HybridZ

Installing the GEN II Mini A/C into my 240

Derek

Well as anyone knows that lives in a hot climate the 240 air blows. Well actually it sucks and that's the problem. The blower motor sucking through the evaporator is not a very good arrangement. After doing a bit of research I opted to go with the Vintage Air unit. The tipping point for me was the fact that they use servo motors to control the flaps and this will work out better for me in the future.

After you get rid of all of the old heater and ac unit there is a ton of room back there.

The first picture is of my old unit which this being a Z car forum you all have seen before.

DSC_0002.jpg

This is the GEN II Mini with the brackets I fabbed up for mounting. With this bracket arrangement I was able to utilize the old heater mounting holes. Notice the masking tape on the squirrel cage inlet. This will help avoid removing the unit to get the last screw out of the fan when you drop it.

How do I know this!!!

The three vents in the front are for the A/C outlets and the two in the rear are for the defrost. The passenger side duct plugged right on with no mods. The divers side needed to be taken apart at the first joint and a small piece of the supplied hose spliced in. The supplied defroster hose was the same size as the factory hose so that was a piece of cake.

DSC_0006.jpg

Here's a shot of the back side with the brackets. I used 3/16†x 1†aluminum flat bar for the rigidity.

DSC_0008.jpg

When I slid the unit in for a test fit I noticed this hole in the dash bracket lined up nicely with the front mounting hole on the unit. I designed the rest of the mounts around this point.

DSC_0012.jpg

This is all that sticks out from under the dash. Much better than the old unit.

DSC_0009.jpg

I'm using their rotary switch plate assembly. This center plate is just my test mule until I can get every thing sorted out.

dash.jpg

Now isn't this better?

DSC_0010.jpg

Here's some info about the rest of the setup. I ordered The soft aluminum A/C lines from Vintage Air as well. This made for a much cleaner install. I then used custom made hoses to connect everything. I'm using a SD 508 series compressor with 134 freon. Fortunately It hasn't been too hot in my part of Florida yet but I can already tell it's doing a much better job that the old unit. The only thing I'll say bad about the unit is it's a little noisy when it's on high. But it does move a ton of air.

I'll update this in August when it will really be getting a workout.

Derek

Thanks for the photos. I've been eyeing this same unit but did not know how or where it would fit under the dash. I removed the old blower motor and heater assembly a while ago and thought about mounting it there as you did.

thanks for the write up derek. i hope to go down that road soon.

Well if you would get your butt over to my shop at some point you could check it out in person. Actually the car is running pretty good so a run over to Dayton might be in order

Derek

Hey now!! you know my car is down more often then it is working!!! lol Well thats been the case lately at least. It was down for 2 weeks then i had it running for like 1 and half. then it was back down for 4 weeks. ran for 2 days and now its back running again. lol WHAT A PAIN!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I've got the same unit for install in my 240Z. It looks like you were able to accomplish this without pulling the whole dash? That has been my biggest setback as I don't want to park the vehicle during the upgrade. I'd like to figure a way to select cabin or outside air too. I plan to add layers of Dynamat to my a/c evaporator unit to help lower the noise levels. Heck, I even used some on my home a/c unit out back. It made a huge difference! To answer chemical blue, No, it is not electric. You have to mount a belt driven compressor out front. Most use the later two or three belt pulley. instead of the early single belt often found on the 240Z.

We finished my install. Works great...except for one thing. With IC, then condensor, then rad, there is not enough air moving across the condensor at idle or low speeds. I understand Nissan had an auxiliary fan blowing on the condensor on the stock ZX set up, gonna set that up in front of the IC when I get back to Calgary next week.

Heading home from Bakersfield next weekend...that will be the true test of the AC system...driving through Vegas in the afternoon.

Yes it slid in from th passengers foot well. It is quite noisy on high and the Dynamat sounds interesting. Let us know how it works out.

Derek

I've got the same unit for install in my 240Z. It looks like you were able to accomplish this without pulling the whole dash? That has been my biggest setback as I don't want to park the vehicle during the upgrade. I'd like to figure a way to select cabin or outside air too. I plan to add layers of Dynamat to my a/c evaporator unit to help lower the noise levels. Heck, I even used some on my home a/c unit out back. It made a huge difference! To answer chemical blue, No, it is not electric. You have to mount a belt driven compressor out front. Most use the later two or three belt pulley. instead of the early single belt often found on the 240Z.

I had the same problem. I installed a Spal pusher fan up front. I have it turn on with the compressor and it made a big difference at an idle.

Derek

We finished my install. Works great...except for one thing. With IC, then condensor, then rad, there is not enough air moving across the condensor at idle or low speeds. I understand Nissan had an auxiliary fan blowing on the condensor on the stock ZX set up, gonna set that up in front of the IC when I get back to Calgary next week.

Heading home from Bakersfield next weekend...that will be the true test of the AC system...driving through Vegas in the afternoon.

We just installed the Mini in the white car and it fits nicely. We've not finished a few other mods so I can't say how well it works yet. We'll likely be able to charge it ant do a test drive in the next two weeks.

On the red car, at the same time we've been doing an install of the Gen II compact. That car is a ton hotter inside with the V12 so i wanted to use the largest we could fit in there. It doesn't have the stock dash, and is right hand drive and has extensive firewall modifications. It is a REALLY tight fit but moves lots more air than the stock setup did. I'll post some pics this week

Chelle

• 4 weeks later...

Derek...

What did you have to do to adapt the compressor into the engine? Was this a hard to do frabrication? I have no trouble with the under the dash work involved but it would sure be helpful if you would document the engine bay work you've done also!

Engine bay pictures would be greatly appreciated too!

Great work and great write up and thanx for making it easy for us wanting to do the same.

... I'm using a SD 508 series compressor with 134 freon.

Derek

• 4 weeks later...

Sanden style compressor

DSC_0001-2.jpg

These are the lines from the compressor leading into the core support.

DSC_0051.jpg

Running across the front with the custom clearance bend for the fan!

DSC_0052.jpg

Drier with high pressure cut off switch.

DSC_0053.jpg

Hard lines running into passengers compartment. I should probably put some insulation on the low side line.

DSC_0054.jpg

I'll say it again. This A/C upgrade has been the best thing I've done for my Z since I converted from the flat tops to the SU's and that was done in 82. I can comfortably drive the car in the Florida heat.

Derek

• 5 months later...

Derek, What material are the hardlines? Where did you get the fittings, where did you get the hoses?

I would assume that you went somewhere to get the fittings crimped? I am at a loss here, I have everything but need the lines to attach everything.

Did you use R12 or R134?

Any website that can help me ou with those parts?

thanks

Dayz