HybridZ

3800/T5 swap started

twalton

What you need to do it search the buick web sites about the GN turbo setup. I believe they came from the factory with about 6-8 psi of boost. I know there is lots of information out there about that setup. Not to mention lots of parts to include: turbos, intercoolers and such!

HB280ZT

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The problem with that is some of that stuff is specifically made for Buicks. Intercoolers are general application, you just need to make sure they physically fit on your car. Turbos as always are general application, unless they have a specific, non T based flange. Not to bust your balls or anything, just wanted to clear that up. None (or very little) of that kind of stuff designed for the GNX will work. Now, electronics, anything motor related besides mounts, manifolds, heads, etc should all work no problem.

T: Take the stock headers and try and flip them forward, see what you run into clearance issues with. I'd bet you're either going to have to run some funky piping or relocate some accesories to make it work, but I don't know for sure. Either way, can't hurt to try!

Just for the idea of a front mounted turbo, here is a SBC with such an install.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=134781

Looking at the pics on the 1st page of this thread, it looks like there might be some issues clearancing some flipped headers [or the like] for a front mount turbo. That motor is sitting really low and far back!!

Compression of the motor might be an issue, wikipedia lists it at 9.4, which could pose a problem when turboing a stock block. The supercharged version has a 8.5 CR.

I understand the difference between a buick 3.8 and a chevy 3.8. What I was mostly talking about was the turbo and intercooler as they were setup for the 3.8 motor and made right at 245 factory rwhp on the buick motor. The buick was also running a 200R4 automatic transmission vice a 5-speed, so more power loss. So if you could get between 225-250rwhp out of the chevy 3.8 that would be great, remember the supercharged version is getting around 270 rwhp at very low boost. Now factor in that the motor is further back and down more in the car you should have a nicely balanced track car to start with. Now the question is how much weight difference is there between the 2.8 and the 3.8??

I also am wondering how you will route the exhaust from a front mounted turbo around the motor when it takes up most of the engine bay behind the engine/steering cross member? I would like to see pictures of this!

HB280ZT

I'd have recommended the stock supercharger off the supercharged versions, but it puts the intake straight into the firewall IIRC. On an F-Body there isn't enough room to turn it around, you might be able to get creative on a Z car but honestly I'd just go front mount turbo. More powaaaa!

If he's going to run any decent sized turbo 250 will be no problems.

Well, I got the pacesetter headers in for this project and well, suffice it to say I had to modify them quite a bit to gain clearance. Had to turn them into a true block hugger type but I was pretty pleased with the outcome. I appreciate the feedback re: forced induction. I prob. could have engineered this car for the stock 3.8 supercharged motor by sliding the whole engine forward enough to route TB plumbing. I need to do some more research.I agree with Pete that 9.4 compression for the stock motor seems a lil high for a turbo. I know it has been done with the camaro 3.8 as well as a number of nonturbo fwd 3.8 platforms. Will have to jump to one of those forums to see how those cars are being set up.

Well, I ordered a Tilton clutch cylinder(3/4") and intend to sort out the clutch hydraulics before pulling the motor back out and welding up the engine cradle to frame rails. Im hoping the 3/4" master will be ok with the stock hydraulic TOB. I modified a 1st gen. RX7 fuel tank to use an in tank fuel pump(I modified a fuel pump assembly pulled from a v6 FI maxima.) I will post some more pics of some of the progress soon.

• 1 year later...

awesoem thread! Ok I have 05 3800(series 3?) supercharged engine with all the necessary goodies =D except the ecu =(. I want to put this into a 79 or 83 datsun(whichever one I buy tomorrow!). For the custom fab mounts how much is it costing you? For redoing the wiring harness, are you doing that yourself as well? or is there a neat/easy way you are working out that issue? I work at a shop and we have an extra bay hehe and I really really want to do this swap!!! I drove the 05 gtp sc car today and from a 70 roll it moved!

Any and all help about this swap would be great! Thanks!!

• 4 weeks later...

nope not yet, i am getting my car up and running with the stock engine; then on the side modifying the 3.8 sc and getttign everything ready for a smooth install. that is if i dont jsut trubo my car, my buddy has a sick custom built prescesion turbo he wants to sell me so well see.

• 1 month later...

I have put prob. bout 8k miles on the 3800 conversion since completing.I have been VERY satisfied with the reliability of the car. Has made a great daily driver. Has plenty of room up front for a turbo conversion.The 3.8 camaro guys run their stock cars with fairly low boost for a good power gain. As previously mentioned, a turbo setup will require a custom pair of forward facing headers with y-pipe for a front mount turbo setup.I am contemplating building up one of these little motors and going that route.

The setup is a LOT stronger than the stock inline with the su carbs.Decently quicker than the '75 FI Z I owned. I est. about 215 horse with the mods I have.The camaro T5 works real well with the Datsun rear end ratio also. I prob. would have gone with a 280zx turbo setup had I been able to find one locally(the inlines are sweet motors) but I have been real pleased with the 3.8 setup. Have had zero reliability problems.

I was curious what did you do as far as cooling goes? Radiator and fans-did you stay with the stock l36 rad and fans stock or did you do aftermarket? With the tranny swap what all had to happen with the driveshaft? Did the swap require changing out the clutch slave cylinder or the brake master cylinder? sorry for all the questions but curiousity is killing me