HybridZ

List of Lightest Cars for a project.

cyrus

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will throw in a vote for the original ('60s models weigh the least) mini or something like a Fiat 600. Both cars weigh around 1400 pounds (or less) and swapping in the motorcycle engine and trans would probably drop a few pounds.

I've been considering doing a motorcycle engine/trans in one of these and using it as a commuter car.

BMW 700? now that would be fun, RWD already setup to be aircooled with a moto engine, ultra small. fun machines that can be had cheap.

bmw_700_1.jpg

The BMW already had a great motorcycle engine. Had one back in the 60s. Would love to find another. The things were fast too. I saw one at the Santa Barbara road races beat Mickey Tompsons 289 Falcon after starting behind all of the large sadans. Of course it was poped out to 1000CC.

Took the 700 to hill climbs and othe events and almost alway won. It was more the car than the driver. No one back then really knew what class to to put it. It was way faster than the mini coopers and all of the rest under 1000CC.

The NSU, Fiat Abarth, Some of the original Suzukis, Fiero, would be interesting. I would also look at some of the kit cars.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Wow, if he was looking for a 4 seater that is light enough for a good power to weight ratio with a bike engine that slims the choices considerably.

I was going to mention the Honda 600, Fiat X1/9, or a 50's-60's light fiberglass job like the Berkley, but they don't seem to fit his criteria.

Perhaps a Fiat Millicento like the one Jay Leno featured a while back at his website.

1957-Fiat-1100-Select-front.jpg

He could also try tracking down a Toyopet ST-10 Corona.

20040326_CoronaRT10.JPG

Maybe try like another member on this board and build a Triumph 10

Triumph_TR10.jpg

I've got a Civic CVCC at my disposal that I'd be willing to part with as well.