HybridZ

Turbo 240Z

I'm planning a performance build up of my 240Z. I already have an F54 block and I'm looking for a P90A head. My question is, is it possible to setup a turbo L28 with a carburetter induction system instead of EFI? I personally hate EFI and have heard horror stories regarding the L28 EFI system. I know it's been done before, but I don't know how feasible it is.

A buddy of mine in Australia had a twin turbo 3.4l Toyota Hemi in his 240Z, he used a carb set up, worked pretty well for him... Twenty years ago. I'd go with a MegaSquirt system, seem pretty easy to use and quite effective. EFI isn't really that bad, honestly. Coming from EFI and trying to learn carbs is a lot harder than learning EFI was! =/

if you want any real enjoyable power, you wouldn't use the stock fuel injection at all; just most of the hardware (manifold, etc not ECU or any of that)

However if you are really dead-set on a carb/turbo setup, the information is here to be searched for.. its rather pricey and finicky though, and you better know how to tune weber/mikuni style side draft carburetors rather well. Not only that, but you have to ignore at least half of your NA carb tuning instincts.. its a tricky field. With megasquirt, it is essentially assemble the pieces (NOT as intimidating as any stock EFI Z car looks, TRUST ME) and punch some numbers in on a computer. Need to change something, any one parameter, at any one engine speed? change that number in the cell. The forumlas are largely tried and true, well enough to get you to a baseline from which to tweak for your car's specific personality... It is far far simpler and more effective than with a carburetor.

That is THE major reason turbocharged cars were nowhere NEAR as common before the 80's as they have become since; to have reliable, safe, long-living power generated, you need it all to be computer controlled and not governed by air flowing through tubes.

I am a computer technician. And I think this is one of the reasons that I want to go with blowthrough carbs instead of EFI. I work on computers all day. When I work on my car, I dont want anything to do with computers. Another reason is the pure old-school-cool of blown triple webbers. Its almost like bragging rights... "Well I actually got my carbs to work, all you did is type numbers"

(although I dont even have the carbs yet...) lol

This is my proposed supercharger set up.

The supercharger is from an SLK Mercedes with an electric clutch so I can run it when I want to. After what TonyD informed me on having a higher pressure in the float bowls than the carbs I decided the best way is to run a seperate line from the super charger to the float bowls to get the pressure required. I can bleed off some of the pressure with the needle valve if required. The flow loss through the intercooler will take car of the needed pressure differental. I will be running a second air cleaner down stream of the intercooler with a check valve. With about 10 PSI of boost the old 280 engine should get some new life.

Sup_Layout_1.JPG

New_Set_Up.JPG

This is the sketch of about how I hope it will come together.

Just bought the turbo engine a couple of months ago so have a back up if I blow up the old 280 engine.

I don't like computers either. In most way I think I perfer points in the distributor and carbs. If it doesn't start I can always figure out what is wrong.

I actually did do a search but got conflicting answers and ideas. I know EFI with an after market EFI setup would probably be easier, but I'm old school all the way. Any particular model of tripple mikuni I should get? I'm also guessing that I'll have to have most of the parts custom fabricated, like the manifolds and such. All of my searches on the interwebs have turned up no companies that actually sell a carb'd turbo L28 setup.

...In most way I think I perfer points in the distributor and carbs. If it doesn't start I can always figure out what is wrong.

Well, let's not get too carried away with old school here. It seems that the points dizzy is easy to configure and troubleshoot but I do believe in the quickness of electronic ign dizzys! Just too short of a dwell on high revs to get maximum output on points type dizzys :icon12: !! As for what type of Mikunis, I love them too but, heck they're hard to find. I'd stick to the Webers and maybe try and see if any of the power valves can be bored out for the forced induction setup. I've seen the power valves bored out on the Holley 650 carbs for more fuel on turbo applications but side drafts are just too much of a new beast. If anyone can figure the turbo configuration on triples with awesome fuel supply curves then, heck I'd turbo my trips in a heartbeat!

TonyD is the most knowledgeable person on this subject. From what I have read in his posts you really do not have to do anything on the internals of the carbs. One thing that is neat on the HSK box is the internal baffling that is engineered to have the proper float bowl pressure compared to throat pressure on the carbs.

I do have electronic ignition on my z. but if something goes wrong I would have to just through parts at it to get it running again. On my blow through project I will use a ZX dizzy using only the centripetal advance. One reason I am going with the supercharger is low RPM HP and a broad flat power curve.

This tread need to be moved to turbo/supercharger.

SHO-Z. Forgot to give you kudos on your project! I was wondering when someone will find the treasures lurking in discarded superchargers! This is a very common thing to do in other countries like Australia to salvage chargers for cheaply acquired forced induction! How/what are you going to adapt as to the pulley (which will give you your up/down psi). My other car is a MBZ c230 Kompressor but my wife will prob kill me if I take it out :o !!!

Cool. Looks like you've got the pulley problems solved. Honestly, I would love to see you successfully use a salvaged charger. It would be very invaluable to have this custom mounted by someone like you and documented for everyone else's benefit. There are tons of charger sources out there from MBZ to Toyota to Subarus, etc.... Please keep us posted!

...and you're right, maybe this should be on the turbo threads!!!

This is my proposed supercharger set up.

Just bought the turbo engine a couple of months ago so have a back up if I blow up the old 280 engine.

I don't like computers either. In most way I think I perfer points in the distributor and carbs. If it doesn't start I can always figure out what is wrong.

Thats cool..but one thing to remember when you turbo carb set-ups.. you don't need as much fuel as a stock n/a setup because the fuel is sucked in..My uncle had a turbo 305 in a montcarlo, he only needed a 650 carb to make the power you would need a 750 or better on a n/a setup...

Frank 280ZX could idle his triple ITB's blowthrough setup at 2300 rpms and have 2psi of boost. At 1700, he easily had 7psi under WOT.

And that pulled 'like insane' to 7000+

Similarly, my Blow-Through system was set to have full boost of 17psi at 1700rpms. Everydody who poo-pooed turbos because 'they have non-linear power output' without 'low end power' really got taken aback when they went for a ride in the old Shark Car.

It's all how you set it up. Turbos don't have to come 'on boost' at 4000+ rpms. And if the do come on early, there's no reason they need to be 'out of breath' by 6000 either.

It's all old wive's tales perpetuated on the internet by people 'reading' a far bit more than they are actually 'doing'!

Everydody who poo-pooed turbos because 'they have non-linear power output' without 'low end power' really got taken aback when they went for a ride in the old Shark Car.

It's all how you set it up. Turbos don't have to come 'on boost' at 4000+ rpms. And if the do come on early, there's no reason they need to be 'out of breath' by 6000 either.

It's all old wive's tales perpetuated on the internet by people 'reading' a far bit more than they are actually 'doing'!

Amen!