HybridZ

280zx Turbo V8

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using a stock rebuild 1.76 powerglide i found for 75 bucks. It has a tci manual valve body and the stock rebuild kit was the one with the red clutches. I got the rebuild kit off ebay for like 25 bucks because seller made an error in listing it and I was lucky to stumble upon it. I didn't have to make any modification to the tranny tunnel.

Dustin

How is your project coming along? Havn't seen any posts for a few months.

The 83ZX poses some special problems like running the exhaust headers on the driver side, so there aren't too many of us with the 83 conversions.

FYI--I have the 83ZXT 2+2 body with a 383 stroker, Vortec heads, Edelbrock EFI, Comp cam, 700R4 tranny and stock 3.54 rear without LSD.

I noticed you are still running the 15" wheels with MT Drag Radials. Have you considered going with 16 or 17" wheels? I am trying to solve the wheel/tire dilema on mine now and would also like to add LSD to my stock R200 rear.

How did you find/add the LSD and what tires are you running up front? Is your project car strictly for the strip or do you intend to use as a daily driver?

I'm very interested in your project since it is giving me hope and guidance for what is possible for future mods on mine down the road, especially the turbo option. Nice job you did on the plumbing fab.

Thanks, DanJ

P.S. I'm originally from PA now residing in OK.

Dustin

How is your project coming along? Havn't seen any posts for a few months.

The 83ZX poses some special problems like running the exhaust headers on the driver side, so there aren't too many of us with the 83 conversions.

FYI--I have the 83ZXT 2+2 body with a 383 stroker, Vortec heads, Edelbrock EFI, Comp cam, 700R4 tranny and stock 3.54 rear without LSD.

I noticed you are still running the 15" wheels with MT Drag Radials. Have you considered going with 16 or 17" wheels? I am trying to solve the wheel/tire dilema on mine now and would also like to add LSD to my stock R200 rear.

How did you find/add the LSD and what tires are you running up front? Is your project car strictly for the strip or do you intend to use as a daily driver?

I'm very interested in your project since it is giving me hope and guidance for what is possible for future mods on mine down the road, especially the turbo option. Nice job you did on the plumbing fab.

Thanks, DanJ

P.S. I'm originally from PA now residing in OK.

The car is done and tuned in close. I did a few things to make it spool faster than before so it should go 9.60s - 9.70's if I get the 60' down. I have the mph. We'll see this spring. Still alittle rich at low boost. There are pictures on this thread of the car and the times it went. I found the 300zx lsd at a junkyard for 100 bucks about two years ago. It was from an 88 turbo 300zx. The rear gear is 3.54. The wheels are 15x8 sportmaxx all around. The rear tires and 235/60 mt drag radials and fronts are 225/50 tires that are v rated for speed. I forget the name. I really don't like the big wheels on cars and I would've kept the stock rims if they were in better shape and where 15 inch. Wheels have no spacers. The car is not a daily driver but I do drive it alot when I'm home. My main goal was to build a car that ran on pump gas to drive it to the track and run 10.00 flat. The cars exceeds that goal so I'm happy. But I think I might be done with the zx because I dont have the heart to put an 8 point cage in and make it a "race" car. I like the heater, cd player, and all that other stock stuff. My new plans are a F2 procharged or s480 turbo 388 CI 1979 or 1978 malibu that will run pump gas and low nines with no intercooler because they're a pain in the ass. I am looking for a cheap malibu that I can fix up so by the time I get out of grad school (3 years) I should have a solid body and money for the motor.

Dustin

Thanks for the info on your ZX mods. I'm with you, I like the stock stuff and try to find things that fit into the existing body style and interior set up. So far, so good on that.

Question: Was the 88 turbo ZX lsd a bolt on, or did you have to do some serious fab work? I have the stock R200 w/o LSD and really need that additional traction. Also, was the 88 rear a 3.7 that became a 3.54 equivalent when you mounted the MT drag radials? The overall diameter of the MT's is about 1.6 inches larger than the stock wheel/tire diameter on the ZX. If the 88 rear was a stock 3.54 to begin with, how do you think your gearing was affected by the larger rear tires? I'm running the 700R4 tranny which is close to the stock Datsun 5-spd manual in gearing along with the 3.54 stock rear, so my gearing is close to ZXT stock. The OD makes it a good daily driver. The MT's look like a good alternative for street/strip.

Are you going to sell your ZX when you start your Malibu project?

DanJ

Dustin

Thanks for the info on your ZX mods. I'm with you, I like the stock stuff and try to find things that fit into the existing body style and interior set up. So far, so good on that.

Question: Was the 88 turbo ZX lsd a bolt on, or did you have to do some serious fab work? I have the stock R200 w/o LSD and really need that additional traction. Also, was the 88 rear a 3.7 that became a 3.54 equivalent when you mounted the MT drag radials? The overall diameter of the MT's is about 1.6 inches larger than the stock wheel/tire diameter on the ZX. If the 88 rear was a stock 3.54 to begin with, how do you think your gearing was affected by the larger rear tires? I'm running the 700R4 tranny which is close to the stock Datsun 5-spd manual in gearing along with the 3.54 stock rear, so my gearing is close to ZXT stock. The OD makes it a good daily driver. The MT's look like a good alternative for street/strip.

