HybridZ

LT1 Guys: No more gutting the power steering pump!

Wanted to share this with you guys. After having burned out a P/S pump on #248, I did more searching on the web and found PSC Motorsports. They make a P/S delete pulley for the LT motors both F and B body.

Installation took 30 min, but I was taking my time. Basically, the kit includes an idler pulley and a billet bracket that completely replaces the P/S pump and allows you to use the stock belt.

Info: PSC Motorsports (http://www.pscmotorsports.com/)

Allen Performance Resources

11468 FM 730 South

Azle, TX 76020

Part Number: BK-MB31K LT-1 F-Body Idler Bracket

Cost: $46

I recognize that some of you are fabricating geniuses. I envy your skills. For those of us who either aren't or don't have the facilities or tools, this parts for you!

Pics of the install to follow this afternoon (families in town).

Bryan

Oh sure now someone finds this, LOL. I searched forever on this site and couldn't find it as a part you could but. Its listed as part of a $595 kit but didn't see BK-MB31K listed by itself. Do you have a link to the part?

Dale

Wanted to share this with you guys. After having burned out a P/S pump on #248, I did more searching on the web and found PSC Motorsports. They make a P/S delete pulley for the LT motors both F and B body.

Installation took 30 min, but I was taking my time. Basically, the kit includes an idler pulley and a billet bracket that completely replaces the P/S pump and allows you to use the stock belt.

Info: PSC Motorsports (http://www.pscmotorsports.com/)

Allen Performance Resources

11468 FM 730 South

Azle, TX 76020

Part Number: BK-MB31K LT-1 F-Body Idler Bracket

Cost: $46

I recognize that some of you are fabricating geniuses. I envy your skills. For those of us who either aren't or don't have the facilities or tools, this parts for you!

Pics of the install to follow this afternoon (families in town).

Bryan

Here are the pics of the kit and the kit installed as I promised....again, nothing that I'm sure a lot of you guys could do up in your shop, but great for me!

Kit:

Pulley_Kit2.JPG

Installed:

DSC04623.JPG

DSC04624.JPG

Hope this will help some you other LT1 guys who have had to rig up something. Bottom line: easy install, fairly cheap, neat and no noise, very little resistance/drag on motor.

Dale:

I accidentally stumbled on to this on another component site. I called up PSC and they said they had what I was needing. I couldn't find a pic of it either.

Bryan

Thanks I figured something like that happened. I'll give them a call. My gutted pump seems to be working fine but this would be better.

Dale:

I accidentally stumbled on to this on another component site. I called up PSC and they said they had what I was needing. I couldn't find a pic of it either.

Bryan

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine today. What length belt did you end up using? The AC delete and this pulley are much smaller than the pulleys they replace so the stock Z28/TransAm belt isn't going to work.

Dale:

Bryan

Dale:

Honestly, I'm in a little bit of a different situation. I have the Bowers A/C mount kit and it came with a belt and their A/C delete pulley. I don't have a good reference as far as comparative length.

Are you running A/C (gotta be in that hot GA weather!)?

Bryan

Thats quite a difference, stock belt is 64 3/8". I am running a Bower AC bracket so I'll need to adjust the 94" belt I'm using to compensate the the smaller PS delete pully.

Hey Dale: I just searched through the PSC website and the LT1 kit that they sell uses a 38" belt, pn # BT-60380.

If you're not running A/C, it looks like that may be the belt that you're needing.

HTH...

Bryan

Yikes! That's a way shorter. If you're running the Bowers as well, there shouldn't be a problem (at least it worked for me). Don't mean to pry, but did you mount the pulley on the lowest bolt? Only reason I ask, is that when I spoke with them on the phone, they told me to mount it using the top bolt. Doing so made the belt too long.

I went back and had to re-tap the lower hole for the larger bolt and then flipped the bracket and mounted it that way - problem fixed! No clearance issues and the belt was tight.

Bryan

I haven't mounted it yet. Thanks for the heads up on the holes. I probably won't get to it until the weekend.

Yikes! That's a way shorter. If you're running the Bowers as well, there shouldn't be a problem (at least it worked for me). Don't mean to pry, but did you mount the pulley on the lowest bolt? Only reason I ask, is that when I spoke with them on the phone, they told me to mount it using the top bolt. Doing so made the belt too long.

I went back and had to re-tap the lower hole for the larger bolt and then flipped the bracket and mounted it that way - problem fixed! No clearance issues and the belt was tight.

Bryan

When I was running the bracket I fabbed that included the PS and AC delete pullies the belt was 60". The way to figure out the correct length is cut your existing 64" belt, route it around the pullies allowing for some deflection of the tensioner then cut the ends to mate up. Either measure that belt or take it to your local parts store and they'll measure it for you. Then request a 6 rib serpentine of that specific length at the parts counter. I can't remember what the 60" belt came from but when I reinstalled the PS pump the length went to 61", turns out a belt from an Isuzu fit perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Wheelman

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to installing the PS delete pulley. I had to re-tap the bottom hole in the Camaro accessory bracket to match the 3/8 bolt PSC provided. What's up with that? Do they not have access to metric bolts to match the pulley and spacer they chose? Anyway it wasn't too difficult even with all the accessories and hoses on the car, only the Bottom heater hose was in the way a little.

Without a belt I drove it to O'reilly's to pick a new belt, its only a mile. First attempt was the stock Z28 belt but it is too long with the AC delete and the PS delete pulleys. My next pick worked. I ended up with a GATES K060615 V-Ribbed Belt (Standard) 6 Ribs 13/16" x 62 1/8". This is assuming you're not running AC and you're only running the belt on the passenger side like the Camaro does. I'm still trying to get the plumbing done for my AC. I am using the Bower AC setup on the driver's side and found GATES K060970 V-Ribbed Belt (Standard) 6 Ribs 13/16" x 97 5/8" worked better that the Goodyear version of the same number that came with the Bower setup because the Gates belt is a little longer so it was easier to get on.

Thanks again Bryan for the tip.

Anyone want a gutted LT1 PS pump......cheap?

• 1 year later...

I am using I am using Gates K06061513/16" x 62 1/8". Your's is 1/2" longer than the one I'm using. Maybe your tensioner isn't keeping enough tension causing it to flex too much and wear. Just a thought. BTW mine barely fits, it is tough to get installed but so far I have not lost one in over 10K miles.

No ac, go to Kragen and get Gates 60620. 62 5/8" for your stock bracket with the AC and PS delete pulleys. They fit fine but I just keep wearing out the inside edge. Any Ideas what might be causing that?

• 8 years later...

Very old thread , but my pump finally gave up the ghost.  The manufacturer listed in this thread as making the delete kit, no longer makes it.  So I’m looking for any help, like spec’s, to make my own; or any other ideas.  I’m running a used replacement pump, but I don’t know how long it will last.