HybridZ

Questions about a 75 280z I'm looking at

I've been looking at getting an S30 for a couple yrs now on and off. It's an Orange 75 280z 5 spd transmission, no body damage and a little rust on the passenger door towards the bottom, minor surface rust just started under the battery tray, and the worst yet is the rust that's eating away the passenger floor pan. Hole is almost the size of a tennis ball. Looks like the floor pan and frame rail were damaged. Previous owner damaged it going over something I'm sure. Car also needs fuel tank cleaned(internally rusted/dirty) and needs minor mechanical work with the fuel system. Seller says the injectors are not pulsing correctly and can't find what the issue is. Also brakes may need to be all redone.

Interior and exterior is clean overall(everything in place and no cracked dash), just worried about the passenger floor pan. I haven't had a chance to ask the body shops...and I want to try to get answers on estimates before someone else buys the car, but generally if I bought a new floor pan and had a body shop weld it in...how much would it cost generally? The seller is asking for $1000 for it. We almost sealed the deal until I lifted the carpet and saw the hole in the passenger side floor pan. Should I try to bargain or $1k seems to be a good deal? Should I stay away and wait for a body with less damage?

Well, if that dash is the original and not a cap placed over the factory one, it's worth more than that 1k asking price just from that one piece ;)

It does sound like it does have some issues that need to be addressed though. How does it currently run?

$1,000.00 is a bit high to me for a non running Z. Even if the dash is uncracked, chances are it will crack if you try to remove it.

Scrap metal is high in price right now. A few years ago car body's were going across the scales for about $30.00 a ton. Lately it has been over $250.00 per ton! Notice how now there are ads for offers to haul off your junk car for free. Cut off the catalytic converter, remove the radiator, and you have about $450.00 between those two pieces and the body.

I look at any car, no matter how much I like them, to be ultimately valued at "How much does it weigh"? It is just the cold hard fact.

My opinion is not to spend over $500.00 based on what you have stated. You will quickly surpass that amount in parts to repair it. Labor is another story if not done by yourself.

A non running 280 Z with little rust or none still gets $400.00 in the middle of Oregon. $1000.00 will get you a decent running 280 Z but this takes serious searching. I advertise WTB or Looking in the car and parts ads on Craig's List and get results if not flagged. I was given free a complete 72 F250 3/4 ton Ford with title and got $280. for it at the scrap yard with the wheels removed there. I still have the radiator and battery which was the only items removed for additional recycle.You can get a salvage dealer come right to your home to buy a catalytic converter and get top price if you call around from Craig's List ads ($75.00 for Z converters). I bought a 83 ZXT that would start (bad turbo) for $350 last year with no rust and a non running 81 ZXT with a little rust for $50.00. 240 and 260 Zs are getting hard to find but I know of a rust bucket 260 Z parts car in in Southern Oregon for $50.00. There still should be a bunch of old Z's in California for cheap still. Over four bucks for Arab's Gold in this area but just diddling around I made more than the insulting stimulus check with scrap'n. Better than watching high definition TV looking at the wretched humanity waiting in the block long line with me at the scrap yard. Thank the the politicians and administration for the mess we are in kissing the arse of the rag heads and non existent weapons of mass destruction and a hand full of terrorists. That's the for sure real facts from the back waters of Fall Creek, Oregon

Thanks for all your opinions so far guys. I offered the seller $500 for it seeing how I've been searching for Z's lately and they're not in as good a shape as the current one for more money. Seller offered to deliver for gas money only. This should be a good project on the side to keep me busy for a while. First things first is to clean the fuel tank and get the fuel problem worked out so I can drive the car when I want to, then get to the rust this summer when it's too hot to drive anywhere...although the car does come with a working ac system last he knows.

This is the one that I want to restore for some odd reason, I seem to have a restoring conscience or something within me. I love the Vinyl roof! So vintage. I appreciate all your help so far!