HybridZ

Concept 240Z

EvilC

This one might get TSed, or maybe merged with the other thread about it...but in the meantime, I noticed one major flaw with this design that would never make it as a manufactured piece: The side elevation of the car is almost dead to rights the same as an S30...complete with forward-angled overhang. Despite the great looking airdam, skirts and rear valence, it's got all of the aerodynamic curses of an S30 Z, including large front openings, exposed wipers and abrupt cowl / windshield transition, long front overhang, no spoiler, the same rear hatch angle and curvature, same hood length and curvature.

For all its modern appearance, it's a heavily reworked S30. Which is all right, since it's just a digital model, but if it were to be used as a basis for an actual car, numerous things would have to be fixed.

Case in point, here's an S30 overlaid onto the rendering:

z_overlay.jpg

You'll notice he's actually extended the leading edge of the hood forward a bit. To his credit, the windshield has been laid back and the transition into the roof is smoothed, but the remainder of the car is almost completely S30 Z.

A manufacturer would likely reduce the wheelbase, possibly between the cowl and front wheelwell, the 'nose' would be trimmed back such that the hood would not be the primary leading edge, but rather the bottom of the airdam - both due to aerodynamic and crash concerns. A steel piece that far forward would not meet current crash regulations, and polymer / foam pieces would be placed ahead of it instead.

It's a neat concept. I really like it, but I know it would get severely bastardized by any auto manufacturer.

Well, yes and no. In appearance and overall purpose of design, it should unmistakably evoke its roots, but if you're going to build an entirely new car, you should build it to address the shortcomings of the original...not simply take the original and tack on a lot of bodywork and make subtle changes to make it look modern.

Many 3D artists set up 2d images of what they want to produce on a flat plane behind their 3D workspace so they can get the shape right in a freeform environment. It's fairly obvious an S30 was used. In doing so, many of the S30's flaws that could be addressed in an entirely new car were retained instead of worked out.

Yea, though I really liked this design/render, a lot of work would have to be done to rework the front end to make it aerodynamic.

In reality I think a production modern 240Z would have to look more like a 280Z. You have to add a leading edge farther forward than the hood, so it needs a bumper.

Here's an example. Check out the hood line in relation to the bumper on the origonal 65' mustang.

65mustang.jpg

And now look on the new mustangs how the extended the lower bumper farther out and tucked in the hood and headlights a bit more.

05_mustang_beach_s.jpg

The new mustang is a great example of making a retro car. It looks so similar to the origonal it's scary, yet it's not just the origonal modernized, it's a completely reworked aerodynamic machine. The Ford GT was the same way. You could park the origonal GT40 next to the GT and your eye didn't pick up the differences, but the windtunnel data shows a completely different story. The origonal was scary to drive at high speeds, and the new GT pumps out plenty of downforce.

I'm sure it's possible to make a modern 240Z work, but this concept in this thread sadly isn't it.

As capt furious put it, it's a S30 that's been made to look modern.

Taste being subjective, Nissan's styling department has been smoking a lot of high-grade controlled substances in recent years.

I'm of the opinion that the S30 lives on in an ironic place; the origin of its inspiration - a British GT:

SC06_Aston_Martin_Vanquish_black.jpg

Yes, it's a $200,000 + car, but the design philosophy is far more present in that design than in the current Z. Visually, very little would have to be changed to make it look very similar to an S30 without suffering aerodynamically. The body lines, headlamps, grille and glass are far closer to the original Z than anything Nissan has produced in 20 years.

Considering how close it is in actual size....a body kit is in order! :mrgreen:

Case in point, here's an S30 overlaid onto the rendering:

z_overlay.jpg

You'll notice he's actually extended the leading edge of the hood forward a bit. To his credit, the windshield has been laid back and the transition into the roof is smoothed, but the remainder of the car is almost completely S30 Z.

A manufacturer would likely reduce the wheelbase, possibly between the cowl and front wheelwell, the 'nose' would be trimmed back such that the hood would not be the primary leading edge, but rather the bottom of the airdam - both due to aerodynamic and crash concerns. A steel piece that far forward would not meet current crash regulations, and polymer / foam pieces would be placed ahead of it instead.

It's a neat concept. I really like it, but I know it would get severely bastardized by any auto manufacturer.