HybridZ

Curves/bends in sheet?

Shift

yo.if you talking about a box i assume cube with out a top and radiused edges.there are many ways to do this but without diagrams its hard to explain.i can make a card bord template an take a pic if you want.as for banging on a pipe that takes a lot of experiance so i suggest you find a pipe that is the radius you want then tack weld the plate to it.once tacked fix the pipe in a vice to sucure it.next force the plate over the pipe and gently tap with a mallet or slapper from the tacked edge toward the flat section of the plate.i assume you are working with 5 loose pieces.i can make up a small eg. if you want.cheers

Trumpet shapes in sheet metal are usually formed via spinning. A proper sized circle is cut out ot he sheet metal and mounted in a special kind of lathe. The sheet is spin up and then pushed into a form that has the shape you're trying to make.

John has the right and perfect way to do it.

1- You need a hammer and a Dolly, various hammer/dolly for various shapes.

2- You can d draw your exact piece in paper/cardboard, cut the paper when you have to stretch the metal and fold it where you have to shrink ( accordion style) the metal.

3- Now you know where to hammer your metal, relax drink a beer and think about your work.

4- Warm your metal just a little, it will become less stiff. Hammer your metal until desired shape. Have fun.

5- Sit down and watch what you have accomplished.

Depending of the type and thickness of metal, it will be easier or harder to shape. If you are looking for a perfect work of art, let someone else do it, If you will be satisfied with little less than perfect, go, try it out and have fun.

Metal work it so much fun!!

Dayz

Trumpet shapes in sheet metal are usually formed via spinning. A proper sized circle is cut out ot he sheet metal and mounted in a special kind of lathe. The sheet is spin up and then pushed into a form that has the shape you're trying to make.

don't gave a english wheel. :P

An english wheel isnt used to make this type of part. Their use is primarily for streching or arcing flat sheet stock. JohnC is correct this would be done as a metal spinning effort. For more info on metal shaping go to :

www.metalmeet.com

www.allshops.org

These sites are where all the metal guys hang out.

Larry

http://www.wgmauto.com