HybridZ

Carbon Fiber Needs?

RedFive

I like the ideas expressed already.

1) Door skins. Perhaps with some allowance for ear-height tweeters and 5-inch speakers lower on the panel?

2) Heater panel, with allowance for modern radio stacks.

3) Perhaps a dash cap with allowance for 4 gauges. My old dash is so ratty I would gouge out a space in it for the back of a fourth gauge to fit- IMO.

4) Hatch-area speaker nodes, replacing any of the other of the stock panels in the aft end.

5) Perhaps even an entire rear panel plastic replacement set.

6) Replacement crossbar with dome light, but allowing for additional speaker install points, or perhaps for separate driver/passenger aimable map lighting, like in aircraft.

I would buy most of these- if not all of them.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I think if he manufactured the carbon fiber splitter's.. the price would scare everyone away.

Carbon fiber is gradually increasing in price.. and a large MULTI-LAYER panel would be really pricey. (Starting from in front of the bumper, back to the front cross member) **eBay sells 65'' L X 18'' W X .0125" carbon splitters for $150 plus $75 for shipping**

Here is a general idea.. a local company has carbon fiber available for $50 per yard. that's 50" inches by 36" inches. Now one layer would be way too weak.. in fact it will flex.. ALOT. One good layer would be around $100~ish. Now imagine the epoxy, manufacturing, cutting, trimming, sanding, polishing would add more money. Now run several layers of it.. im sure you can add it up.

You could probably make several aluminum units for the same price.

if you like the look, maybe just cover the aluminum with carbon?

Hey guys,

My buddy and I are in the aerospace industry and we're looking to make some money on the side. We've got a lot of experience working with carbon fiber but it'd be kind of pointless to go throw a mold together of something somebody already makes and sells.

So my question is for you guys...is there something specific that a handful of you really want made out of carbon fiber? I mean, it would have to be more than just a couple to make it worth it for us, but we'd like to hear some suggestions from you guys.

Let me know, thanks!

Logan

Ok, What about a carbon fibre rocker cover. One size fits all. Much lighter than the Nissan alloy job. Now that's cool!

pcs

Yeah, the project is still on. I got your template yesterday Challenger, thanks! We definitely have the resources and experience to do cf, eglass, aluminum, etc...the difficulty is deciding where to start. I PMed quite a few people on here about specific parts and the response was luke warm at best.

I think you guys pooh-poohed the interior panels too early. Since they are not structural they could be done in a single layer. They are relatively small and universal fit to all the S30's. I think they would have a better chance of being a commercial success than a splitter, JMHO.

I agree... interior pieces would be excellent.

I just think once the front splitter was produced and a rear diffuser.. people would see the price and then put it on their wish list and NEVER buy them.

The few people who actually have money would buy them, but it would not be worthwhile for the producer.

Agreed.. I would love to get some of those rear panel replacments, but I think there would be the need for some more CF in the front area.. I think a center console and rear panels would rock. Maybe after that I might consider buying some of the CF door panels. Also the top cross panel with the dome light would be nice.

just fyi theres already a c/f entire front LIP made for 240-280

if it was me doing it i would make the inspection lids and cowl....might not be the simplest but once you get the mold itd be pretty simple AND like others have said anyone can get a hood (hell i just bought one) but it kinda looks out of place without something else....which is why i have the front lip, hood, flares, rear small bre spoiler, and tail-light panel for my 280z but the cowl and inspection lids would definately help blend it to the rest (cause there wouldnt be that paint before the windshield) and it shouldnt be a real expensive piece i wouldnt think....100-200$range but my thoughts on interior and exterior (again just my opinion) is if you have one thing you have to have others.....i already have spent almost 2k on fiber for my car....alot of people cant/would rather spend it somewhere else (but ofcourse i wanted to be different) but if you make headlight buckets you need fenders....then if you made the other pieces you could have a full c/f front end.....but what about the back? and to my knowledge c/f is for aero and weight savings....doors would be great looks wise and weight wise....i know the racing guys would be all over it and most are sponsored or have big bucks anyway and they would definately buy them but again i dont think it would look totally right but thats why i suggested what i did....if you could give us a price range on a cowl and inspection lid (ofcourse depending on x number of people) that would be great......id go ahead and get a list started....

interior pieces....

cowl panel....

and so on, that way you can see whos interested and then give us a more accurate price based on demand

I can see the appeal of making a splitter..its easy! But not in great demand. Create a product with the widest appeal.

The problem with interior pieces is you need to create 6 molds. But every S30 has cracked panels!

And so on...pros and cons with everthing!!

I agree... interior pieces would be excellent.

I just think once the front splitter was produced and a rear diffuser.. people would see the price and then put it on their wish list and NEVER buy them.

The few people who actually have money would buy them, but it would not be worthwhile for the producer.