HybridZ

Does auto body paint go bad?

PETEW

Hello,

I am buying another Z next week and the previous owner, to the guy I am buying the car, from has some paint still in a can from when the car got painted. I think it was painted about 6-8 years ago. Will this paint be good? There is a spot on the door I would like to get fixed and if I can get this paint (custom mix) instead of having new stuff made I figured it would make it cheaper to repair and also a better match. I searched but couldn't find an answer. Thanks for the help.

The short answer is yes. How long it takes to become unusable is a question that cannot be answered without taking into consideration a great many variables that will effect the shelf life. There are so many complex mixtures comprised of different ingredients, even from a single paint company that the only way to find out how a particular paint will react is by testing it out and spray some small test pieces. You may find that additional hardners have to be added because the paint just will not dry. You may find that the correct viscosity for spraying cannot be achieved while maintaining color stability. My suggestion is...experiment with it before using it on the car. I have had success using paint that old and even matched the color beautifully and also I've had some real tragic results that had to be removed, which eats up a lot of time. So, just test it out, check for color match, hardening properties etc. Good Luck.

• 9 years later...
30 minutes ago, Jaggars_14 said:

Instead of repainting the vehicle you should go for custom vinyl vehicle wraps. They not only look good but are quite easy to install. The entire installation process takes very less time and you can find varieties in vehicle wraps colors as well as designs.

Instead of spamming this forum maybe you should go away.

On 7/12/2008 at 10:05 AM, PETEW said:

Hello,

I am buying another Z next week and the previous owner, to the guy I am buying the car, from has some paint still in a can from when the car got painted. I think it was painted about 6-8 years ago. Will this paint be good? There is a spot on the door I would like to get fixed and if I can get this paint (custom mix) instead of having new stuff made I figured it would make it cheaper to repair and also a better match. I searched but couldn't find an answer. Thanks for the help.

Single stage or base/clear.

What brand.

Absolutely need new hardener. If you are paying to get it done you may have trouble getting the paint shop to get onboard using paint of unknown origins. 

Derek