HybridZ

ZXR .. Super turbo prosponed BMW V8 planned

frank280zx

Ok i have been of the air a while .. in my garage trying to get my L reliable as a track car .. and i have failed..... next to that after driving my Diesel Beamers I have fallen for something called torque.

I kept being haunted by little crap, that in all good preparation could have been avoided .., but it is there...

There is no part support whatsoever in Europe so it all takes time and it starts to annoy me.

Then on top of that the fact the Xanders Chev powered V8 z is moving ... I'm just not a push rod guy.

i don't want this to become a discussion on witch is better.. i just feel that way.

So out comes the L in my ZXR........ Ill use that in my 78 ZX or my 2+2 it will get the super turbo but that has been put on the longer term.

And it will all be toned down .. that will help durability allot :) this summer I want to get that ZXR to run right! This winter ill start fiddling with the l6 again

Heres is what i have come up with:

I just bought an BMW M62B44 with Getrag 6 box and all wiring and computers (so a BMW v8)

Ill pick up either tomorrow or Saturday... then the weekend after ill take the L out and ill start measuring ..

Very curious ... at first glance it should fit, only the front sump is a bit of a concern but can in the M62 be modified fairly simple as the nmw E30 guys do when they swap the engine into that.

I contemplated an s62 (M5) but the G sensors and extra scavenger pumps in the front sump will definitely result in sub frame issues in an s130.

With an MTECH chip the engine will deliver around 330HP for now that is a good baseline for a track car.

Why a BMW?

-The cost you can pick up these engines here all day long for between 300 and a 1000 euros ..

-Aftermarket is HUGE in Europe… you can buy lighter flywheels clutches, turbo or sc kits, ecu upgrades etc etc!

-Its is a very cool looking engine .. and im a BMW guy I love their engineering and reliability.

-Plug and play after the install and a 6 speed gearbox to boot

Some Specs

2107_11lo.jpg

M62B44 4.4 L (4398 cc/268 in³) 210 kW (282 hp) @ 5700 420 N•m (310 ft•lbf) @ 3900 6100

(ok that is not torque compared to a chev …. But this engine weighs in at only 210 kg!!!)

Witch on a track counts (brakes)

he M62B44 is a 4.4 L (4398 cc) with a 92 mm bore and 82.7 mm stroke. Output is 283 hp (210 kW) at 5750 RPM with 310 ft (420 Nm) of torque at 3900 RPM.

Ill post pics .. I plan to spend some time on this

The car

zxr_boot.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh GEEZE, a BEAMER engine. oh, my, what a travesty. you are making a mockery of all things datsun.

please stop this blasphemy, oh no, i cannot take it any longer. the pain, it burns to my very soul.

In case you couldn't tell, that was sarcasm. :2thumbs: I cannot think of any marque whose engines I would like to see under the hood of a datsun MORE.. (MAYBE an old DOHC aluminum alfa engine, but thats just silly personal reasons for that.) However.... your Bavarian Beast seems to be missing four cylinders though.... Getrag box, ZX-R.. why no V-12?? :mrgreen:

you KNOW we are going to want tons of photos..... and some video, once she lives. :rockon:

That's an awesome engine choice!

Maybe in 20 years when they're everywhere around here I'll consider that swap myself... :D

BMW makes some nice motors, I doubt many here would even attempt to argue that.

They'd be quite wrong if they did =]

Ok some baseline facts on the engine:

Xander saw some possible problems with the engine fitment could be an issue because of the double overhead cam

A s130 ZX engine bay is 80CM across and 78 at the brake booster

here you see an LS1 being roughly 55 Cm (~22 inch)

M62_vs_LS1_05.jpg

The M62 BMW v8 is roughly 69 cm at the widest point

This shows that the 4.4L M62 is nearly 7" than a 5.7L LS1, but it leaves room to spare!

M62_vs_LS1_03.jpg

so it widthwise i should not run into any problems

only problem could be the steering linkage, but the engine is fairly slim at the bottom..

Daeron: i have read chelles story and the sump is just massively in the way .. next to that the engine doesn't have the extra power output to justify the 4 extra cylinders, It makes perfect sense in a GTO replica, but for my track the weight and positioning of the engine give more advantages than some torque gains..

I am really more attached to the idea in a naive way TBH, function must take priority over form in my book as well. I cannot WAIT to hear this car as-is; the rest was just me daydreaming.

To be honest i almost bought a 12 cylinder a while back ;) but got ripped out of my daydream by reading chelles post ;)

The V8 has much more advantages over the v12 for what im doing .. though the sump could be an issue here to.

