HybridZ

Need Help With Fusible Links...

tommyboy

Hey guys, I have an N/A '81 280ZX 2+2 and I gotta question. Does anyone know what the amp ratings are for the fusible links? I'm wanting to convert to using Maxi fuses, but I need to know amp draw in order to do that. There are 6 different wires & 3 different colors. 3 Green, 3 Brown, & 1 Black. Here's a diagram to show how they hook up to my car...

FusibleLink1.jpg

Any help you could give, I would LOVE!!! Thankx!

Yeah, I searched but ALL of the fusible link threads are about either 240Z's or 280Z's. And I found that website link to the Atlantic Z Car Club (http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fusiblelinks/index.html) which has which has fusible link colors & amp ratings, but I think these ratings were ony for Z's, not ZX's because they don't have any ratings for brown fusible links. Also, in this thread: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=775792, Warren has a diagram of what color the wires are & what amp fuses should be used & they're different amps from the other website. The only thing about Warren's diagram is that I can't use it because it's for an '82 & my car is an '81 (You wouldn't think the wiring would be THAT much different but it TOTALLY is). I mean, if someone has a DC amp meter that can test their fusible links in their car it wouldn't take but 2 minutes (I don't have one). So again, if someone could PLEASE help me with this dilemma, I'd appreciate it. Thankx!

Nissan's parts section know very little about the Zs. They have a hard time finding parts, and then they mix up part names, and think they know more about my Z than I do. You pretty much need to go in with a really good description, diagram, or straight up part number. At least that's the way it is around here. I've wanted to do the conversion myself.

try having a search around on google for fusible links and colours. I managed to find a website a while ago that listed the coulors and their usual ratings.

I'm not at home at the moment but I'll see if I can find the page tonight.

Alrighty guys after a lot, and I mean A LOT, of searching and hoping, I di it!!! I finally finally found out that the fusible link amp ratings found on this link:

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fusiblelinks/index.html

are right for the 280ZX's also. I know some of you are asking yourselfs, "Sow how can this be true when there aren't any amp ratings for brown fusible links?" Well here it is...apparently, the fusible links that we all think (including good ol' Nissan) are brown, are ACTUALLY red! I know, I know, they don't really look red. More like a rust color eh? I mean, even Nissan has 'em labeled as brown when you order them! Even though they're labeled brown, they have the same amp rating as the red ones. I found a thread on one of the Z forums online where a guy tested the fusible links out of a 280ZX and his findings were that the greens fry around 40 amps, the browns (reds) fry at around 50 amps, and the black ones fry around 80 amps (just like the linked page above says). Well, there it is folks. A little FYI though, I'm gonna be installing a Maxi fuse block in my car in the next few days, so I'll keep ya posted as to how it's runnin. GOOD LUCK ALL!!!

The brown links are actually 0.3mm^2, not 0.69mm^2, so I doubt they carry as much as 50A. I would venture to guess that they're around 20A.

Holy Shnikeys!!! You're right! Sorry 'bout that guys. Aparently I got some bad info. The brown ones ARE 0.3mm^2, the green are 0.5mm^2, and the black is 1.25mm^2. My bad (Damn internet lol), anywho, hope this clears up my mistake.

Okay guys, I have an update. I installed the maxi fuse blocks in my car with 20 amp fuses in replacement of the brown fusible links (though, you might need a bigger fuse for the combo headlight relay depending on your headlight setup), 40 amp fuses in replacement of the green fusible links, and an 80 amp fuse in replacement of the black fusible link. Well, so far so good. Everything works great, and I will keep you posted on any new happenings. Also, I'll post a few pics of my setup either later tonight or tomorrow. Good luck everyone!!!:-D:-D:-D:-D

• 8 months later...

I replaced one of my fusible links with an ATCc. I'll have to take a pic.

But, aren't the ZX alternators ~65 amp? I think the '82 turbo was up to ~70 amps.

Why would there be an 80 amp black fusible link if the alternator couldn't put out that many amps? :hs:

That 80amp is also in between the fuse block, and ignition/acc relay

Of course!! You are right, the battery can put out 100's of amps :wink:

p1010064.jpg

25 amp ATC fuse:

p1010065.jpg

(It's funny, because my thumb isn't that gross-looking in real life!!) wow...

p1010068.jpg

Haynes Manual:

p1010069.jpg

Edited by hughdogz
added pics