Are you going to sell your ZX when you start your Malibu project?

DanJ

The r200 I pulled from the 300zx was a 3.7 like all of them are. I traded a 3.9 r200 i had for a 3.54 r200 and put the lsd center section in that. The MT's I'm running are 26"

I don't really know if I'm going to sell the zx or not. If I do it will probably be rolling chassis so I can just swap everything over into the Malibu. But that's only if the money is right. I would let it go as a whole if the money is right too because I have another sbc block that's saying stroke me. I don't have to sell it but I'm not doing much more to the car because it's already faster than whats it legal for. It's sad but I think the most fun of the project is when your building it and then it peaks after that first good run down the strip and to know you did everything yourself. But with the malibu I want a granny car with a column shift, bench seats and top it off with some good granny steel wheels. BUT I have to find a Malibu that I like first because I don't want to be stuck with nothing to race this spring and summer.

I don't know if you know this or not, but the 700r4 can get expensive depending on how much power you put to them. But the overdrive is nice :)

Dustin

Since the MT's are 26" and the stock tires and wheels are about 24.6" OD how did that affect your gear ratio/rpm through the gears and across the 1/4 line? ***I am now editing this question since I located a calculator that does this work for us. When I load these numbers into the calclator the change in wheel size changes a 3.54 rear to about 3.35. Substituting a 3.7 rear and using the larger tires gets the gearing back to 3.5. Check out this link. http://www.venommotorsports.com/library/tirewheelcalculator.asp

I didn't know the 700R4 would be an expensive alternative to the 350 or 400 tranny. Mine was custom-built and beefed up. I am running close to 500 HP at the flywheel now. May consider a 150 shot later. That would be the max I would be running on this set-up.

One last comment and question. First of all you convinced me to stay with my original 15" Swastica wheels since they are in really good shape. The larger wheels and low profile tires don't really impress me either. The local speed shop has the MT P235 60 R15's and would like to sell them to me.

Do you know off hand if the stock 15" 83ZXT wheel is 7"? The MT's require a minimum wheel width of 6.5" up to a maximum of 8.5"

Thanks, DanJ

Dustin

Since the MT's are 26" and the stock tires and wheels are about 24.6" OD how did that affect your gear ratio/rpm through the gears and across the 1/4 line?

I didn't know the 700R4 would be an expensive alternative to the 350 or 400 tranny. Mine was custom-built and beefed up. I am running close to 500 HP at the flywheel now. May consider a 150 shot later. That would be the max I would be running on this set-up.

One last comment and question. First of all you convinced me to stay with my original 15" Swastica wheels since they are in really good shape. The larger wheels and low profile tires don't really impress me either. The local speed shop has the MT P235 60 R15's and would like to sell them to me.

Do you know off hand if the stock 15" 83ZXT wheel is 7"? The MT's require a minimum wheel width of 6.5" up to a maximum of 8.5"

Thanks, DanJ

If I where you I would buy the tires from summit or jegs so they are new. If they are old they harden and don't hook up well. Just ask how old the tires are at the speed shop. If they are 2 or 3 years old I would not advise you to buy them. I think the swasticas are 6" but you can try the tires. They spec that for optimal tread wear and displacement I believe.

I'm welding up my hotside right now, same ssauto headers. I was going to cut off the T3 flanges off and go to 3" v-band but your car seems to run well, i just left them on like you, alot easyer...

I have a 70mm t4 turbo but planning on switching to the t6 s400 later.. do you think its on the big side for mild 350ci street use?

I'm welding up my hotside right now, same ssauto headers. I was going to cut off the T3 flanges off and go to 3" v-band but your car seems to run well, i just left them on like you, alot easyer...

I have a 70mm t4 turbo but planning on switching to the t6 s400 later.. do you think its on the big side for mild 350ci street use?

FIRST OFF, tell me what your engine combo is, and what your goals are for the car. Are you going to be fuel injected or blowthrough?

FIRST OFF, tell me what your engine combo is, and what your goals are for the car. Are you going to be fuel injected or blowthrough?

For now i plan on running 99% street. and whatever boost pressure it takes to make 500whp daily.

what i have is a basic run of the mill rebuilt 355ci '73 2 bolt block cast (8:1 compression ratio)pistons /crank/heads 1.95

Intake Weiand X-CELerator single plane intake

Camshaft Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224 int./224 exh., Lift .465/ .465, 114 degree lobe sep

RPM limiter @5500

MSD box/dist

holley 750DP modded for blowthrugh

large 4" core FMIC

3" boost piping

MP 70mm .96 a/r turbo (sold my kickass holset pro-52 to Dr hunt DOH!)

60mm wastegate

40mm bov

EV hat

E85 fuel

LS1 T56 6 speed trans

WEIR bellhousing w/ hyd push type clutch

15lb flywheel

RAM musclecar clutch/plate

Whats your ring gap?

