HybridZ

Need some advice.

naviathan

I found a Fairlady 280Z I want to buy. The car isn't perfect, but it's better than the one I've got. The guy wants $3750 for the car, but will take $3200 if I give him my old fairlady that's falling apart. He just wants it to part it out. I don't have a problem with this, but I'm wondering if $3200 is a decent price for an 82 Fairlady 2+2 with just over 33,000 km on it. The car runs like a sewing machine, the interior is in great shape, engine bay could use some clean up, there's some rust bubbling under the paint around the fuel cap, on one corner of the passengers front fender and the usual spot on the spare tire well. I haven't seen the car in person (for obvious reasons, Iraq and all) but my wife has and the guy has been more than helpful in sending pictures of the car so I could see the under carriage, body and interior. I've seen this car around town before and never could find who owned to ask about it until now. I'm probably going to buy the car regardless simply because it's a running fairlady in just as good of condition as my 81ZX I paid $2k for. I just want to know if I'm getting reamed, just out of curiosity.

Well, that's why I want to see it in person first, but I think even if it isn't exactly what it seems so far I might still go for it. It is a RHD and it runs and drives, so in any case it's rare to see here in the US. That alone makes it worth a little bit more to me.

Always check floor pan on these cars. reach under the car and start knocking on the front and edges of the floor Good was to see if it has some major rust issues. Also look at how the radiator support. see if there is some uneven gap between that and the rest of the frame. good way to tell if it was in an accident .

IMHO I would pay the extra $550 for it. If it's feasible you could have a great parts car or take both and make one out of it.

Depending on what is on your current Fairlady you could get more parting it out yourself then giving it to this guy for a $550 discount.

IMHO I would pay the extra $550 for it. If it's feasible you could have a great parts car or take both and make one out of it.

Depending on what is on your current Fairlady you could get more parting it out yourself then giving it to this guy for a $550 discount.

Yeah I know, but I only paid $450 for my Fairlady and I thought about just doing the part out myself and making more off it. To be honest though, I already have a project car and a parts car in my yard along with my 81ZX DD and my buddies two ZXs, then the kid on the way here really soon, I'm not going to have time to part out my Fairlady. I think it would be best to just let this guy have it and part it out himself and save some of my time for making the new one show ready.