HybridZ

L28 EFI problems? EFI Bible, step 1-A

Daeron

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/efisystem/280zfuelinjectionbook.pdf

Right click, choose "save as," and read it.

Read the first section all the way through, the start over and read it a second time. If you are feeling spunky about graduating from Datsun EFI School cum laude, then read through each diagnostic check and then go back and read the entire first section a third time.

Then, when you have a problem, go read the relevant portions of the first section, and perform the relevant tests according to the flow charts.

Every... Single.... Problem... that your fuel-injected L28 could possibly have, is covered in there, more accurately than you could even hope for from HybridZ. Granted, wiring problems get difficult to track down.. but if you pay attention while you read, you realize that ALL testing of any components is supposed to be done at the ECU plug, and not at the component. Checking a component at the ECU plug not only checks that the component (AFM, TPS, whatever) is functioning right, but it also tests the wiring at the same time.

Download it. Print it. Staple each page to the ceiling above your bed so the information trickles down into your brain by osmosis and haunts your dreams. (Stay AWAY FROM ME, EGR MONSTER!!!!!:flamedevi) Most of this information is also in the Factory Service Manuals, available for download here.

Please be kind enough to utilize these resources to the fullest before asking questions of the general HybridZ populace; the purpose of this community is primarily performance oriented, and stock running questions get tiresome to answer over and over again. If you DO have the "newbie question" then having researched your problem (read: being able to say "I read the EFI bible but....") will GREATLY increase YOUR odds of getting a helpful answer.

Go now, in Peace, to Wrench and Tune the Z.

STICKY STICKY STICKY.....

Daeron... right on guy! Just want to add, replace every damn vacumn hose on the system, there aren't that many and vacumn leaks bugger the system. Check the boot between the AFM and the throttle body. Pull it off, spread the pleats and look in there and make sure it isn't cracked. Next, disconnect every wiring harness connector plug on the system (the wiring harness for the EFI is a separate harness from the whole rest of the car) and shoot some contact cleaner in there. Scrub gently with tooth brush and rinse with more contact cleaner.

Just for the record, I enjoy troubleshooting EFI issues (when I have time)

CTS TPS AAV EGR AFM thermotime injector dropping resistor EFI fuel injected throttle body throttle position sensor air flow airflow meter ECU injection manual book procedure test calibrate vacuum diagram troubleshooting flowchart troubleshoot diagnose sick L28 280Z 280ZX help

Searchy Says :-D

• 2 months later...
CTS TPS AAV EGR AFM thermotime injector dropping resistor EFI fuel injected throttle body throttle position sensor air flow airflow meter ECU injection manual book procedure test calibrate vacuum diagram troubleshooting flowchart troubleshoot diagnose sick L28 280Z 280ZX help

Searchy Says :-D

lmao

• 1 year later...
If you need factory service manuals, check out www.xenons30.com/reference.html.

Not sure what happened to that original thread...

DUDE DAERON YOU ROCK!! i didn't know they had an s30 version of the Xenon site serves me right for thinkin anyways i just got my FSM for my 87 from they're Xenonz31.com site its good stuff for any of you that haven't downloaded it yet it get on it its good stuff for any and all trouble shooting :mrgreen: i'm feelin less noobish everyday thanks to you guys but a wise man admits he knows nothing and is willing to learn as much as he can :icon28: and everyone on this site has contributed to a lifetimes worth of knowledge on a car its good to know the crazy other terrible things that people have done to cars besides me and done them with sucess more importantly! anyways i gotta download mine on my home comp when i get off work

~J

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

WOW, this is great. I bought a Haynes manual in hopes of it having a troubleshooting guide but it does not. Today I got the engine to crank but not start so I was going to search or post about fuel troubleshooting. I am glad I saw this before posting a thread to get flamed on for not searching. This will help so much.

WOW, this is great. I bought a Haynes manual in hopes of it having a troubleshooting guide but it does not. Today I got the engine to crank but not start so I was going to search or post about fuel troubleshooting. I am glad I saw this before posting a thread to get flamed on for not searching. This will help so much.

Thank YOU for using the forums in the proper way! All I did was post a thread that I could hotlink to when I wanted to refer someone to the book.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...