HybridZ

Cobra 302 TT 240SX build

Guest Sharkey

Guest Sharkey

anyone done this yet that you guys know of?.. i know its not a Z =(,

but gotta work with what you have =)

got a shell sitting and been tossing around the idea for a few days...

I can snag a 93 Cobra 302 engine from a friend's salvage yard he just got a few weeks ago (bone stock surprisingly) [updated- purchased motor for 400 bucks, at a steal of a price,imo get it on friday] and then pick up a kit to fit 2 Big 16G turbos i have laying around collecting dust from the turbo stang forums for relatively cheap. Boost at about 8-14 PSI and call it a day w/ a 450-550ish HP S13.. (suspension and rubber etc of course)

just curious if there is going to be enough room in there for everything (gonna be leaving out the AC) prolly use an altima fan, delete the flippy lights for maybe a S15 front to save a bit on space

what do you guys think?

** pre build list just chicken scratched out/ lemme know if i may have left something out in my just basic outline**

1993 Cobra 302 engine

headgasket upgrade

Big 16G x2 (may stick with 14bs for placement issues)

T5 transmission

megasquirt ECU

ARP Headstuds

Piston Rings

Bearings/seals

Intercooler

Tial 44mm BOV

piping/hoses

headers....(custom headers?)

exhuast (modified X-pipe)

bigger injectors

255lph walboro fuel pump (maybe even a T-Rex)

AFR alluminum heads

cam

Port intake manifold...? mebbe

Kouki tail lights that cost more than the engine

anyone have any insight input or suggestions possibly before i pull out the hammer and toolkit for the next little while

Be careful, I don't believe those 93' cobra engines had forged pistons, and my brother's 93 cobra would ping on bad gas.

Through that much hot air into that engine might cause problems. You might want to get some low compression forged pistons put in.

Those heads are great though, and I'd bet outflow any of the budget name brand heads out there. Get a more agressive cam (with little to no overlap since it's force induction) and it should put out some insane power.

Try to keep it around or under 500hp though, and if you're gonna push it farther than that I'd recommend keeping the revs low to prevent splitting the block.

um dude, please don't put an s15 front on it. that shite is rice.

and if you're going to shoot for 450-500hp, why even twin turbo it? you could bore and stroke it and build a N/A motor or even a single turbo for that power.

and as a 240sx owner, more specifically a s13 owner, i FAIL to see how a different front end will gain you more room under the hood.

Guest Sharkey
um dude, please don't put an s15 front on it. that shite is rice.

and if you're going to shoot for 450-500hp, why even twin turbo it? you could bore and stroke it and build a N/A motor or even a single turbo for that power.

and as a 240sx owner, more specifically a s13 owner, i FAIL to see how a different front end will gain you more room under the hood.

a guy i was talking to mentioned that it might, so figured it was worth looking into as far as the S15 conversion went. It doesn't look bad, lot better than the silvia and don't have to worry about flippy light motors going out at inopportune times... all in all easier to work with.

Whoops! Stock heads ARE aluminum on the 93 Cobra. I say go for it. I would go for turbo with quick response and good power all around. More area under the curve than an NA 302 will ever have.

EDIT: Arg. I think they are iron actually. I am not sure. I would want aluminum heads with a larger chamber any way.

You won't need very big turbos, unless you're gonna try to run it without an intercooler, which i'm not sure I'd recommend.

You'll have 2.5 liters of displacement per turbo (closer to 2.4 actually, as the 5.0 is closer to 4.9) and you'll be wanting them to be spooling good and hard by 1750rpm or there abouts.

The AFR heads are gonna be completely overkill. Trust me, I've seen BONE STOCK longblock cobras putting well over 400 to the wheels with just a supercharger and fuel upgrades. As long as you keep heat under control you shouldn't run into too many bottle necks.

you might want a different intake all together, as they're cheap, possibly cheaper than porting the stock one.

Cam selection is important, I'd research what guys are running on supercharged 5.0 motors.

The stock ford EFI is pretty darn good too, and you might want to research modding it via programmer. It's all MAF based and the cobra maf is good to 500hp of airflow iirc. You can also upgrade it and recalibrate it to a higher flowing MAF.

You'll definately want a larger throttle body, and I can see the exhause system being the largest part of this build. It'll need to be completely custom. You doing the headers yourself?

a guy i was talking to mentioned that it might, so figured it was worth looking into as far as the S15 conversion went. It doesn't look bad, lot better than the silvia and don't have to worry about flippy light motors going out at inopportune times... all in all easier to work with.

you're kidding me right?

filp motors hardly ever go out, ive had the same set for the 5 years ive owned mine, and they are the original set. for the money, it isnt worth it to do the conversion.

I was the one who corrected chris on the heads. I was wrong. The 93' heads ARE iron, the current ford racing GT-40 heads are aluminium and have larger valves.

Upgrade the heads if it's in the budget. Those iron heads will retain too much heat imo. Could also lower compression while you're at it via the head, then might be able to survive without forged pistons.

EDIT: Woops, forgot the link I was going to share

Info on the 93' cobra and engine

http://www.1993cobra.com/data.htm

http://mustangforums.com/m_2540361/tm.htm

Guest Sharkey

good info guys! really appreciate it, yeah going to be having to custom almost the entire exhuast system as mentioned. me and the guys are sitting down and trying to get realistic time before the projects done and appx cost.

you must have gotten lucky on those motors not going on on the headlights, it seems everytime i turn around theres someone with an old car with flip lights needing it fixed. the S15 front end looks good too anyway, each to their own i suppose though *shrug*

I agree. I had 380 HP from my NA 289, and I'm expecting very close to 500 HP with the 383 (351w stroker). No turbos to mess with, and more than likely, better reliability. By the time you add the turbos, plumbing, etc, it will weight no less than the bigger Windsor.

• 3 weeks later...

Why not go with a 5.8L 351W. It is almost the same size as the 302, and you can make tons of power on a stock block. my last 408 stroker (1969 block) made 575/582 on motor and 788/772 on a 200 shot fogger. 500 is the MAX you want to run on a stock 302 block, I have split stock 302 all the way in half before! For the money I would go 351w. Just my .02c

• 7 months later...

im running a 306 turbo in my drag car, a little tip to save some time and money. get a set of stock fox body 5.0 headers. put the left on the right and the right on the left. all the bolt holes line up and you end up with an outlet toward the front of the car. viola there is your manifold, just work your piping from there. It works great my time slip will vouch for that :lol:.

• Administrators
im running a 306 turbo in my drag car, a little tip to save some time and money. get a set of stock fox body 5.0 headers. put the left on the right and the right on the left. all the bolt holes line up and you end up with an outlet toward the front of the car. viola there is your manifold, just work your piping from there. It works great my time slip will vouch for that :lol:.
86 Foxbody.

You can't tease us like that and not post up the time slips. :wink:

I like your simple get-it-done approach. Looks like a fun machine to drive...

You can't tease us like that and not post up the time slips. :wink:

I like your simple get-it-done approach. Looks like a fun machine to drive...

I just love the thing. Its a blast to drive, once in a while she gets out on the streets. Just have to turn the boost waaaaaaaay down. Otherwise she gets a little out of hand. Anyways heres the timeslip. That one is my best.

timeslip4-20-08_thumb.jpg