HybridZ

R230 Install....Tech info for those interested...

Mikelly

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest needwaymorespeed

Mark ill keep everyone posted on the conversion-unfortunatley its going kond of slow, new baby on the way yard work yada yada yada

Curtis

I guess the R230 swap interests me mostly because of th gearing, added strength, and availability of the diffs at decent prices. Yeah, the VLSD you mentioned from the SE is available but until you posted the info above about the spacer and linked the new pics I wasn't aware of that information. I'd read your page in the past but it never seemed that the swap was done or that all the part numbers had been listed out yet. Once the info gets around the SE diffs will dry up fast too!

Not all of us have access to books for finding parts that will interchange and most o****er guys won't go that extra mile unless your buds with them. When folks like yourself figure something out like this it's a BIG help! For dummies like me please take lot's of pics, list all the parts, and give us as much step by step as possible. Hell, I'll host the pics if that's what's needed. The R200 clutch LSD swap is pretty simple and I still had some trouble getting the mount in here! I'm actually not a complete idiot but the Datsun is new to me icon_smile.gif The more detail that's provided the more likely we are to try it ourselves and come up with improvements and lessons learned. Heck, I've not even moved up to CVs yet on my car because it's more trouble than the stock style Us. When it breaks I'll upgrade for sure but not just yet.

Heck, I'm hoping the 3.7 ratio works for me but if it doesn't an R230 will certainly be an option. I'm tempted to get one just to examine and tinker with - they apparently aren't hard to find or very expensive (shrug). Considering clutch LSDs go for as much as $500 these days figuring out how to use a less expensive diff would help lot's of people be it R230 or R200...

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Terry, here is the text I posted before about part #'s- It was in this thread: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=93863&page=2&highlight=powertrain+industries

Speaking of adapting the 6 bolt R230 300ZXTT, You do not have to machine your own adapter. There is a nice one you can get from Powertrain Industries. They are used to convert to a one-piece driveshaft, (the ZX had a 2-piece with weird joint in back). However, they are always backordered and takes about 1-2 months. Plan ahead and order it early in your swap. EDIT: Uses a 1310 series U-joint.

Here is the contact:

Part #3102-42

http://www.powertrainindutries.com

(714) 893-4585

7532 Anthony Ave.

Garden Grove, CA 92841

Price is steep at $116.

You will also have a hard time finding 10 X 1.25 X 25 Allen head bolts. The round head is necessary to clear the yoke. I searched everywhere and finally went with Gardner Wescott 1-800-521-9805. 10 X 1.25 X 30 Chrome grade 8 was all they had and were $2.46 each! But they look cool!

• 2 months later...

hello everyone,

Well it's been a while but I just can't stay away from the forum, I still have my ole' z and still have the itch to make it just a little better...lol. Anyway, I just purchased the r230 lsd so I have to get hunting on the rest of the swap parts. I plan on getting the flange adapters from modern motorsports but the axles, 310.00 ouch! I believe someone said 100.00 for shortening a set but was wondering if anyone has a definite length measurment for this? and what have you done for end stops?

thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just doing some searching around and found this old thread. Ha, can't grenade a 300ZXT r200 rear end I believe someone said. Well I did on a measly 365 rwhp. The rear end I used was like new as I pulled it apart before installing, clean as a whistle and tight too.

Couple of hard launches with the slicks and poof...gone.

I am either going solid axle or r230. Talked to the guy at Arizona Z and he said hopefully they will have a kit that allows the Ford 8.8 to go into a Z in approx. 6 months. I Can't wait!

Mike

Just doing some searching around and found this old thread. Ha' date=' can't grenade a 300ZXT r200 rear end I believe someone said. Well I did on a measly 365 rwhp. The rear end I used was like new as I pulled it apart before installing, clean as a whistle and tight too.

Couple of hard launches with the slicks and poof...gone.

I am either going solid axle or r230. Talked to the guy at Arizona Z and he said hopefully they will have a kit that allows the Ford 8.8 to go into a Z in approx. 6 months. I Can't wait!

Mike[/quote']

Mike did Arizona Z ever get the kit made?

Terry

When swapping the Q45 vlsd into a long nose r200 casing does the shaft length change or is it the same? Also i was wonder how this swap is holding up i got spacers for the ring gear and ready to send out the shafts to get them resplined and want to make sure i got the right lengths. I know that the passenger side is longer than the drivers side. Can someone provide the lengths so i can compaire. I want to get the companion flanges from MM.

Those billet flangs just look so sweet!

i think u mean; http://www.powertrainindustries.com/search.htm

Speaking of adapting the 6 bolt R230 300ZXTT, You do not have to machine your own adapter. There is a nice one you can get from Powertrain Industries. They are used to convert to a one-piece driveshaft, (the ZX had a 2-piece with weird joint in back). However, they are always backordered and takes about 1-2 months. Plan ahead and order it early in your swap. EDIT: Uses a 1310 series U-joint.

Here is the contact:

Part #3102-42

www.powertrainindutries.com

(714) 893-4585

7532 Anthony Ave.

Garden Grove, CA 92841

Price is steep at $116.

You will also have a hard time finding 10 X 1.25 X 25 Allen head bolts. The round head is necessary to clear the yoke. I searched everywhere and finally went with Gardner Wescott 1-800-521-9805. 10 X 1.25 X 30 Chrome grade 8 was all they had and were $2.46 each! But they look cool!

• 7 months later...