HybridZ

280zx Turbo V8

OK just an update. On oct. 10 i'm going to be running the car again. Last time for this year. I fixed the problem of it not revving above 6500 rpms. I thought it was fuel related but after thinking hard about it I decided to check ignition. It was a real dumba$$ mistake. So I'm moving my shift up to 7000. I added alittle more alcohol to the mixture for safety reasons and i might turn that little screw in a little on the wastegate. I'm going to try for a 1.55 60' and HOPEFULLY I get 137mph in the 1/4.

I'll let you guys know the mistake. The numbers are real small on the digital 6 and kinda blurry and i had the rev limiter set at 6500 instead of 7500 :(. I checked the plugs first and then i checked the limiter. So i turned the limiter up to 7600 and just to make sure it was working ok i took it out for a test drive and took it to 7200.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll let you guys know the mistake. The numbers are real small on the digital 6 and kinda blurry and i had the rev limiter set at 6500 instead of 7500 :(. I checked the plugs first and then i checked the limiter. So i turned the limiter up to 7600 and just to make sure it was working ok i took it out for a test drive and took it to 7200.

Haha! Well, at least this was a relatively EASY fix. Don't feel bad, I have kicked myself for missing simpler things in life :D Thanks for the update, but why are you running it for the last time this year???

Davy

Haha! Well, at least this was a relatively EASY fix. Don't feel bad, I have kicked myself for missing simpler things in life :D Thanks for the update, but why are you running it for the last time this year???

Davy

I do feel like a dumb@$$ for that "mistake." I swear I'm smarter than that. haha. I'm in college so during the two 16 week semesters I really don't do much except school work plus I'm three hours away from home. Since I have it fairly tuned in i want to start making it look nice like coating the headers and such. This is more of a testing year. This coming spring-summer I'm going to race a lot more now i that don't have to fool with it much.

What kind of suspension and tires are you running in the rear to get your 60' down to 1.6-1.7?

Nice runs!

It's stock suspension and the struts on the back are alittle wore out. The front struts are just stock gabriels. I put buick t-type control arm rubber bushings that my brother-in-law had laying around on the struts to use as bump stops for the back. Tires are 235/60/15 mickey drag radials and 3.54 r200 lsd rear. I was leaving around 4 pounds, but i'm going to try to hold 6-7 pounds to get in the 1.5's.

• 4 weeks later...

First run- Had a boost leak.

60' 1.677

1/8 6.56

1/8 mph 111.27

1/4 10.08

1/4 mph 138.9

Second run- I tried to hold more boost but it pushed me through the lights and tripped the timer so the times aren't too acurate but mph is good. I figure it to be a low 9.90 or high 9.80. The front wheels seen daylight :).

60' 1.73

1/8 6.54

1/8mph 113.01

1/4 10.01

1/4 mph 140.52

PUMP GAS

I'll put the videos up and some pictures up tomorrow when i'm back up at school for all you nay sayers. I might go to the track next weekend for a test and tune just to get a 9 second slip.

Second run- I tried to hold more boost but it pushed me through the lights and tripped the timer so the times aren't too acurate but mph is good. I figure it to be a low 9.90 or high 9.80. The front wheels seen daylight :).

60' 1.73

1/8 6.54

1/8mph 113.01

1/4 10.01

1/4 mph 140.52

PUMP GAS

This is just silly sick fast. :eek2: All on a blow through turbo too. I'm amazed at what you have been able to wring out of this ZX. It warms the heart :D

Great job on getting this car dialed in so quickly. I'm amazed at the progress and the times! :2thumbs:

Davy

This is just silly sick fast. :eek2: All on a blow through turbo too. I'm amazed at what you have been able to wring out of this ZX. It warms the heart :D

Great job on getting this car dialed in so quickly. I'm amazed at the progress and the times! :2thumbs:

Davy

The best part is that my girlfriend and I went on about an hour ride listening to some country with the tops off today without changing a thing from last night.

Make sure you have a heat management plan. Lots of things in there are close to those headers. Shield and insulate as much as you can. It looks great! I can't wait for the video. :wink:

The only wires that go up past the headers are the wires for the headlight and fan and they are wrapped. All the vacuum lines are secured and away from the heat. The headers aren't close to the starter and the battery and ignition is inside the car. The only thing that got burnt from the headers are my hands from checking plugs. But yes there is some major heat under there. Once I get the headers coated it shouldn't be as bad.

NICE TIMES MAN!

What kind of chassi stiffening have you done besides the 4 point rollbar(if any)? Also how much boost are you running?

Guy

It has a 5 point. I fixed all the rusted spots(floorboards) and used alittle heavier gauge metal but thats it. The 5 point really makes it solid. I'm running 16 pounds on the rich side (11.1) injected with water/meth. No IC.

Here are some more pictures.

Thanks for posting the extra photos; much appreciated. It always helps to see what others have done in order to perfect our own systems. I like this car more than beer, really :2thumbs: The car is so totally functional and it gives me a knot in my stomach to finish my own car :sour: It's only been 10 flippin' years. At least I did get into the garage today to do some work, so I'm not totally mad :icon56:

Davy

yea thanks for the pics. Im thinking about building some custom headers and running the turbo at an angle in mine. I will post pics as soon as i get em done.

Thanks for posting the extra photos; much appreciated. It always helps to see what others have done in order to perfect our own systems. I like this car more than beer, really :2thumbs: The car is so totally functional and it gives me a knot in my stomach to finish my own car :sour: It's only been 10 flippin' years. At least I did get into the garage today to do some work, so I'm not totally mad :icon56:

Davy

yea thanks for the pics. Im thinking about building some custom headers and running the turbo at an angle in mine. I will post pics as soon as i get em done.

You really can't tell from the pics, but my trubo is angled in towards the motor. I tried all different ways and with that big of turbo thats the only way I could make it fit without it sticking out of the hood. If you have a turbo with a t4 exhaust housing (mpt70) then it will be alot easier.

To whom this may concern I'm running a -4an feed and a -12an drain on the turbo with not drain issues even though it is mounted low.

a question if you may.

I'M doing the same thing with a 83' turbo, How did you get the inter cooler off? that's the only thing that's stopping me from continuing.

also did you clear everything out of the engine bay?

-Jeff

I'm not sure I understand your question. I'm not running an intercooler and my car was L28E (non-turbo) before I did this conversion. If you can't get your stock intercooler out then cut it out. I cut out the stock radiator support and fabbed my own up which made alot more wiggle room. I took out all the fuel injected wiring and the battery box. Just look at the pictures.