HybridZ

Advice for a rocker replacement?

Looks like I won't be welding in my apartment parking lot. Instead, I'm going to drive three hours to get to my car, then spend a couple hours working on it, then drive three hours home. It's going to suck. But, it's the only way I know of to do the work myself.

Okay, on to my questions.

I'm going to be replacing the rocker and dogleg on both drivers and passenger's sides of the car. I know when replacing these pieces on a VW Beetle, you need to make a jig to hold the car straight before you cut the old rocker out. Without it, the chassis twists a little, and you're stuck with something that "just looks off". Is this true of the 240Z as well?

Should I strip the Z down to the bare chassis, build a rotisserie, and weld on it? Or would the time spent doing it be worth more than the time spent under the car cursing?

I can't find any information on anyone who's ever replaced a rocker before. I was hoping for a couple pictures of the process. Perhaps my Search-Fu is weak?

if its JUST the dog leg portion. then I don't think you need a jig. Maybe a piece of pipe that runs across the door opening just enough length to where it doesn't move. The dog leg is just sheet metal. If its the actual rocker, then I would tack a X brace in the door way.