I just pulled the motor back out today (ouch) to file the piston rings to .020~.025 gap for the high boost. im nervous i think the're .01~.015?

Whats your ring gap?

And when it goes back together ill install the MLS headgaskets...

Thats my plan for now at least...to get it on the road

late'09 or sooner if that motor grenades i intend to install my 4-bolt LT1 running MegaSquirt and EDIS-8 and probably S480 t6 flanged turb

For now i plan on running 99% street. and whatever boost pressure it takes to make 500whp daily.

what i have is a basic run of the mill rebuilt 355ci '73 2 bolt block cast (8:1 compression ratio)pistons /crank/heads 1.95

Intake Weiand X-CELerator single plane intake

Camshaft Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224 int./224 exh., Lift .465/ .465, 114 degree lobe sep

RPM limiter @5500

MSD box/dist

holley 750DP modded for blowthrugh

large 4" core FMIC

3" boost piping

MP 70mm .96 a/r turbo (sold my kickass holset pro-52 to Dr hunt DOH!)

60mm wastegate

40mm bov

EV hat

E85 fuel

LS1 T56 6 speed trans

WEIR bellhousing w/ hyd push type clutch

15lb flywheel

RAM musclecar clutch/plate

Whats your ring gap?

I just pulled the motor back out today (ouch) to file the piston rings to .020~.025 gap for the high boost. im nervous i think the're .01~.015?

Whats your ring gap?

And when it goes back together ill install the MLS headgaskets...

Thats my plan for now at least...to get it on the road

late'09 or sooner if that motor grenades i intend to install my 4-bolt LT1 running MegaSquirt and EDIS-8 and probably S480 t6 flanged turb

Do you have splayed caps on your two bolt? If they're stock caps I would get splayed or look for a 4 bolt (not the 010 4 bolts there worth some money, but the ones you get for free). 500 whp isn't asking for much. I made 509 at the wheels on 5.5 pounds of boost. My ring gap is 13 thousandths. I would get some 1.6 rockers to help bump your lift up. Master Power are good turbos and unless you want to make about 650 or higher (I think people has made that with MP70) at the wheels I see no reason to switch turbos..unless you ruin the turbo. I think you should be able to get 500 horse easy with 10 pounds of boost. I have my timing locked at 27* and another pull 8* out at 7psi. Thats really safe for carburetor. Don't mess up Fuel injected and carburetor because you can set you timing alot more retarded than carburetor. If you retard the timing too much on carb motors your headers will glow. Some guys run 10* locked with Fuel Injected Turbo motors.

Don't be afraid to bump that rev up alittle. My bottom end isn't nothing too special. Its a steel crank, froged I Beam rods, and forged pistons. and I rev it to 7000. You should be fine at 6500.

The thing with the blocks is that two bolts can't hold much power because of the two bolt mains. You get splayed caps and they can hold 900hp at the motor(1000 max I would want to go) but thats it. Thats only with the older two bolts with the long pad (up near the water pump where the head goes on) that have a stronger casting. With the 010 4 bolts (they also have a long pad)the have a higher nickel casting which makes them stronger but not as good as the old splayed cap two bolt. The 4 bolts and two bolts that have the short pad are poop and can't hold any power. I have the four bolt short pad now. Luckily mine stayed together so far and hopefully will stay together until I finish building my 388 two bolt. The reason mine is 350 is for extra strength :). Most poeple would call me nuts or bullshit for using that block and making the kind of power I am. But I'm in college and I work with what got and I had alot of parts laying around that built my engine.

Big thanks for the info dustin.

i hear ya , im working fulltime, partime college and baby.... just gotta own up to your priorities. luckily i got most of my parts b4 the baby got here! haha

I doubt my 2 bolt is splayed, if i window the block i'll install the Lt1 and setup the efi.

ttyl andy

I've got questions about the wastegate and BOV. I got them off ebay (tial knockoffs). They are XO2 Racing. The only thing bad I've heard about them is that they need a lock nut on the diaphram (10-32mm I think) and that the diaphrams broke or warped on some guys. Alot of guys are using them with no problems at all. The good thing is that you can put tial internals in them and basically have a tial wastegate for alot less. I haven't had any trouble with my wastegate or BOV. That is wth the 50mm BOV and the 60mm BLUE wastegate. Remember its the BIG BLUE wastegate and not the BIG PURPLE wastegate.

• 2 weeks later...

What are you guys doing for downpipes. I got my motor and headers in the car today and im probably gonna put the turbo in the same spot as dustin did but....... I want to run the exhaust all the way out back and I cant see where ill be able to run the downpipe unless i flatten the pipe of something to run it next to the motorstand and oil pan. Thought I would post a picture of my progress

IMG00024.jpg

I bought 4" oval tubing and two transition pieces. 5" to 4" right off turbo followed by a 90 4" with a 4" to 4" oval UNDER the crossmember the whole way to differential then back to 4" tubing with a 45* and a 4" straight trough magnaflow diesel truck muffler. Keep it tight to the car and it won't scrape.