Pics: 2008 Datsun 240z concept car

mull

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't believe I didn't see this when first posted....

This design takes care of the biggest problem I have with the original; from the rear, the curve of the roofline is not reflected in the curve of the rear panel/tail lights. Here it is - clearly a conscious decision on the designer's part. It strengthens the reference to the Cobra coupe, which was obviously a theme with the original, and provides a consistency the original design didn't have.

Looking at the front of this wonderful design, though, I wonder if it would have the same airflow "compression" problems at the front end? The overhanging hoodline (as seen from the side) is a critical part of the "Z" motif, but I guess it's a problem aerodynamically.

If I had to be critical, I'd have to point to the "head bubble" roofline. I can see the design logic, but it has the side effect of making the top of the windshield "bumpy" - it's in counterpoint (conflict?) to the hoodline/fenderline. Also, there's no doubt Americans will immediately think "Viper" on first sight.

Well done. Quite a few interesting ideas here for customizing ideas.

With the upturned front nose tweaked down a little, an an integration of a front bumper, the "gaping maw" VISUAL effect should be easily retained, yet safety and aerodynamic factors taken into consideration and compensated for.

Personally, I think that the way the rear view looks (ie, what strotter was applauding directly above) makes it look like a late model Oldsmobile sedan.. :- I would prefer taillights that reflect the original 240Z lights as well as say, the first gen Z31 tails did. Not saying stick Z31 tails on there, but find some way to make them resemble the old ones.

Two other points where I depart from the prevailing contemporary tastes are the louvers and the fender flares... To me, fender flares should be seamless with the fender, this whole bolt-on thing that everyone is doing nowadays is just going to look dated in 20 years... like many of you seem to feel about the louvers. I think the louvers make the car, and I love em on an S30.

Overall it IS a very stunning design, too bad you can't pop a mold off of a 3D rendering :(

• Administrators
Overall it IS a very stunning design, too bad you can't pop a mold off of a 3D rendering :(

Obviously not quite that simply, but in effect, you can.

Dennis Palatov's creation...

dp1143.jpg

BodyPlug.jpg

dp1185.jpg

plug.jpg

dp1039.jpg

Present me with $30.000 and I'll ship a mold. This was the amount I was

quoted when asking for a price estimate from a company that do the kind

of work in the pics above, 5-axis milling, or whatever it's called : )

those pictures are so awesome... :shock:I am off to google "dennis palatov" to find more info! What exactly is the name of that uber-milling process, and what material is being used there??

In my defense I figured/was vaguely aware that there was SOME way to metaphorically "pop a mold off," but I was attempting to be more literal.:oops:

Edit:

Oh... My... God....

http://www.dpcars.net/

• Administrators
those pictures are so awesome... :shock:I am off to google "dennis palatov" to find more info! What exactly is the name of that uber-milling process, and what material is being used there??

Settle yourself in for some good reading (and answered questions)...

http://dpcars.net/dp1dsn/index.htm

http://dpcars.net/dp1bld/index.htm

Dennis lives about an hour from me. Terrific guy (and humbling to be around).

That's about as far as I'm willing to jack this thread (sorry Mull).

I'd rock a new Z like that.

I don't like the front though, having that hexagonal opening is.....bleh. Ditch the louvers and rework the rear end as mentioned above, fender mirrors...then I'd be one of the first in line.

I would disagree with whoever said to make it an I-4 engine. I would vote keep it I-6, with both turbo and NA versions.

The low tech version is called lofting. Most CAD systems will give you the cross sections you need to do that. It would be a more affordable way to get a one off made.

Cary

• 5 weeks later...
Guest tufizzle

I just sent a pm to GRID to see what happened with Nissan as far as a response. What do you guys think we have to do in order to create a demand for this car. Not necessarilly GRID's concept but the 240z concept in general. A petition to nissan? American muscle is coming back, why not the jap version.

• 2 weeks later...
Is it me, or does the front look like a sad face? Anyways, I love it overall.

Now that you mentioned that, I keep seeing this:

D_240Z_conc_97__.jpg

and this:

its-a-trap-admiral-akbar.jpg

It's a trap!

In spite of that and all the other previously mentioned crits I would still rock that as is... beauteous maximus

Does the third view down - the full frontal view look a bit strange - almost like it is smushed and the hood power bulge is recessed instead? That withstanding this is a really nice looking rendition. It's obvious that a lot of thought has gone into it and someone actuall has some styling ability.

If this is a 2008 version, though, I'd prefer the following:

1) Flush mount rearview mirrors instead of the door mount,

2) Similar styled flushed in bullet lights instead of the air catcher stock style headlight buckets,

3) Straighter lines across the front to have less area below the bumper line,

4) Shorten the hood just a little bit and make the car just a tad deeper (taller) with the height going into the body, not the cabin. It would give more interior room and also increase engine bay area a bit for some of those motors that are 'vertically challenged' in the curent S30.

Love it! Based on several of the comments on the nose... I wonder if a modernized version of the G nose would solve some of it? I absolutely love the rear... The side view seems just ever slightly too long... just my .02

Let's build some molds and make it happen! Count me in if you need some assistance in any way

• 2 weeks later...