HybridZ

Looking at going with a 3.0 stroker from Rebello, or maybe not?

bonfire79

Hey fellas,

This is my first time posting on Hybrid z. I usually spend most of my time over on zcar.com, but I like this site too :icon44:

I recently talked to Dave over at Rebello racing and we talked about a possible motor build for my 280z which is a daily driver. I have a budget around $5000 or so. Here is what Dave had to offer - a new 3.0 L block, stroker crank, camshaft of my choice, turbo oil pump (included), new valvetrain components, pistions, rods, springs, lifters, etc...

And a complete port/polish job on my current N42 head. He also said they would do the megasquirt upgrade for $1K, but I don't think i can afford it on top of everything else.

Dave quoted me $4500 to do the whole thing, and as an added bonus, he said I could just send him my head instead of my whole engine since I live in North Carolina and shipping will be $$$.

I have read alot of posts about the pros/cons of doing stroker motors vs. turbo setups. Seems like most people prefer the turbo setups.

What I really like about Rebellos' offer is that the entire engine will be completely rebuilt with professional quality. However, it sounds so much cheaper to go the turbo route.. on that note, if I went ahead with a turbo engine swap, I would probably want that engine rebuilt since it would most likely come out of a junk yard and might be in not-so-good-condition.

Another thing that I have thought about is doing a bolt on turbo setup to my existing NA engine. I am not quite sure if this is a good idea though. I have heard that is possible if I get the right turbo parts. - AFM, ecu, wiring harness, Turbo unit, downpipe, and exhaust manifold etc. As long as I don't go too high on boost, it should be okay. This is what I've been told.

I told Dave what my goals were and what I was looking for in HP and drivability on the street and that my car is a daily driver. Nothing insane, but I do want to be able to survive on the track should I decide to go there.

I have the money in my hands, am I am ready to give my Z some kick, whichever route I go.

What do you guys think? The pic is of my car. People see the hood and ask me what's under it... I always hate saying "it's got the stock motor in it" They expect me to say V8!

Thanks,

Bon

car2_thumb.jpg

car1b_thumb.JPG

Welcome to HybridZ!

You could do a 3.0 turbo... :-D

Since the motor would get new pistons, just put in lower compression pistons. You can run it N/A until you get the turbo stuff ready to go on.

That is my suggestion. Rebello puts out some pretty sweet motors. Their 3.2 with tripple Webers sounds incredible!

Welcome to HybridZ!

You could do a 3.0 turbo... :-D

Since the motor would get new pistons, just put in lower compression pistons. You can run it N/A until you get the turbo stuff ready to go on.

That is my suggestion.

Thats the idea I like best... ^^^

Beyond that IMHO for equal dollars applied ($5000) you will have a more forgiving and streetable engine/car if you go turbo. I personaly have a 3.0L stroker that I built (but Dave Robello had his fingers into at one time) and if you want a car that slaps you in the back the second you touch the throttle and roars at the same time the stroker is the way to go.

Dragonfly

• 1 month later...

Well, I have a 3.0 Rebello, and I love it. I have the triple 44PHHs on there, and when you pin the throttle at ~4000 rpm, the whole world knows it :)

That being said, I'm going to agree with whoever suggested a L30et setup, as it seems to be the best of both worlds (unless you are attached to carbs, like I am).

My first engine was a stroker with Mikunis. It was a great set-up, real kick ass BUT....it was moody rough and loud....so I went RB20DET. Much better and easy to live with. I say turbo a stroker if that old schools triple carb appearance isnt important to you.

Best of both worlds.

Think of it this way:

A high horsepower, normally aspirated engine is like an Italian mistress: Extremely exciting, high strung, tempermental, erotic, and something you have we dreams about. But she's not something you can live with for any length of time.

A high horsepower turbo engine is like a German mistress: Reliable, predictable, very skilled, comfortable, strong as an ox, and something you can live with forever. But she isn't the something that gives you wet dreams.

Very nicely put John!

Think of it this way:

A high horsepower, normally aspirated engine is like an Italian mistress: Extremely exciting, high strung, tempermental, erotic, and something you have we dreams about. But she's not something you can live with for any length of time.

A high horsepower turbo engine is like a German mistress: Reliable, predictable, very skilled, comfortable, strong as an ox, and something you can live with forever. But she isn't the something that gives you wet dreams.

• 3 years later...

Think of it this way:

This is an ancient post and I apologize for bumping. I just had to say this post has convinced me to get a stroker. I want my Z to be a wild woman.

• 1 month later...

This is an ancient post and I apologize for bumping. I just had to say this post has convinced me to get a stroker. I want my Z to be a wild woman.

This is a bit off topic... but where in Alaska are you? I'm down in Southeast. I didn't think there was anyone else living in AK here on the forums.

Edited by kce

• 3 months later...

Mr Coffee, I am framing your quote and putting it on my shop wall, with your permission of course, with due credit.

When another person asks "why don't you just turbo it?" I can just point now, instead of getting into a long discussion....

Edited by z240