HybridZ

280zx Turbo V8

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some of you wanted to see what i was going to do with the radiator support and the wastegate. here are some pics of that and some pics of the interior. I also took a pic of the side of the car and as i said previously you can not see the bars except from the back and front. I'm going to get some window tinting done so that should hide it good. (sorry for the mess. i've kinda kept everything in the car so the garage stays somewhat clean and the car is really dusty too)

P.S. I baled some hay for a guy last weekend that didn't have any farm equipment so I got some extra playing money and the alky kit form alcoholinjectionsystems.com is on its way.

DSCF0021_thumb.JPG

DSCF0022_thumb.JPG

DSCF0023_thumb.JPG

DSCF0024_thumb.JPG

DSCF0025_thumb.JPG

DSCF0026_thumb.JPG

DSCF0027_thumb.JPG

DSCF0028_thumb.JPG

DSCF0029_thumb.JPG

DSCF0030_thumb.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update- Went to the track and it was pig rich. ran faster at half throttle then it did at full throttle simply because it would just shut off when you smashed it. Changed the carburators and she runs as good as i can get it on the street. I'm going to the dyno today and i know what it should make (which is way more then i need) so hopefully i wont get disappointed. I'll put a vid up if i dont forget the camera. Oh yea, the turbo sounds like a jet engine spooling up (loud). :)

Update- Went to the track and it was pig rich. ran faster at half throttle then it did at full throttle simply because it would just shut off when you smashed it.

Better starting out rich rather than lean. Let us know how the tuning goes. I'd like to hear how a carbed turbo V8 does in everyday driving. I think tuning will be the biggest obstacle. You did great in putting everything together so quickly.

Davy

• 2 weeks later...

sorry about leaving you hanging. I went to the beach for a while before i go back to college. But its not looking good. the starter when to crap on the dyno so i didn't get any video. The car ran like crap and it wasn't gettting the boost it needed which i think is due to low spring pressure on the BOV. It kept getting better after each adjustment. But i have another starter in it and now it slips it low gear. So i'm going out tonight to adjust the band and hope that solves it.

At the track the best run i got was a 12.01 @ 92 with 98mph in the 1/8. That was the first run and i only gave it half throttle and left off around the 1/8th to make sure things were good. It thunderstormed before i got to make the next run. So i went back down that friday night and ran it. I got a 1.62 60' but it was so rich the motor would shut off if you gave if full throttle. I switched carbs to solve that problem.

The best i got at the dyno was 509hp. it was really inconsistent though. it ranged from 434 to 509. as soon as we started going in the right direction without touching the a/f the starter gave out.

there's a couple things i have taking care of to get to my 600hp goal like a stiffer wastegate spring but it just takes alot nights tinkering because blowthrough turbo is complicated and not as easy as i though. I plan on going to the track next friday so i'm hoping to get in the 10's. And i'm going to the dyno agian soon so well see. (i might be satisfied if i get 560-575 hp)

OH YEA THIS IS ALL ON SHEETZ PUMP GAS!!!!!

Better starting out rich rather than lean. Let us know how the tuning goes. I'd like to hear how a carbed turbo V8 does in everyday driving. I think tuning will be the biggest obstacle. You did great in putting everything together so quickly.

Davy

i drove it for about 30 minutes during a late afternoon (about a 85 and humid) and it stayed cool (175-180). the only time it got alittle hot(230) is when my friends came over and they all wanted rides so you know how that goes.b

I am sorry for not getting you guys videos soon enough, but here are some. Hope you like it. The camera is not that great so you really can't hear the turbo on it but the camera man said you could really hear it. If you watch close you can see the front wheels skimming.

Sheetz gas is good.

60' 1.73 1.63 1.62

1/8 6.69 6.55 5.56

mph 108.9 110.6 110.3

1000 8.63 8.51 8.50

1/4 10.38 10.21 10.23

mph 121.1 131.8 122.78

i had to let off at the end around the 1000 foot due to going lean. It may be loosing fuel pressure but i only kept my eyes on the a/f guage. going from the 1/8th mph it should be making around 595 at the wheels.

60' 1.73 1.63 1.62

1/8 6.69 6.55 5.56

mph 108.9 110.6 110.3

1000 8.63 8.51 8.50

1/4 10.38 10.21 10.23

mph 121.1 131.8 122.78

i had to let off at the end around the 1000 foot due to going lean. It may be loosing fuel pressure but i only kept my eyes on the a/f guage. going from the 1/8th mph it should be making around 595 at the wheels.

These are very impressive stats!!! :2thumbs: I loved the videos--the car takes off GRRAAAAAAAAALL! Now that you are getting it dialed in, it's showing what it is capable of. What fun!! Thanks for coming back to your thread and posting the results--they're sweet!! :D

Davy

Wow... you're not kidding. It looks like he pulled the front end up in this video.

:eek2: WoW! It does look like he pulled the front end. If not, it came REALLY close.

Gotta love home brew cars like this that can easily do 10s in the quarter and spank "superior" race cars. Then, drive it home :D

Davy

So what did you have to do to get rid of the rich condition? Looks good man, I bet there is still alot left in it.

James

I cheated and put my brother-in-laws carb that was sent out to CSU on. It was set up for his procharged F1-R 72 monte. Its still rich (10.3) before the boost comes on because its not designed for a turbo, but its working for now and i drive it alot. I'm sending my carb out to CSU which will be my christmas present from my parents this year unless i find out the secret to getting it to work other than what i already did to it. I'm back at college now so i don't have time to play with my carb.

The sad thing is I kinda want some more boost and its just SOOO easy to turn that little screw in on the wastegate. hehehe. But i'm sure my block is already screaming because of the pressure and i dont have money for the 388 i'm going to build. Hopefully it lasts alittle while but I have two strong old style 2 bolts that need splayed caps to take its place incase the 4 bolt wants to crack.

I cheated and put my brother-in-laws carb that was sent out to CSU on. It was set up for his procharged F1-R 72 monte. Its still rich (10.3) before the boost comes on because its not designed for a turbo, but its working for now and i drive it alot.

I'm a manual transmission fan but I definitely see the benefits of using a Powerglide for your application. Does it ever get annoying on the street? I assume you have higher a stall converter of some sort.

I'm a manual transmission fan but I definitely see the benefits of using a Powerglide for your application. Does it ever get annoying on the street? I assume you have higher a stall converter of some sort.

OHH NOO!!! it is so nice to cruise on the street with that glide. 65 is about 3000. The stall keeps getting higher (about 4500 now) as i make more power and its an 8 inch converter. I'm planning on getting a 10 inch next summer thats about 3500.