HybridZ

my slow, but steady build thread, 80' zx

ZXT_bean

well i guess we can start with some history on the car. i purchased it from the original owner, and he just so happened to live in arizona! well in 02' he moved from arizona to knoxville tennessee. which is where i found the car is late 07'. need less to say i took the trip down, only to find a 95% rust free car along with the original title, dealer sticker, ect. ect. ect.

1020071749.jpg

1020071749a.jpg

PB100117.jpg

well its been about 8 months now, and ive finally got some extra time to start wrenching on her. when i purchased the car, i was aware that there was a very excessive amount of blow by. and by the time i got the car home, it no longer was running. so this past week, ive been slowly taking things apart to prepare to pull the motor, and today it came out of its home.

PB110144reduced.jpg

PB110145.jpg

PB110154.jpg

id love to be able to tell you what motor is going to go back in there, but at this current moment, im stuck between a rb20, or a turbo l28. the car is originally an Auto car, so it makes more sence to just buy an entire swap. but im gonna hold out as long as i can, maybe ill come across a nice parts car.

DSCN0351.jpg

DSCN0352.jpg

now that the engine is pulled, i can concentrate on doing body work, and paint. i will try to take as many pictures as possible, and keep an up to date thread. thanks for taking a look.

DSCN0354.jpg

DSCN0355.jpg

DSCN0356.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go download the FSM and read it, everything you need to know is in there. The S130 is not to difficult to take apart the first time I took mine apart was when I was 17. Its on xenonxiii web site. By the way I might now of a 82 turbo auto parts car about 3 hrs away from you that might be for sale.

tbs

anyone know how to get the window moldings and b pillar trim off? ive tried searching, and keep coming up empty.

Have you got teh replacement rubber for this?

I need to do mine in the next year or so - it's getting damn old looking...

What products would you recommend for removal/re-gluing of new stuff?

ive already down loaded them, lol it makes a referance as to what to call it. but other than that i cant find the actual procedure. ill look through it again. and as for that parts car. please keep me informed!! the sooner i can get some sorta drive train in the works, the better.

Nice.

By the end of summer I will be getting a nice 280ZX that was owned by an elderly lady. It is mint. Can't wait.

You got yourself a solid car. Looks like it is free from rust and strong.

Keep it up.

Jaime.________________________________________________________

Hey twisted, I saw your car on craigslist a few weeks ago and was sad, hoping you weren't going to sell it.

To be honest, I took the Entire interior or my car apart with a interchangeable end screwdriver and a wratchet... Only broke a few tiny interior clips, Only because they were brittled and cracked from the sun.

GJ on the progress so far, I hope all goes well.

Hey twisted, I saw your car on craigslist a few weeks ago and was sad, hoping you weren't going to sell it.

To be honest, I took the Entire interior or my car apart with a interchangeable end screwdriver and a wratchet... Only broke a few tiny interior clips, Only because they were brittled and cracked from the sun.

GJ on the progress so far, I hope all goes well.

yea at the time i was thinking i really didnt have time for another project, but then decided to say screw it, if it takes me 4 yrs to complete, it takes me 4 yrs lol

anyone know how to get the window moldings and b pillar trim off? ive tried searching, and keep coming up empty.

If I recall correct, the b-pillar trim has 2 screws behind (inside the car, under the interior panel. And the window trim has some hidden screws under the weatherstripping I believe.

If I recall correct, the b-pillar trim has 2 screws behind (inside the car, under the interior panel. And the window trim has some hidden screws under the weatherstripping I believe.

well sorry for the lack of updates. been spending alot of time at the ladys house lately... :icon45: i got the b pillar trim off.. but im scared to go near the rest.. hahah.. but ill get to it.. body work should be commencing this week some time.. so i will have an update for everyone by mid week..

I have to talk with my one of my friends, because he is going to sell me a turbo engine, which means I'd have two motors left over that I would be selling. I am not sure which one of the engines he wants off me, but I would have One left over..

One engine has 180k one has 110k.. I drove around on the 110k engine and it gave me No problems whatsoever..

;) ( the 110k engine is sitting on my garage floor.. lol )