HybridZ

'81 280ZX v.possiblyforpartout

I have an opprotunity to purchase a 1981 280ZX for parts. I have not seen it yet, but will likely go look at it this week.

Really the only thing that I want out of it is the 5 speed tranny, since the manual tranny I received with my '73 turns out to be a 4 speed. I may also want the rims, but again I will know when I see the car.

The reason for my post is to see how much interest there would be for other parts of the car, to determine if buying it and parting it out would be worth my while. The guy doesn't want a lot for it, but more than I will want to spend on a tranny and some wheels.

I know that the dizzy is desirable, and to some people the L28 is desirable for building a stroker engine. This should also have the P90 head with the F54 block, which from what I've read seems to be some what soght after, especially for the earlier Z owners.

I'm told that it's a T-top car and comes with a bunch of extra parts.

What else would be desirable? I haven't really followed the S130, to see what is and is not worth taking from one.

So is it worth my while? Should I just pass and install the 4 speed I have, and deal with it? If it had turned out to be a 280Z, I don't think there would have been any hesitation. :lol:

What say ye?

First, I would like to say thanks for considering us, second! If that is a P90 head, I want it! How was the radiator? The one I took off my manual Z I bought didn't look to hot...OH! Was it power steering or manual?

2+2??

PICTURES?!?!

lol.

First, I would like to say thanks for considering us, second! If that is a P90 head, I want it! How was the radiator? The one I took off my manual Z I bought didn't look to hot...OH! Was it power steering or manual?

2+2??

PICTURES?!?!

lol.

Like I said, I haven't seen the car yet, but I will go after work this week to look at it. It's located about 30 to 45 minutes from me, so it needs to be a planned trip. ;)

I don't know any more details about the car than what I posted originally.

I'm trying to determine if there's enough interest in the other parts to warrent buying it and parting it. The other issue here is that I already have a truck in the garage that doesn't run, a bike that also isn't currently running and a bunch of other parts, with no where to really store any "possibly good" parts from this car, so the turn around from buying to getting rid of it really needs to be a couple weeks at most.

No problem with thinking about you guys, I know how hard it can be sometimes to find some parts and thought you guys might appreciate it. :D

I'am kinda full up at this point, thanks for the consideration.

It will problay have a p79 head. The cam is good for those who want to go to the soild tappet lifters on a p90a head. The p79 head is prettty much the same w/ round port exaust.

• 2 months later...

Well, the guy that has this car, called me today with an offer I really can't pass up.

So what should I keep from this car?

What parts are you guys looking for?

I'll likely pull the entire rear suspension, because I'm told it should have an R200, with proper axles to bolt into an S30, ECU/Harness, engine, rear brakes.

I don't know the condition of the body yet, I still haven't gone to look at it.

The main part that will not be sold is the 5-speed tranny, but pretty much everything else can be sold, so what is wanted by anyone?

dizzy, fuel pump (as spare for someone with stock FI) entire intake power steering if it is there (for someone for spares, power steering is not something that most people bother installing as it cuts out room under the hood for engine go parts :D)

The seats ought to bolt up to your 260, but I may be brain-farting on that one.

Personally, I cant get the idea of a complete rear subframe swap out of my mind.. I would want to go with something like a 280ZX, 240SX or 300ZX with rear disc brakes. If I were anywhere close to you I would be interested in getting the rear subframe, MINUS the R200, because my 75 280 came with one of those :)

Unfortunately theres one of those continent thingies in between us.. bugger.

It's an N/A car. I wish it was a turbo car.

Daeron, I might be able to set something up to ship those parts that you are interested in. I have a friend that lives in FL, I don't remember exactly where, but I could ship it there and maybe even use his shipping account to do so.

Thanks for the heads up on the parts that will lilkely be good to keep. :)

I might be able to set something up

Oh god no, the shipping for the type of stuff I need would be INSANE and impossible to be worth it; there is a $300 280ZX parts car on craigslist 30 miles from me right now. If I were REALLY interested that would be ample for me.. I'll probably wait until the right 240SX comes around so that I can go for the transmission and rear subframe all at once; make it a serious project, if I do something like that. I really have no clue how far I am going to go in this direction, but I NEED to do something about my rear brakes, and the last pair of wheel cylinders I saw on ebay went for over $150 (70-76 type) so the idea of repairing the stock drums seems right out to me.. I REAAAALLLYY would like to modernize the rear end a bit, but for now I'm just farting with a walkman on :wc:

Well, I picked up the car tonight.

I will have pictures tomorrow.

It looks to be a fully optioned car, power steering, A/C, T-tops, Power windows, cruise, etc.

The body is very rough, as I would expect. At a quick glance the driver fender is shot, I didn't look closely at the passenger fender, all glass is there and looks to be in good shape.

PM me with any needs, the only thing that is absolutlly off limits is the tranny. ;)

Everything else is going to be for sale.

Just thought I'd update.