HybridZ

280zx Turbo V8

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man I dont want to be a pain but do you have any pictures showing the downpipe to the crossmember?

The only pictures I think I got of the down pipe are on page three of this thread. I'm at college right now or else I'd take some pictures for you. It's not that hard and it only took me an afternoon to do the exhaust. A buddy would make it go quicker and less stressfull as I only had a jackstand. I'll take some pictures when I go home next which might be this weekend.

Cool thanks, hey with the turbo mounted that low have you had any problems with the return to the pan?

No. Just make sure your return in the pan is lower than the turbo. Just as long there is a slight gradient towards the pan when the car is sitting normal you'll be fine. Mine is about 1/2" and a -12an return line helps too. Make sure the Return in the pan is above the oil level in the pan also.

I've got questions about the wastegate and BOV. I got them off ebay (tial knockoffs). They are XO2 Racing. The only thing bad I've heard about them is that they need a lock nut on the diaphram (10-32mm I think) and that the diaphrams broke or warped on some guys. Alot of guys are using them with no problems at all. The good thing is that you can put tial internals in them and basically have a tial wastegate for alot less. I haven't had any trouble with my wastegate or BOV. That is wth the 50mm BOV and the 60mm BLUE wastegate. Remember its the BIG BLUE wastegate and not the BIG PURPLE wastegate.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/60MM-Wastegate-V-BAND-2JZGTE-7MGTE-RB26-Adjustable_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a543Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem270299441303QQitemZ270299441303QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

You can find them cheaper from other sellers. The cheapest I've seen is 129+shipping.

3"= bigger area = more exhaust to build pressure=less spool

It would be benificial at a higher rpm though.

A 350 isn't a wise choice for 3" crossover. Besides unless you cut the flange off those headers ( it's roughly 2.5") it wouldn't benifit you anyway.

you lost me on this one ours saying the 3" pipe is to large I would think 3" would be great i guess with it being dumped so short maybe but if your running a full exhaust wouldnt it be good?

you lost me on this one ours saying the 3" pipe is to large I would think 3" would be great i guess with it being dumped so short maybe but if your running a full exhaust wouldnt it be good?

No the size of a Crossover Pipe affects the spool time. Think about it...You have a 2 gallons of air and you put one gallon in a 3/4 gallon container and one gallon in 1/2 gallon container. Which one is going the have more pressure? Pressure makes the turbo spool. More pressure the faster spool. This is why guys that can't get their turbos to spool block half (or partial) of the turbo flange off, but it hurts their top end. Then the butterflies came about.

http://www.spracingonline.com/store/Sound_Performance_Quick_Spool_Valve/3643

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=45148.0

Yea I know it's dirty and there's oil on it. I haven't cleaned it since I last ran it. I'm doing the cosmetic work over winter break if I have time. The bend isn't as bad as it looks. It's smoothed out inside and I know the welds don't look the greatest, but they work. You can do it another way I thought of. Split(make a Y) the 5" into two 2.5 or 3" and run them on both sides of the motor. It MIGHT work but the Y will have to be almost right off the turbo. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

280zx 004_thumb.JPG

280zx 005_thumb.JPG

280zx 006_thumb.JPG

280zx 007_thumb.JPG

280zx 008_thumb.JPG

280zx 009_thumb.JPG

280zx 010_thumb.JPG

280zx 011_thumb.JPG

280zx 012_thumb.JPG