People judge you by the words you use..." That is true. In written form, it becomes even more evident. I would say that many on the forum who don't use proper grammar or punctuation take longer to gain credibility with the other members. Why? For the simple reason that it's difficult to distinguish their writing from a kid's writing who may be ten or eleven years old.

Thanks to all who make this a better place for the search function and my aching head...

Davy

#37 Austin240Z

Austin240Z

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:14 AM

i is not so spelling good
CURRENT CARS: -------- '93 300ZX Convertible - Daily -------- '77 280Z 2+2 "Zombie" - Current Project
PAST CARS: -------- '72 240Z "Demon Z" Bought on 06/06/06 - (Intentionally Destroyed) -------- '77 280Z ZZZap Edition - Sold
Posted Image

#38 Austin240Z

Austin240Z

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:18 AM

Nah, I just use Firefox and it underlines each misspelled word. Just like "Nah" at the beginning of the first sentence.

I have the same same spell checking function on firefox as well. Makes life a little simpler.

I have to say, I am glad that I dont see as many "HI I LIKE Z'S DO YOU KNOW HOW I CAN MAKE IT UBER FAST SO I CAN DRIFTOOOOOOOO?"

It seems like the majority of the people on here are pretty goods about making sure they are civil and well understood. :icon14:
CURRENT CARS: -------- '93 300ZX Convertible - Daily -------- '77 280Z 2+2 "Zombie" - Current Project
PAST CARS: -------- '72 240Z "Demon Z" Bought on 06/06/06 - (Intentionally Destroyed) -------- '77 280Z ZZZap Edition - Sold
Posted Image

#39 m4xwellmurd3r

m4xwellmurd3r

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Locationavondale, az

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:09 PM

i is not so spelling good

spelling good, grammar bad.

signature?
-Max, Owner of a 78 280z

#40 jknc90

jknc90

Cereal Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:14 PM

spelling good, grammar bad.

:lol:
Jon