7 replies to this topic

#1 deja

deja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1915 posts
  • LocationSugar Hill, GA

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:59 AM

Because I was running my car this year I didn't get as much video as in past years. I did catch JNJ's first and last runs. On the last one I think you can see where their engine had problems, puffs of smoke are never a good thing!

http://www.dejavideo...0z8/dni-jnj.wmv

I have limited bandwidth on my server so please DO NOT try to stream these videos! Right Click on the file and choose 'Save Target As' to download the video.
'77 280Z - Newly built LT1 4 bolt main, LT4 hot cam kit. 4L60E/Transgo shift kit. 300ZX LSD, Wolf Creek CV axles. MM 5 lug front hubs with Silvermine Stage 4 front brakes - MM 5 lug billet rear stub axles and disc brakes. Molded side skirts and ZG flares. 2905 lbs with a full tank.

#2 jnjdragracing

jnjdragracing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationWest Columbia S.C. 29170

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:40 AM

Thanks Dale,

I liked the 1st pass better........ It seems we warped / burned some valves on the last run. Running way to lean....... Time to pull the engine out and re-freshen up. Lesson well learned, pay attention to what your AFR meter is telling you, then check plugs to back it up.

Hope to see you next year and thanks for the video footage.

John
No Need To Go Through Life Scared......

#3 deja

deja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1915 posts
  • LocationSugar Hill, GA

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:25 AM

Hope it is valves and nothing more serious. I love watching your car run. Of course my hearing will be totally shot for a month!

Thanks Dale,

I liked the 1st pass better........ It seems we warped / burned some valves on the last run. Running way to lean....... Time to pull the engine out and re-freshen up. Lesson well learned, pay attention to what your AFR meter is telling you, then check plugs to back it up.

Hope to see you next year and thanks for the video footage.

John

'77 280Z - Newly built LT1 4 bolt main, LT4 hot cam kit. 4L60E/Transgo shift kit. 300ZX LSD, Wolf Creek CV axles. MM 5 lug front hubs with Silvermine Stage 4 front brakes - MM 5 lug billet rear stub axles and disc brakes. Molded side skirts and ZG flares. 2905 lbs with a full tank.

#4 big-phil

big-phil

Joost Bunkie

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1585 posts
  • LocationDallas Texas

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:28 PM

hell yes!! Man that looks good. Sorry to hear you gotta pull the motor. I'd bet you could do that with your eyes closed though?

1978 280Z with an rb30/25det, garrett gt35r, haltech platinum pro, wire specialties harness, rc 750cc injectors, z31 fs5r30a 5 speed, rb25 bell housing, ACT clutch lsd rear, 20lbs of boost....... and lots of YouTube videos to prove it lol http://www.youtube.c...0z?feature=mhee

#5 jnjdragracing

jnjdragracing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:28 PM

You can say that again, I have had plenty of practice. Oh by the way good luck on your Dyno Pulls.

John

hell yes!! Man that looks good. Sorry to hear you gotta pull the motor. I'd bet you could do that with your eyes closed though?

#6 Turbo Meister

Turbo Meister

Compensator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMurrieta, Ca

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:09 PM

I liked the 1st pass better.

Great run and video.
What did the A/F meter read when the engine let go on the second pass???
Sorry to see that.. been there, done that.:ugg:
Hanns

#7 jnjdragracing

jnjdragracing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:37 AM

It was actually the third pass our last one. The FAST afr read around between 16 - 18 while playing it back. Jerry felt it nose over but just was not quick enough to let go in time.

John

Great run and video.
What did the A/F meter read when the engine let go on the second pass???
Sorry to see that.. been there, done that.:ugg:
Hanns

#8 dr_hunt

dr_hunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2565 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:09 AM

From the vid, sounds like it did a lean sneeze, but it was already tuliping the valves which probably caused the "sneeze". I've tuliped valves before as well but on NA alky motors. IMO the early ferrea valves were complete junk.

Either that or a piston was coming out of the cylinder through the valve and well, it ain't pretty.

Hope it isn't that bad.
SEZ 1.36 60', 9.84 @ 132.62 through mufflers.
Alb. National Dragway 9.90 @ 136.45 all motor.

I think I have just the right amount of excessive HP!! But I guess there is always room for more!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users