HybridZ

Jeep 4.0 swap?

RA64

Guest michanic220

im sorry but ill speak my mind, any honda car is JUNK. and i dont know where your getting the jeep 4.0 was deprived was honda, crystler had no part of ford and ford had no part with crysler.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any honda car is JUNK. and i dont know where your getting the jeep 4.0 was deprived was honda, crystler had no part of ford and ford had no part with crysler.

He said it was "derived... not deprived" from FORD... not HONDA:

^ Funny you should say that, the Jeep 4.0L was derived from a FORD years ago.

And yes, FORD was involved with Jeep. Checky: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep (0h snapz!!!)

The first jeep prototype (the Bantam BRC) was built for the Department of the Army by American Bantam in Butler, Pennsylvania, followed by two other competing prototypes produced by Ford and Willys-Overland. The American Bantam Car Company actually built and designed the vehicle that first met the Army's criteria, but its engine did not meet the Army's torque requirements. Plus, the Army felt that the company was too small to supply the number needed and it allowed Willys and Ford to make second attempts on their designs after seeing Bantam's vehicle in action. Some people believe that Ford and Willys also had access to Bantam's technical paperwork.

Quantities (1,500) of each of the three models were then extensively field tested. During the bidding process for 16,000 "jeeps", Willys-Overland offered the lowest bid and won the initial contract. Willys thus designed what would become the standardized jeep, designating it a model MB military vehicle and building it at their plant in Toledo, Ohio.

Like American Bantam, Willys-Overland was a small company and, likewise, the military was concerned about their ability to produce large quantities of jeeps. The military was also concerned that Willys-Overland had only one manufacturing facility: something that would make the supply of jeeps more susceptible to sabotage or production stoppages.

Based on these two concerns, the U.S. government required that jeeps also be built by the Ford Motor Company, who designated the vehicle as model GPW (G = governmental vehicle, P showed the wheelbase, and W = the Willys design). Willys and Ford, under the direction of Charles E. Sorensen (Vice-President of Ford during World War II), produced more than 600,000 jeeps containing their cost slightly above 300 dollars per unit, due to its mass-production system economy. Besides just being a "truck" the jeep was used for many other purposes.

Oh... and is the Honda F1 racecar junk too? :D

What is a crystler anyway? Is it one of those cars that makes crystling noises when you step on the accelerator? Or does it have a special engine made to run on chrystl oil?

Sorry, but broad sweeping statements aren't looked upon favorably here. If every car that was produced by a specific company were in fact junk, then they quite honestly would not be in business anymore.

Oh, and ever seen a Ford GPW? Okay, so they were made before AMC or Chrysler owned the Jeep marquee, but they have plenty of history collaborating

im sorry but ill speak my mind, any honda car is JUNK. and i dont know where your getting the jeep 4.0 was deprived was honda, crystler had no part of ford and ford had no part with crysler.

Ford was contracted to produce "jeeps" during WW2 because the military demand was so high. (souce Fifth Gear ep:14x6)

The wiki does state anything about which engine they use and when the engine was produced. I'm going to take a wild guess here, and think they had L4 in there, thats why they could meet the torque requirements, that and the demand for steel was so high back then.

Trying to steer this thread back to the original topic/question. All I've read on here so far is that everyone is talking about the "car" not the engine.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/40.html

I love know it alls... (directed at michanic220)

The Inline six AMC blocks were originally developed by Ford. You know, AMC, the same company that used early buick V6's in the CJ series etc.? That AMC, the company that used very little of their own parts to build a vehicle and outsourced a lot of it?

I'm a huge jeep buff, I own several and wheel the piss out of them off-road. I know what i'm talking about.

I'll speak my mind too then. Saying any Honda is junk when you drive this, come on.:shock: Don't be prejudice towards Honda. Technology, reliability, economy, pretty good HP/liter, what is junk about that?

zxcm3.jpg

I'll speak my mind too then. Saying any Honda is junk when you drive this, come on.:shock: Don't be prejudice towards Honda. Technology, reliability, economy, pretty good HP/liter, what is junk about that?

zxcm3.jpg

I have to agree. They are usually junk because of the owners, not the manufacturers.

