HybridZ

The Saga of my First Stroker -- and some restoration...

josh817

Yah I thought the stuff was way too thick. :[ I guess its ok though, I've been getting some hours in with Dad prepping customer cars for the races this weekend. I'll just say buy me 5 quarts of oil rather than paying me. Its still a waste of 5 quarts of the race oil though. :[

EDIT:

Dad got me some Exxon 10W-30 and boy what a difference. First off, I knew it was the oil right away when I set out today. Last night it was cool, and the water temp. never went above midway on the gauge. Somehow this fan controller actually lowered my temp. even though the fan ran all the time before. Back to the topic, I had a bad ground for the fan motor and the test light kept showing it was ok, then not ok, then ok. I wound up getting really hot from the fan not running and me seeing if the motor would rev up. The motor did indeed rev up very nicely to the highest I have tried to push it which is 6500RPM. I noticed this for the 2nd time (last time was forever ago since I don't go that high) when you hit 6k you hear a pop and it continues on. I stopped when I heard the pop. I'm thinking too much advance, maybe valve float (no worries about a piston kiss since they're dished) this shouldn't happen anyways since its a performance cam and should have the performance springs too. Dad is going to take the oil I drained and put it in his crap truck. Not too worried about dirty oil because well... its a crap truck... Lets hope when winter hits he doesn't have any problems because that stuff is like a can of paste. This normal oil is quite nice though. Maybe I'm just crazy but the motor feels much more responsive and when you get it wound up it seems to chug harder than before. In fact, I have something special for you guys. I actually took an in car video today. XD Its a pain trying to hold the camera and I can't really lay it down because these new cameras just HAVE to be the tiniest things in the world... I mean, who buys a big camera... >_<

As far as gearing goes I'm just running the T5 tranny with 3.54 stock R180 which makes nice typical Datsun clunks when you pull away. I'd really like a 4.11 or a 4.38, switch it out when you go on long trips so you can make use of the overdrive. I believe it was something like 20-100mph. You know you've hit 100mph when the steering wheel gets a little tipsy on the bumpy back roads. My teenage balls are only big enough to do 135mph in 4th. I don't think I want to see what the top end of 5th brings me to. Probably my death. Youtube has that small video size so you can't really see the needle on the speedo. Maybe try doing full screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asM-MVAg9LA

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

POWER SHOT! Makes you look way cool if you take a picture from the ground!

veygxg.jpg

On the other hand! I need to get myself some air cleaners, 45mm carbs because I saw a set of Mikuni 44mm carbs for sale for $600! and they were nice too! Prices are coming down! Yah! Then some 6-2-1 headers so if anyone wants to buy my 6-1 ceramic coated headers give me a yell. Then I talked with Paul and he gave me some REALLY good hints on porting which I plan to go through with. Perhaps over next summer I'll pull my head, port and polish some more. I need to call Rebello and discuss his custom cams since mine is .495 290º (Stage IV) and the next one avaliable is like .590 300º which I don't want. I'm not going to go so far as to change to flat top pistons. Perhaps I'm just dreaming on the port and polish. I'll be off the road for a while if I do that one so I'll probably wait until this motor dies. In that case... end of college is a good assumption.

speaking from mad n00blet experience, i just ported my heads on my z31. took out some meat near the top side of the bowl and smoothed out the bumps on the port floor leading into the bowl, which was transitioned into the seat till it was silky smoove.

then i port matched the intake side and left the exhaust side with a bit of a lip over the gasket area.

each head took me 8 - 10 hours. With beer and smoke breaks in between.

Drink one. smoke one. port one. repeat. (no, i'm not advocating smoking or drinking, but it's what i've been doin lately!)

In total, if you take 2 or 3 hours a day, over a period of a week and a half you can have a nicely cleaned up and prepped head that is not too over the top, and should be just a rough cleanup of what nissan skimped on, and could give you anywhere from 5 - 10% in air volume.

I'm not sure how L series castings are so I can't say or speculate, but the VG ones are horrible. You can even see on the outside how much raw flashing bridges the outer head indentations... enough to severely cut your hand trying to do stuff around the head or picking it up from the wrong area.

The worst thing is taking the grinder to the base of the valve seat or around the guide for the first time. Kinda twirly in the guts, but it feels good when you show people and they say they likes!

:D

Yah, when I look at the list of things to fix I might as well build a new motor because I wouldn't want to skimp on ANYTHING next time. I would want flat tops first off, better ported head, hotter cam, bigger carbs, 6-2-1 headers. Thats basically a whole motor.

I am kind of considering a 3.1L supercharged motor. I don't think the supercharger needs that many sensors, nothing like the turbos. Use some 280 rods, same type of piston I have, same crank, same head, yields 7.48:1. Now I don't know squat about forced induction but I'm sure that 7.48:1 would allow me to do like 10-15lbs, but can a M80 or whatever it is super charger do that? I don't know what pulleys are available. Right now its just all a dream until the next motor...

After building this motor I have such a strong urge to go out and build more! I want to build motors for people but you need a name out for yourself to do that and have their trust so being new to this, along with being a teenager, I don't think I qualify at all. XD I think it would be so fun to build and make a little money off of it too! Even a little money plus parts or whatever is pretty sweet in my mind. Then if you build a beast you can be like yah... I built that... Then you want to drive it but its not yours so you get all sad and angry. :/

... end of college, just wait it out... Hopefully I'll hop right out, have a decent job, probably no spare money but I'll push my way through it and rebuild a motor somehow. That is... unless it blows up like... tomorrow... >_> Gottah get my mind out of the gutter!