HybridZ

Jeep 4.0 swap?

RA64

I have a 72 240z I'v been looking to do a swap for a long time. some of the things iv looked in to are stroking a l28. $$$$. ca18det. well things have changed for me. (new baby boy coming in 2 weeks) i just bought a 1996 jeep cherokee for my girl an been looking more an more in to the 4.0 motor an i am impressed. the power is impressive for a SUV thats 2 tons. the throttle response is probably the best iv ever felt. Thing that I like in a motor, torque, throttle response, reliability, ease of tuning, an cheap!

INFO: 4.0L_HO_1999_WJ.jpg

Description in-line six, overhead valve (two per cylinder), flat-face followers, hydraulic lifters, cast iron block and head

Displacement: 3960 cc (242 cubic inches)

Bore and stroke 98.4 mm x 86.7 mm

Compression ratio 8.8:1

Redline: 5,300 rpm

Maximum power

USA - 190 hp (142kW)@4,600 rpm; 235 lb-ft (319 Nm) @ 3,200 rpm

Now for the fun stuff

1. bolt on parts

2. stroker

3.turbo

4.supercharger

Some other thoughts on this motor.

to me its very much like a l28 to me in size. the lay out is the same intake, an ext. to me the intake can use an update like RB20_DET_RB25_DET_RB26_DETT_Intake_Manifold_Plenum.jpg

these motors must be cheap they sold millions of them!

you can get parts every where, big plus!!!

tell me what you think

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the weight of the engine (dressed)? Is the block aluminum or cast iron? Any ideas on bottom end? I'd assume its just a 2-bolt main. I doubt they really went above and beyond with the internals, but who am I to say... I don't own one.

not to sure but just found this.The '87-'90 engines had Renix electronic multipoint fuel injection, electronic ignition, a single 51mm (2.0") throttle body, and a rather inefficient low port cylinder head.

In 1991 engines received Chrysler sequential MPFI, a larger 60mm throttle body, revised intake and exhaust manifolds, and a more efficient high port cylinder head. As a result, these engines produced 13hp more than their predecessors and gained the "High Output" designation.

In 1996 engines received noise, vibration, and harshness fixes. The blocks were stiffened with extra ribbing, a main bearing brace was added, and lighter cast aluminium pistons were introduced to reduce cold start piston slap. Engines also received revised camshaft timing for more low rev torque.

In 2000 a distributorless coil-on-plug ignition system was installed, intake and exhaust manifolds were revised, and a more efficient water pump was included.

I have a '96 Cherokee, and I love it. The engines in those things run forever, and make fine power and torque.

Most of the mods you're going to see for that 4.0 will be torque oriented, and that's what off-roaders want.

The best head for that engine is the '94, '95 model. They dropped compression steadily in that engine.

The best intake for that engine is the rounded '99-'01 intake (earlier models are squared off). As compression dropped, they maintained the power rating by steadily improving induction.

That intake and head were wort 24 rwhp on my Jeep.

Too heavy for a Z car, IMO, even with a Hesco aluminum head. You can sort of get away with putting a heavy V8 in a Z because the V8's center of mass winds up being further back in the chassis, but a heavier inline-6 (like the Jeep) puts more weight over the front axle line.

But it is a sweet I-6, I've had 2 Wranglers ('97 Sahara and '04 Rubicon) with this engine, and I loved the smoothness, low rpm torque, and throttle response.

If you want unique, I doubt theres many Z's in the US with Ford 4.1 inline sixes from Australia.

It'll cost mucho dinero to source and import, but the engine itself in aussie will be fairly cheap, it's shipping and sourcing parts that would be the pricey bit.

But hey, look at the aussie ford website and see what sort of power you can pull from a turboed motor :P the typhoon has pretty nice power figures, and room to mod.

If you want unique, I doubt theres many Z's in the US with Ford 4.1 inline sixes from Australia.

It'll cost mucho dinero to source and import, but the engine itself in aussie will be fairly cheap, it's shipping and sourcing parts that would be the pricey bit.

But hey, look at the aussie ford website and see what sort of power you can pull from a turboed motor :P the typhoon has pretty nice power figures, and room to mod.

Any quick links for those of us (me!!) that are to lazy to try and find said sites? :-D

Any quick links for those of us (me!!) that are to lazy to try and find said sites? :-D

http://www.fordaustraliaforums.com/ check out the forums.

http://www.fordmods.com/

http://www.snortperformance.com/ford_turbo_kits.htm

http://www.capa.com.au/kits_ford_au_6cyl.htm (superchargers)

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/

plenty more on google.

• 2 months later...
Guest michanic220

who would want ANY part of a ford in there Z?

not me, thats for sure.:wc:

Yea, I'd watch the bashing of any brand around here. You can get flamed for bashing Honda, and the Honda fans around here are in a small minority, there's a lot of Ford fans and buffs around so don't be so quick to make broad general terms like that.

All companies have had great ideas and contributions to the automotive world. Those that fail to see it are just missing out on some of the great things out there to be discovered.

There is a stroker version of the 4.0L motor too (makes a 4.6L). 260Hp @5200 rpm - 295 ft-lbs @ 4000 rpm. Its a bit pricey. Info on quadratec.com website. Looked at it for a '97 Wrangler.

May want to check out Chevy's inline 5 cyl from the Colorado/Canyon line (H3 also). I've seen some interest for Toyota truck swap (getting rid of the 3.0L V6). Like 240 Hp and lighter weight than the 3.0L, I believe they are an all aluminium motor.