Hey, my dad had a Buick 350 in his '66 Wagoneer. It ran great until you got it so vertical that it sucked all the fuel out of the float. Backing down a steep hill without power brakes or power steering makes for one exciting ride.

Back on topic though. If you were seriously looking to perform the swap then most of the bright points about the '91 and up H.O. 4.0 have been pointed out. Like I said before though, it all comes down to commitment, fabrication skill and the amount of cash/work you were willing to put into it.

Guest michanic220

hmm, I'm sorry. i left that painted a different color for a day.

because i didn't want the weather to get to it and rust it.

I'm in Florida, i ain't no Yankee like you northern idi..well you get the point.

I'm not a "know it all" i never claimed to know everything. in-fact there is alot i don't know. thats why I'm on here learning about it.

but jeeps are not running any kind of ford engine that i know or have ever heard of. out of all the research i have done..

you show me something that states factory specs of them having a FORD BLOCK in the JEEP and i will kindly say i was wrong.

and another thing, the 280zx is a POS.

Chinese fuel injected garbage. kinda the reason why it is sitting in the drive way and has been for a month. i post a few times to try to find out whats wrong with it. you guys are GUESSING. OK its your CHTS!!!! wow, guess what. i replaced it. SAME THING. hmm maybe its your water sensor? or your MAF whatever the hell a maf is. ohhh and thats when i get a post out. when i post i get bitched at by some "higher up" person on this site saying search first. and title your post so it can be found in later searches. you guys are the ones that will have the world running on computers one day because your too damn lazy to answer a few questions to help a guy out. this is a FORUM, this is not a damn dictionary. if it was I'd be on wiki or something. the money i spend on a sensor i can do a V8 swap. its ridiculous. but I'm not even going to bother doing that. i have it on craigslist to trade for another car. never again will i buy a fuel injected car unless its new and a good brand. ban me, doesn't really matter. do what you want. i will go on and do my own thing and find my own help because clearly you guys aren't helping. if anything the senior members of this site are the "know it all"

don't waste your strength replying. this is the last time I'm checking into this forum.

Guest michanic220

i love that..

i just love that.

when did i say i was doing the swap?

i posted another thread saying wouldnt it be cool to have a jeep engine in a Z car. use your lil search thing im sure you can find it.

BUT I CLEARLY STATED I AM NOT INTERESTED IN DOING THIS ENGINE SWAP.

and your daddy had a buick 350. 66, niceee. guess what. take your fuel injected car flip it upside down. wow! IT LEAKS OUT OF THE GAS CAP!

i've had enough of this.

if anybody that HAS helped me needs to get ofhold of me michanic220@yahoo.com

other then that. i wont be back.

Hey, my dad had a Buick 350 in his '66 Wagoneer. It ran great until you got it so vertical that it sucked all the fuel out of the float. Backing down a steep hill without power brakes or power steering makes for one exciting ride.

Back on topic though. If you were seriously looking to perform the swap then most of the bright points about the '91 and up H.O. 4.0 have been pointed out. Like I said before though, it all comes down to commitment, fabrication skill and the amount of cash/work you were willing to put into it.

• 2 weeks later...
i love that..

i just love that.

when did i say i was doing the swap?

i posted another thread saying wouldnt it be cool to have a jeep engine in a Z car. use your lil search thing im sure you can find it.

BUT I CLEARLY STATED I AM NOT INTERESTED IN DOING THIS ENGINE SWAP.

and your daddy had a buick 350. 66, niceee. guess what. take your fuel injected car flip it upside down. wow! IT LEAKS OUT OF THE GAS CAP!

i've had enough of this.

if anybody that HAS helped me needs to get ofhold of me michanic220@yahoo.com

other then that. i wont be back.

Cool, now I have an email for all those newsletters that I don't want to read and sites that I don't care to register using my own email or real information.

Thanks.

and another thing, the 280zx is a POS.

Chinese fuel injected garbage.

I totally agree the 280ZX is completely POS ..... :) I mean who would want to own such a junker!!!! Like mister Tony D says .. GREAT drive-line donors!!

However the fact its in your driveway makes the Mechanic POS :P