HybridZ

280zx Turbo V8

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any chance i could get you to measure the 4" oval for me width and height if you get a chance

https://www.drgas.net/catalog.php?catid=3

do you have any type of a flex pipe on the hot side I dont see one. From what i have been told I need to have one to avoid putting to much stress on the pipe, turbo and what not is this true?

No I do not have a flexpipe. I do not think one is needed and if the header does crack just put some weld over it. The stress comes from thermal expansion as the turbo should be braced. If you do get a flex pipe stay away from the braided ones because they will come apart due to the heat which will send metal braids through your turbo ruining your turbo. The flex pipe which are being used now and the "slip joint bellows" and not the "standard bellow." I have not priced one though.

http://www.spdexhaust.com/pdfs/AccPDFs/Bellows.pdf

I ment on your down pipe sorry

https://www.drgas.net/catalog.php?catid=3

No I do not have a flexpipe. I do not think one is needed and if the header does crack just put some weld over it. The stress comes from thermal expansion as the turbo should be braced. If you do get a flex pipe stay away from the braided ones because they will come apart due to the heat which will send metal braids through your turbo ruining your turbo. The flex pipe which are being used now and the "slip joint bellows" and not the "standard bellow." I have not priced one though.

http://www.spdexhaust.com/pdfs/AccPDFs/Bellows.pdf

dustin i read in another thread your using the (s472) s400? if so it has a smaller turbine wheel size than the (s475). this might be the way to go if you have 300-350ci motor because it spools sooner, just a thought.

andy

It's more dependable on the a/r size. Mine is 1.22 and the s475 is a 1.32 standard. You can change them to what you want. I should have gotten a s475 but they were sold out at the time and the s472 supported the power that I wanted to make at that time. Alot of guys run the s475 with the 1.32 on there 350 and a couple people on their ford 302's. I'm thinking about upgrading to a s480 with 1.22 a/r depending on what direction I go with the car.

Here's the guy I got my s400 from.

http://www.turbodaves.com

• 3 weeks later...
cool now where did you get the high pressure side from( the actuall hose whered ya buy it?) an how long is it?

It's an earls pre made -4an line. I think its 40" but I'm not sure. I got it off ebay new. Also, I would go with a digital 6 and not a 6al. That way you can pull timing out when boost comes on, but have the timing in the begining for quicker spool.

Have you dialed in the carb that you changed to blowthrough? How muh did you drill out the PV holes? What jets did you loose? How much boost? Sorry for all the questions(you might have answerd these already but I read through this at 3 in the morning) I am really inteested in blowthrough setups and the workings of them.

Have you dialed in the carb that you changed to blowthrough? How muh did you drill out the PV holes? What jets did you loose? How much boost? Sorry for all the questions(you might have answerd these already but I read through this at 3 in the morning) I am really inteested in blowthrough setups and the workings of them.

http://www.hangar18fabrication.com/blowthru.html

It would be easiest to get a carb from CSU for a dead on air fuel.

i didnt notice if you mentioned this or not but what do you use for your fuel system, pump , regulator ect.?

A-1000 fuel pump and 1302 regulator (Aeromotive) 10 feed and 8 return

• 1 month later...

Well it's been a while since I posted but I'm changing a few things on the car. I sold my turbo. And then I bought a bigger one. It has a 1.10 a/r with an 83mm turbine wheel s475. Its only costing me 50 bucks to upgrade to that turbo so I couldn't pass it up. I was going to get an s480 with the 1.10 a/r but I decided when I have the motor to take the power I'm going to get a gt47-88. I'm not satisfied with the carb so I'm getting dual brpv's in that. I lost high gear in the transmission and I think I shredded the clutches because when I took the filter off there where little peices of clutches. So I'm going to build my tranny to take 1000 hp. I'm doing my downpipe over because I really don't like how its setup right now. All of this will be taking place during spring break and I will post pictures of the new DP which will go OVER the crossmember. Last year I got most of the bugs worked out. Goal of this year is to drive it to the track, make a nine second pass, and go home. Then I'll just enjoy taking cruises. Last year was a learning experience for sure and I'm making things the way I should have done them to get the car "perfect" in my mind. Did you guys see that SMRE (Steve Morris Racing Engines which has new ownership now) made 2020 HP on PUMP GAS(93 octane) from a 572 HEMI and a procharger (looks like a F3) with BLOWTHRU?

• 8 months later...

After an unexpected misfortune in the family, I finally got around to finishing the new setup on the z. The things I changed were heads, carb work, and turbo. I am super happy with the results. I can already tell it is making alot more power then the old setup. I have instant boost. I am so stunned at how this 350 runs. The only thing I wish I did different was change one thing at a time to see what gave me the most improvement which I think is the turbo and carb work. I think the last setup would definetly run around 9.70's With this setup I think it'll go around 9.40's. Same boost, same BP pump gas, 2* more retarded @ 8psi than other setup...for now. When I get home this weekend I'll get some video.