The engine has two oil pans so basically a middle and rear sump

its a bit hazy but the best i could find

P1010002.jpg

plus an exploded view ( note the sump)

2002%204.4l%20V8%20engine.jpg

Anyhow the sump is fairly slim upfront

web_sump.jpg

This is in a e30 drift car btw, so far that is my biggest concern, im sure many will follow ;)

So first an M62 if it all works ill be on the look out for an s62 :)

Here are some pics of the steering shaft side of the engine .. the stock pipes seem to clear the whole deal at first glance

b6ea_12.JPG

and here the area that might spell trouble

b577_12.JPG

and a stock dyno graph to show the av. output

bmw840i.jpg

He doesn't tell the best part...I put it forth for the quote of the month:

"I was just driving down the road and the oil pressure went away...and I lost a rod bearing! I'm finished with the L's for now, I'm putting in an F-ing M5 Engine, I can get one with a gearbox for under 3000 F-ing euros!"

Eeeeeasy there, Big Fella. Next thing you know, he's going to wear cowboy boots and emigrate to Montana!

LOL

He doesn't tell the best part...I put it forth for the quote of the month:

"I was just driving down the road and the oil pressure went away...and I lost a rod bearing! I'm finished with the L's for now, I'm putting in an F-ing M5 Engine, I can get one with a gearbox for under 3000 F-ing euros!"

Eeeeeasy there, Big Fella. Next thing you know, he's going to wear cowboy boots and emigrate to Montana!

LOL

:lmao:

Priceless.. The funny thing is, if you lose a ROD on an L, the engine stays running until you run out of oil...

+1 for QOTM

:lmao:

Priceless.. The funny thing is, if you lose a ROD on an L, the engine stays running until you run out of oil...

+1 for QOTM

A friend has an L24 with a softball sized hole in the block with a rod halfway out... They had the motor running like that!

haha well thank for that Tony ..

That all said and done ...

here is some updates .

In an s130 it actually seems to fit with no modifications to either sump ( not something you would want to do in the first place) Nor the cross member.

The good part is that the s130 steering rack is behind the cross member end the cross member bends back.

As far as i measured it lays about 6 cm from the fire wall with the driver side cylinder head witch is ok as there is a coolant balance pipe behind the heads.

I test fitted it in an empty bay with no mounts and that went in fairly ok, only the exhaust manifolds are very close to the frame rail!!! and i cant really tell without the mounts if i have to modify those to fit...

The plan is to mount 'big' aluminum 15mm plates to the spots where the normal mounts are ( extended to the back) and the tap thread in that and use something similar to the stock pass side L mounts, that seems to be very close to where it should be...!

here is a pick of the cross member under the engine in about the position it should be in.

NOTE: the OEM mount is still on there slightly forward, you cant just remove the driver side as their are two oil lines through the mount. i wil cut out freeing up 3 bolts and leaving enough bolts to seal those lines

bmw_v8_with_s130_crossmember.jpg

More pictures will follow :)

PS the engine still looks a bit rough.. but when it works ill adress that with new shiny bits

What went wrong with the L series? But for power, yea you made the better decision on the bmw.

wanting to much to fast!

I guess you can built a 300/350 horse track car fairly easy BUT it takes allot of fab work in a zx like a sump mod as some corners pull so much G's they will set the pump BONE dry.

So all that stuff will build in my 'street' zx just for cruising and some sprints .. this way it will stay in one part. (an no the turbo super idea is not dead!!just prosponed)

Next to that i have driven Xanders chevy V8 s30 a couple of times and liked the torque feel, similar to my diesel, and Xanders Z is by no means an all out V8 just a moderate street able Build with a geustimate 300 horses.

However im just not a guy for push rods or 50's design engines when im doing a swap.. (note personal taste nothing wrong with them.. i just don't want to sport them in my car)

Seeing for instance azizas (LS) z at MSA this year, got me more interested.

But as i always like BMW and their engines, and they are as available here as ls1's there.. the choice was made fairly fast.

I don't need GOBS of hp for now as i need to take that through corners aswel..

so that is basically it..

Im still contemplating ways of mounting the engine. i have two options that seem very feasible.

However im just not a guy for push rods or 50's design engines when im doing a swap.. (note personal taste nothing wrong with them.. i just don't want to sport them in my car)

Seeing for instance azizas (LS) z at MSA this year, got me more interested.

The LS is a lowly pushrod engine frank.

and I think Sjaaks idea of mounting the engine would make for a much nicer/cleaner install. Go for it!