HybridZ

My Z is Sick, i need help quick!!!

S130Z

i changed the oil and id did not smoke. i ran rough at idle and misses up to about 3 grand. to me it sounds like a sticky valve. i put some magic mystery oil in it trying to fix it. i have ran it for about an hour with the mystery oil and it did not help at all. it still has great power. i dont know what else to do.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Understood.

Trust me on this, the rules state that a effort must be put forward in this regard.

I agree with such rules due to a greater understanding of things.

With that being said, I DO NOT RULE AT THE ENGLISH VANACULAR, due to some physical aliments as a child. Rules are there for a reason.

Possible.

The attention to detail and never endeing stride to perfrection is the focus of HybridZ.

Without clearity of mind, dedication of attention, someone like your self would have never bothered being here.

So yes, it might be linked.

touche, i like your train of thought, you are absolutely correct. my car running bad is still the train of thought in this thread, i apreiciate your knowledge and influence but lets stick to business. i have heard of a product used on marine outboard motors that can also free up sticky valves. i am going to try this out as soon as possible and will post the results and product name.

Have you done any of the tests related to your issues as outlined in the EFI bible yet?

I can't even keep track of what your problems are at this point, but to the best of my understanding you never finished taking care of your fueling issue.. the car ran acceptably, then you changed to the big TB and have had problems ever since. I'm not sure how changing a throttle body, and then having fuel issues, could somehow be solved but then lead to a sticking valve.

You are experiencing a miss? Plug that into the troubleshooting flowcharts in the EFI bible, and run the tests in the order they recommend. Verify your fuel pressure, (harbor freight sells cheap EFI fuel pressure testers) verify proper functioning of AFM, TPS, thermotime switch, AAR, etc etc, test your dropping resistor, take the oversized fuel injectors out of there. (If everything is running right, all they will do is cause you to run rich.. it is debatable whether this accurately compensates for the "more air" supposedly flowing through the larger throttle body. Remember, the runners on the stock EFI manifold are as great a restriction as the throttle body.) Test your dropping resistor, and verify that your injectors are getting signal at the proper time.

Replace all spark plugs and wires, probably wound thurt to change the cap and rotor too, but make sure you get good, bright blue spark coming out of the tip of your spark plugs. If you are giving it more fuel than it SHOULD get, that would overburden a weak spark and cause poor ignition.

If you suspect a sticking valve, then run a compression check; simple enough. That will tell you right off. If all six cylinders are approximately even in compression, you don't have a sticking valve.

the injectors are no longer stuck open. i fixed that problem. i thought it could have been a sticky valve b/c of the symptoms i have. my oil was as thin a gas because of washing out the cylinder walls w/ the injectors stcuk wide open, i figured this could have contaminated the oil somehow causing it to stick. i am going to run a compression test today and test the others as soon as possible.

• 4 weeks later...

so all my sensors check out good, replaced my rotor and cap, plugs( plugs look great after about 1000 miles on them, There where black marks on the porclin of the plug by the electode( could not find out what that ment)) i dont have a fuel pressure guage and i am trying to get a air/ fuel guage but i dont know if one will work out unless i have a wide band 02 sensor. runs strong but at low rpms it sounds like it misses but i cant really feal it. one day i was on the way home and it started missing real bad and killed itself. hasnt happend since then. still a little confused. i will post more once i get 02/fuel guage and fp sensor.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this in another thread

i too am haning problems with my n42, its on a non turbo and i just put it on and i had a vac leak but fixed it. i dont have an aac valve b/c i put a 240sx tb on it with the trigger style tps. it has a rough idle, no power and when wide open it stalls out. any suggestions?

i have seen people using 240sx tb's with the datsun style shaft and sensor box. my tb has a trigger shaped arm to move the sensor. the sensor is circular instead of box shaped. it is the stock ecu

Take the 240SX, Potentiometer-style throttle position sensor off of your car.

Put the L28E Throttle Position Switch back onto your car.

Your ECU does not know how to handle a throttle position sensor, all it knows is three different states. Idle, Cruise, and WOT. One switch gets closed for idle, one for WOT, and with neither switch closed the computer reads cruise.

I don't know WHAT happens when you plug a pot-style TPS in inplace of a switch, but I know it doesn't work.

i do now have the box shaped sensor because i found a different tb with the same style sensor and plug, it is still the 240sx st and sensor. I did speculate that the 240sx sensor might cause some problems so i swapped it out with my origional sensor to check to see if it made a difference but it did not, i double checked by using 3 other stock sensors just to make sure it was not bad. i did find that i had a vacume leak that was giving me some problems and i fixed that. I did have a missfire problem start about a week before i swapped intakes. when i pulled my plugs they were all white as snow and i was thinking that my plugs were fouling out lean. Could a bad CHTS cause a bad reading to my ECU causing a miss? all of my other sensors are fine and but i have not checked the CHTS. I also have ran several compression tests lately and i still check out at around 175psi. Before i fixed my vac leak my car would start missing really bad to the point where it would shut its self off. this would happen about 1 time a week and it has only happened 3 times. I changed out my cap and rotor also.

change your oil, get new spark plugs (space them as recommended ) then flush your rad out after that put octane booster in your car and see how your cat is doing in the converter is clogged up then thats why your getting smoke your creating enough pressure to push the gas out

honestly i think its your catconv that went out or you need to ajust your timing to a new setting to comply with the new tb

Check the cold start injector; I think its behind the throttle body somewhere..They tend to stick open sometimes and give the engine way too much fuel. I think the lower compression is due to the extra fuel washing the oil off the cylinder walls. Unplug the cold start injector and try that.

Check the cold start injector; I think its behind the throttle body somewhere..They tend to stick open sometimes and give the engine way too much fuel. I think the lower compression is due to the extra fuel washing the oil off the cylinder walls. Unplug the cold start injector and try that.

i have taken care of all of these problems already but I apperciate the concern.

Something is missing here.

When did this start?

Was it before you owned the car?

Was there mods before than after?

You need to give absolute clarity here in order for anyone to begin to help you.

Add more than my questions if needed.

its your ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ converter if your loosing pressure and your having problems revving high

i guarantee it your exhaust is probably old and your cat converter is all clogged up

if anything buy a new converter and if it doesn't do anything return it to auto zone or run a straight pipe with no converter

Something is missing here.

When did this start?

Was it before you owned the car?

Was there mods before than after?

You need to give absolute clarity here in order for anyone to begin to help you.

Add more than my questions if needed.

I noticed the missfire about a week before i swapped intake manny and TB. It was running good when i bout it and the only mod that the car had before i got it was the EGR valve was blocked off. when i pulled the spark plugs out before i swapped intakes they were white as snow so i thought maybe my injectors were going bad.

It is doubtful that your engine just went bad (rings valves ect.)

So fuel, timing, vacuum leaks ect. seem to be a possibility.

I recommend posting a video and to start giving some voltage, ohm readings from fuel related components in order to help.