HybridZ

Exhaust fabrication

The one part of the car I've yet to fabricate myself was the exhaust. Well, that little detail has been taken care of. Because of the way I hid the rear portion of the exhaust above a lower exterior panel, and exited the exhaust in the OEM valance panel, I was force to disassemble the lower panel, exhaust rings and tips, and then pull the entire exhaust if I wanted to remove the driveshaft, work on the tranny, etc.

This weekend I finished welding up my own exhaust with mandel bent pipes (no SS though), and inserted a joint just past the differential crossmember so that I could simply remove a short section of exhaust (15 minutes max) in order to remove everything forward of the differential.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Looks good. Is that aluminized exhaust tube? On my exhaust, I noticed the weld joints rusted after almost a year. I had used a high temp paint from the auto parts store but it must have burned off. Are you planning to coat your welds? If so, with what? I can tell you 500 degree duplicolor doesn't cut it :)

I always wonder why people still use the old style flat flanges when building their exhausts. There are so many quicker, neater, cleaner, less leaky solutions out there.

What setup do you prefer. I'm trying to decide between slip fit with springs, ball and socket with springs, or V-band.

V-Band is the best IMHO. For most racers I use slip fit with springs because the exhaust is coming off the car a lot. Its pretty cool when you have 30 minutes between race sessions to crawl under the car with a pair of pliers and have the exhaust off in under a minute - pop the springs with the pliers and kick the exhaust off with your feet - all the while screaming DAMN THAT'S HOT!

V-Band is the best IMHO. For most racers I use slip fit with springs because the exhaust is coming off the car a lot. Its pretty cool when you have 30 minutes between race sessions to crawl under the car with a pair of pliers and have the exhaust off in under a minute - pop the springs with the pliers and kick the exhaust off with your feet - all the while screaming DAMN THAT'S HOT!
lol thats great i could see peoples faces :eek:

hello Terry............. a chance to see your "poor man's rear toe gizmo" again. I hope to duplicate that. I do not know about those springs and kick off pipes for race cars ($$$$$$$$$ maybe) but yours truly is salvaging those ZXT catalytic converter connections on the the ZXT's that I have been vandalizing. I have a thread on an economical SBC conversion for a ZX that few are reading for it seems the Hybrid Z population is going RBZEEEET ????? for conversions. My ZX /SBC will utilize a patched up single ZXT exhaust spliced with ZXT catalytic converter three bolt connections. (catalytic converters sold for scrap $$$$).aka Tomahawk Z , Larry Johnson from Fall Creek, Oregon

Guest 280ZForce

Looks good Terry, but I do agree about the flanges. I use v-bands on my exhaust and wastegate piping. It makes everything super easy to put together and take apart. No gaskets, no hassles, pure simplicity.

Can't wait to share my new exhaust with everyone too, just waiting on the arrival of 1 more muffler, everything else is completed though.

Thanks again for helping me accomplish the hybridized x-member idea, worked out perfectly.

Cmon guys his flanges are fine. If Terry makes his car any more awesome there is a good chance of total protonic reversal in which every atom which makes up his car will explode simultaneously at the speed of light causing a rift in the space time continuum,do you really want that?

Good job with the exhaust :-)

If Terry makes his car any more awesome there is a good chance of total protonic reversal in which every atom which makes up his car will explode simultaneously at the speed of light causing a rift in the space time continuum,do you really want that?

Absolutely! That was the point of my critique. Terry chickened out at the last second because of watching too many Star Trek reruns. :D

I'm up for any change. I'll google the V-band thing and see what it's about. I think I know what it is, but my impession was that there was still some required "slip-fit" (at the V-band joint) in order for it to work. The front is a slip-fit, but I wanted a very rigid assembly midway that 'acted' solid as support for the exhaust's continuation up into the body as it leaves the differential support. I knew this would do that, but perhaps I could change this for a quicker removal (which was the purpose).