HybridZ

Kameari L6 timing gear tensioner kit

ozconnection

I recently found a website that advertises a timing set made by a Japanese company called Kameari. They produce a variety of go fast parts for the L4 and L6 engines.

Of particular interest was their Timing set. Have a look at this: http://www.zccjdm.com/catalog.php/azcarbum/dt/pd858282#IMAGES

Has anyone used this setup??

What are your thoughts on this and is it worth the money?

• Administrators

High quality parts for sure. This kit replaces the OE “wiping” chain guides on the slack side with rollers which offers just a tad less friction.

The Kameari chain adjuster requires manual chain tension adjustment, vs the OE automatic chain tension adjustment via oil pressure. Not an issue, just a difference.

If you are building a mostly stock to mild L-series, the OE chain tensioning system works fantastic and has proven itself to be reliable, dependable, more than adequate to do the job it was intended to do. For a mega hot street set up, race build, or for show purposes, the Kameari set up is definitely icing on the cake. Even for a stock to mild street build, if your budget allows, go for it. :2thumbs:

Thanks Braap! How much friction is there with the standard setup compared to one of these? I mean, can the power difference be measured by an engine or even a chassis dyno?

After starting this thread, I did what i should have done, a little digging. Found some older threads that talked about this setup and I'm wanting to see what those who have them have to say about throttle response and the noise that they make, good or bad!

How about idler sprocket wear and no automatic tension adjustment of the timing chain? How often would you have to check on this situation to make sure that all is well? Does any advice about this come with the installation instructions?

Just curious, thanks for your advice!:burnout:

Agree with Brapp 100% on this one. I run this on my race 240. It truly is a fantastic bit of kit. A must for anyone wanting to use high rpm, and a "nice to have" on a road car.

I've had no problems with wear and it's dead quick to adjust. Sharpens up your throttle response after youv'e tightened it, but wines a bit like a supercharger if you over do it a tad!

heh. Reminds me of tightening up the chain on a fixed gear or single speed bicycle. I would have to assume that (just like on a fixed gear) you get some binding if you tighten up too much, at which point you would be losing power from the binding.

Agree with Brapp 100% on this one. I run this on my race 240. It truly is a fantastic bit of kit. A must for anyone wanting to use high rpm, and a "nice to have" on a road car.

I've had no problems with wear and it's dead quick to adjust. Sharpens up your throttle response after youv'e tightened it, but wines a bit like a supercharger if you over do it a tad!

I love the whine, I had timing gears on my old C10 and it sounded amazing.