HybridZ

It's official Chevy 4.2ltr into a 70 Z Car! Need help Guys!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Have decided that this will be the motor im going to throw in my z next or my next z. BUT I dont have the money right now. or a place to woke on it. But once i get settled in here in TN I will be tearing into it. Im thinking that a turbo would be the way to go also. Any one know what the colorado guys are getting hp wise to the wheels with turbos? Stock internals or not.

Hey Guys:

Here's something interesting! I've stumbeled across a Custom Clutch Builder that has "Flex Plate" Mounted 7.25" clutches that bolt to the stock Flex Plate.

I like that. what a great idea. The flexplate is so light compared to flywheels! But are you sure it's strong enough?

Hey Jeffer:

This swap will not be for the SQUIMISH! This is a Major Undertaking, where major surgery to the Chassis is a Must! If anyone plans to do this the I5 is a more logical choise!

Flex Plate clutch? This remains to be seen, I have tried to throw out ideas and path to take I as I come across them for others to see and look at from a different perspective!

The Flex Clutch is a unknown, but the guy at the clutch shop who builds these "Told me" one major manufacturer, now only uses flex plates for both their Automatic's and manual transmission's as a cost cutting measure! The dual disk Clutch has a 5 bolt mounting pattern and the F;lex Plate has only 3, so I am not sure if they machine a hub or adapter that is thicker to spread the weight or not! Honestly I am not sure of all the details! It very well may use an adapter with the Crank Bolt pattern and the flex plate bolt pattern to center the force on the Crank instead of the Flex plate.

I'm still waiting on RIGSBY Auto Parts in Orlando to get their SHEOTT together! Not a happy Camper here to say the least!

Kevin

I Have decided that this will be the motor im going to throw in my z next or my next z. BUT I dont have the money right now. or a place to woke on it. But once i get settled in here in TN I will be tearing into it. Im thinking that a turbo would be the way to go also. Any one know what the colorado guys are getting hp wise to the wheels with turbos? Stock internals or not.

Turbonetics is advertising 350 HP at 8 psi. Rumor is that it's more like 380. Dunno if that's at the wheels or crank.

BTW, the turbo they're using, the 60-1 happens to be a perfect fit for the 4.2.

Im actually planning on doing the I5. i like fabrication but i dont think im ready to do that much. so ill take a hit of half a liter and still be .9l bigger than what i have right now and should be ok.

If they are only running 8psi and getting 350ish hp then id say it has alot more potential.

• 2 weeks later...
I like that. what a great idea. The flexplate is so light compared to flywheels! But are you sure it's strong enough?

These clutches are very strong. They are used in 800+ hp dirt late model cars. My question is the streetabilty of it. Theres no slipping the clutch for an easy take off. They are on or off and they squeel but I am sure they used a different clutch material to address that.

These clutches are very strong. They are used in 800+ hp dirt late model cars. My question is the streetabilty of it. Theres no slipping the clutch for an easy take off. They are on or off and they squeel but I am sure they used a different clutch material to address that.

Thats funny..... When I saw this thread had come up in my subscribed threads list, my initial reaction was "Well, hey, that one kinda stalled...." :lmao:

• 1 month later...

Hahaha Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw! She was born in 1969, her name is Gertrude, currently she is getting Lowered, Coil overs, Disk Brakes all the way around, installing Twin SU Replacement EFi on the bone stock 1600 to start, then I have a NEW 2.3ltr stroker motor to go in behind it, with Dual 45mm Weber EFi replacements, both motors will be Crank fired, with no Dizzy, and have knock sensor retard This is the first install of the NEW Extrudabody Electronics. So all is well here, just the Z is on Hold!

The Crank Trigger Wheel, and new Aluminum Pulley turned out Nice!

On the Clutch Disk set-up? I talked to the MFG of the Clutches and Disk mentioned above at the PRI Show at length, and the Torque Specs on the Dealers Website is way over stated, they are not reccommending these Clutch/Disk Combo be used in Turbo motors over 500lbs of Torque at all!

So guys do your Homework, and talk to the MFG first!

Kevin

Unfortunately No! Project is on Hold, I have a new Baby! 5 lbs- 10 Ozs!!!!!!! Will update a little later!

Careless your Close! It's a RB25! :)

Kevin

congratulations! now all u need are some baby bottle extrusions with different nipple-feed taper sizes and a choice of different bottle neck threads and she'll be happy :D

RB25 one is cool, I think there's someone in the RB forums who has a 25DE that might be interested. R31 guys would be too!

Hahahahahah! Good One! :)

That's Cool on the other Forums, never know who is trolling the forums or what you might see! :)

Here's some of our 3D Work, and something a little different!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160309559792&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=

Baby Extrusions!!!!!!!!!! :)

Kevin

There's surely no market in what I am doing for the DIME! :)

Kevin

Can't blame ya there; your NOT the only 510 guy out there ;)

I am trying hard to convince my uncle to pony up fr the cost of an SU replacement and a megasquirt for his street roadster, but I don't know if I can convince him to take the plunge... Most likely if we do, it will be using a pair of JY TBIs, going the homebrew method, but I've shown him your stuff and he likes it (who doesn't?)