HybridZ

Most reliable Nissan 4 cyl for swap?

txbeaux

I have owned Z cars for 28 years but never another type of Datsun/Nissan car or truck. Here's the deal. I had a barnfresh 1966 Datsun 411 Wagon kinda fall into my lap and I'm looking to put a more modern drivetrain in it. Does anyone know anything about what will fit and work the best? It has a J13 engine & 4 speed. I read elsewhere that the "L" series would be a good candiate. I'm a little interested in Megasquirt so even something newer might be of interest. Ofcourse I don't have a unlimited budget and am more interested in economy and the nostalgic aspect. Anyone???

CA18DET - 173 hp

KA24E - 140 hp

KA24DE - 155 hp

GA16DE - 115 hp

Very interesting. Dual cams seem to be very popular. What about the cost for complete engines and what 5 speeds fit? Dallas is 45 minutes away and there are several companies selling JDM engines/transmissions. Don't know if they are complete or not, probably don't include electronics. Checking craigslist, all cheap complete cars seem to have bad motors. Where are they found....wrecking yard, pick & pull???

The GA16DE is a front wheel drive motor, might have problems adapting it to a rear wheel drive setup as the distributor will end up at the back of the motor facing the firewall. Other than that it is a great little motor.

Wheelman

Yeah it would be a bit of work to get it to sit right.

I'd consider a CA20 with a CA18 transmission if it's at all possible. Probably a bit more durable than the GA16.

CA18DET is a great little motor, but it was never available in the US. Even though most parts (like crank and block) are identical as in the CA16DE, I wouldn't choose this one.

SR20 is a nice engine, very popular too - but there are SO MANY OF THEM, I mean, I haven't seen a car that it hasn't been swapped into (maybe except for a Civic)! Plus, the DE motor that was available in the States was used in FWD platforms, which means that it has a different block than RWD cars and the S13/14/15 transmissions won't fit without an adapter.

KA24DE looks like the best option here - it's tough as nails, parts are plentiful, plus it's relatively easy to find one, because almost everyone change them for SRs. Dunno why, really...

CA18DET is a great little motor, but it was never available in the US. Even though most parts (like crank and block) are identical as in the CA16DE, I wouldn't choose this one.

SR20 is a nice engine, very popular too - but there are SO MANY OF THEM, I mean, I haven't seen a car that it hasn't been swapped into (maybe except for a Civic)! Plus, the DE motor that was available in the States was used in FWD platforms, which means that it has a different block than RWD cars and the S13/14/15 transmissions won't fit without an adapter.

KA24DE looks like the best option here - it's tough as nails, parts are plentiful, plus it's relatively easy to find one, because almost everyone change them for SRs. Dunno why, really...

The 200SX turbo from 84-86 had the CA18ET here in the united states. It's not the DOHC, but it's still a CA turbo engine. The CA was used in FWD application in several other cars in the USA, so finding some parts shouldn't be TOO hard.

But I'm gonna have to side with the many others here and say the KA would be the way to go. It's got quite a lot of displacement to play with, and there's lots of parts availble for these engines. They have quite the selection of turbo manifolds to choose from "over the counter" so to speak, more than you can say about any L series... And as 1 fast Z has shown, their DOHC head flows pretty darn well. Just get the air in and out, tune it and it should make decent power for the cam profile and displacement.

As far as where to get one? I see the DOHC engines nearly every visit I make to the junkyard around here. Don't forget they came in the Xterra and Frontier too. It really shouldn't be too hard to find one for a good price.

Tranny wise, I think the older SOHC engine used the same tranny as the L28E. Not sure if it's the same bellhousing though. I've seen people mate the Z31 tranny to them though, and those are stout enough for the torque the motors make.

• 2 months later...

ka24de with a custom tuned ecu from e-mance.com will get you 300-350 hp from a stock block, 400 with e85. and a t3/t4 turbo. just need injectors/wg/re-curculation valve/walbero pump/intecooler etc....

or build a ka block, get over 700 hp. some 1200hp examples exist but are not practical for street. 500-700 is the most i would go for street.

my best friend has a s14 with a ka24de and has never been beat by a sr20 swapped car. why? because sr's are ghey and small and aluminum and have a horrible valve train. thats my opinion. so many s13/14 guys are swapping in sr20's, its funny, kinda like having a ss Chevy with a 350 and swapping in a smaller engine.

i have a ka24de turboed with a holset. its pushing 320hp ish, at 14-15 psi. and i daily drive it for 2 years. the motor has 180k on it. and has 175psi accross the board. its all in the tune!!! thats the secret! get a tuned ecu and save yourself a headache, you don't need a fpr or fmu to get it dialed in. any setup is possible with stock ecu, just send it in to get chipped for anything you want.

the stock tranny for the ka24de is the same for all the years of the 240sx. they are pretty strong, basicly the same as a rb20. they can handle 300ish hp for a long time. but you can get a kit to install a z32 tt tranny and use an rb flywheel and 350z clutch. that will handle 500 or more hp. go to ka-t.org

sr20det, very easy to get. bullet proof. My wife drove one for over 4 years 60 miles a day with no problems. I dynoed mine because it wasnt running enough power when I put it in a g20, 258.7hp, 258.2 trq. at the wheels(about 310 crank) and that flooded itself. by 2krpm it was under 10/1 and never came back. Turns out the return line was smaller in the g than the sentra I had!:mrgreen:

Ofcourse I don't have a unlimited budget and am more interested in economy and the nostalgic aspect. Anyone???

KA's are dirt cheap thanks to sr20 swapping nuts:mrgreen: My Frontier has 205k miles on it and runs perfect. If you are going to stay n/a more cc's = more torque= more fun in traffic and easier to drive. There's a reason Nissan used them in everything that was heavier than a Sentra.

Well they are both good engines. Nissan did use the SR in other cars heavier than the Sentra. They were produced for differnt applications. The KA is a torque engine, hence trucks. It makes good torque but doesnt have the higher rpm rush the SR does. In a car that light anything would get it to go! A stock KA is cheap. If you want uncommon go with a CA engine. Big in Japan but not here. What about an L20B from a 200sx?

Well they are both good engines. Nissan did use the SR in other cars heavier than the Sentra. They were produced for differnt applications. The KA is a torque engine, hence trucks. It makes good torque but doesnt have the higher rpm rush the SR does. In a car that light anything would get it to go! A stock KA is cheap. If you want uncommon go with a CA engine. Big in Japan but not here. What about an L20B from a 200sx?

have you ridden in a ka-t with a larger turbo (that suits the bigger displacement, not a tiny t28)? they rev to 7k rpms and with a good tune and a cam swap it revs higher than a sr. and safely, it has better valve train.