HybridZ

Silver 16x8 002's my opinion!

I've searched long and hard over the years tryin to come up with the tire wheel combo that made my car look like the hotrod/muscle car that it should look like. Spending unmentionable hours on the internet, trying to decide over 16's or 17's and staggered with spacers or adapters (definately not what I wanted) and everything else, I could not find anything that I thought I wanted or was available, that would actually fit the style of a Z car pefectly. Well, nobody has them and nor do they give a rats ass about a wheel tha fits a Z car. I took a chance on the 002 16x 8 that I saw on EBAY, 319.00 for a set of four, and SUMITOMO 225 50 16 HTRZ from TIRERACK.com, 240.00,(these are FAT tires) and mounted and balanced with valve stems and tuner lug nuts 102.00, and man, I bolted them puppies up and took a look and yelled YEHEHEHEHEHES LORD!!! I AM IN LOVE WITH MY CAR AGAIN!!!! no more grampa style cookie cutturs that protrude way into the fenderwell, I now have the DARTH VADER look that I have been searching for, and without flares YEAH BABY! But seriously, if youve been pondering buying a set of these rims, the pictures do not do them justice in the least! They are not wierd looking like in pictures. They are smooth, beaughtiful, and fit the car PERFECTLY!!! I am happier than ♥♥♥♥! I got the hyper silver and they look awesome!!!!

IMG_0334_thumb.JPG

Big Phil was able to get his front center caps on. I think he crushed the metal dust covers as far as they would go and then cut out some of the cap.

I just painted my hub cover to match the wheel center (black) and I kind of like the look without the wheel center cap.

The wheels look great. The tire size combo is perfect looking on a Z. I am in the market for wheels and you just installed the exact wheel and tire size I am considering. When the front wheels are turned is there any clearence issues near the lower valence. Also will the rear wheels tuck up in the wheelwell without clearence issues.

The tire size is 225-50-16 and although they protrude past the fenderwells, there is no rubbing that i've encountered and my car is lowered 1". I haven't gone over any jumps yet though. Thanks for the compliments! Now it's finally time to paint this sucker...

What tire brand and size does everybody recommend? I've been meaning to get a certain set of wheels from ebay for a while.

16x8 with a +38 offset. I have a set of 4 to 5 lug adapters that adds +50, so about +12mm more sticking out. Is that a lot? Would I need flares or do I just need to roll the fenders? They include tires, so they need tire size and brand before they can ship.

• 1 month later...

Well, I purcased a set of 16x8 BBS wheels after reading your info. They will come with a set of 225-50-16. They will be one inch in diamiter larger than the 225-50-15 I have. This will be close on front lower valence clearence.

I did clearence work on the rear fender lips prior to body and paint. I dont think there will be much of an issue there. With stock struts, the rears will be close. I am thinking of going to a 225-45-16 so I dont change the overall tire size from the 225-50-15 that I know fit.

Ya I agree. I most likley I will be replacing the tires with 225-45-16 but I will trial fit the 225-50-16 first. Dum-Bass says they fit But I do I want to stay with a 24 in. dia. tire. When I can get to the shop I will do some test fitting, now that my wheels have arrived. The wheels were not in as good of condition as I would have hoped, as one of the wheels leaked air at the seam were the three pieces come togather. This is not uncommon for old three piece wheels but it was information not disclosed to me when buying. Other wise they looked great for old wheels.

Janaka, Thanks for the reassurance on the fit. May be I won't have to put the 225-50-16 on my mini van.

I just returned from the Mt. Shasta Roadster show. It was smaller than what I had heard it has been in the past, but beatiful cars in a beatiful setting with great people.

Wow, It is interesting that some people are having problems with rubbing with the 225 50 16s. I still have not even though my car is lowered and my rims are "0" offset wich means that the outer edge of the rim is 4-1/2" out from the surface of the hub! Another interesting thing is tire size. My old tire wheel setup was 225 60 15 and those tires were quite a bit taller than the 225 50 16s that i am using now and still no rubbing. I wonder if the rubbing issues are mostly on the 240Z.