HybridZ

280ZX Short throw shifter

nbesheer

ZX TRANS NON-TURBO

Drill hole to mount tab extensions:

471210027_aViYi-XL.jpg

Mount tab extensions:

471210083_aLnTv-XL.jpg

Use shifter with longer tail. (custom made, or from some earlier Nissan truck. Not sure which one)

471209945_Pn4N7-XL.jpg

Result is VERY short angle and throws front-to-back. Left to right angle does not change but a shorter overall knob height will reduce the distance left to right. Expect increased "nothcy" feel.

• 7 months later...

My brother bought a short throw shifter for his 97 cobra it's called a steeda tri-ax shifter which pretty much helps you shift faster and they happen to make it for the t-5/T45 transmission

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab149/muerte_miquiztli/17ecbe4c.jpg

Steeda re-invented the Short Throw Shifter! This is the smoothest, most comfortable, quickest shifting, shortest throw shifter on the market.

"Offset-Preload" coil springs find third gear for you - so you won't miss!

Most comfortable hand position of any short throw shifter

Two position adjustable height

Shortest throw of any shifter

Smooth, confident, precise shifts

Exclusive BootGuard (prevents damage to factory rubber inner boot)

Adjustable positive stops prevent over extending the shift lever,♥♥♥♥ preventing costly transmission damage

Compact tower design is easier to install

CNC machined from billet 6061 T-6 aluminum

Heavy duty construction. No welds, stampings, or castings to break

Nickel plated pivot shaft won't rust or stain

Grade 8 and stainless steel hardware

Made in the USA

Accepts factory & Steeda knobs

Includes Steeda's exclusive Tri-Ax shift handle

No complicated, unnecessary adjustments unlike competitive designs

here's the link to that website

http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_triax_shifter_tremec_t5t45.php

I don't think the mustang and Z have the same input shaft... though the casing bellhousing back is a standard T5 on the 280ZX turbo.

So, if you HAD a T5 from the nissan you could rebuild it with any T5's case and gears as long as you keep the input shaft.

• 2 weeks later...

That only works if you have the T5 trans, which only came in the 280ZX Turbo's ;)

I happen to have a T-5 from my 83 280zx turbo donor that i'm working in getting the motor, tranny & rear end out soon maybe this week, I'm gonna get that steeda tri-ax short shifter and try it out see how it works I'm know if it fits it will be the best short shifter out there for the 280zx with the T-5 tranny.

Edited by 280zx@541

• 2 months later...

I had my L28ET with T-5 finally swapped in my 81 non turbo and put In the steeda tri ax short throw shifter in the only problem I came across was that the shifter is closer forward on the console but worked out well all I have to do is figure out if the original boot will fit which I'm having difficulty with, will have pictures up soon to show you guys just wanna finish making my car run right running a little too rich but idles real well.

Ok now I finally got that Steeda Tri-Ax short shifter ment for the mustang T-5 in as a result it works & fits like it was made for the

280zx T-5, haven't missed a shift at all, although the only thing was that I can't fit is my shift boot & center console since the shifter fits forward a little but that's the least if my worries, check it out and tell me what you guys think.

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab149/muerte_miquiztli/6855e50a.jpg

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab149/muerte_miquiztli/6159660d.jpg

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab149/muerte_miquiztli/34a094a2.jpg

buy some cheap fabric and make you a shifter boot, nice and cheap

Hmm good thinking, I really wanted to use the same boot I got an extra one that I wanna mess around with but if not I'll get some good fabric and make one, I want to lower the shifter a little still got another space to lower it maybe that I cab use my original but sure feels nice to shift in 1st-2nd & 3rd.

Edited by 280zx@541

Oh yeah I like it way better than stock, not that I had a problem with the stock shifter but a great improvement I haven't had the opportunity to really see what it can do at 100% because my car is running like crap right now but I will say it feels nice that 1st 2nd & 3rd go in super smooth without much effort with a nice solid feel to it, I can also lower the shifter another inch it has 3 bolt holes I have it bolt up to the first 2, there's also other kind of shifter levers don't have to be the bent one I got but that's how you get best shifting experience plus it's a true brand name, yeah there made for mustangs but that's why I recommend it to anyone with a T-5 in there Z.

Just check out there website for the Tri- Ax short shifter, if you do order one make sure you put it's going in a 83 mustang gt that way they know the right one to get you I'm sure there the same for all T-5's but never hurts to tell em anyway. Trust me you will get your moneys worth because they still make em for all mustangs and not like those underground short shifters you see on eBay for a low price that ain't me I have a ford loving family & friends so I trust a lot on these products.

Edited by 280zx@541

• 5 years later...